Defensive Carry banner

The obsolete Federal Hydra Shok

5K views 37 replies 32 participants last post by  jem102 
#1 ·
Still seems to work very well. This big bodied 8 pointer went crashing down ( collapsed immediately ) when hit at an estimated 15 yard quartering away shot.Dont know about anyone else, but I'm not seeing any evidence on living matter that the old stuff is out dated as far as effective performance.
Pistol was a G22 ( my issue carry) with a 155 weight Hydra Shok.

I have now tested every brand of defensive ammo in every common defensive caliber on live game, with the exception of exotic ammo and newly marketed in the last 5 or so years.

See less See more
#4 ·
No. It did not completely penetrate. I found it in the upper cavity, going towards the neck and brisket area. The bullet was badly deformed. I estimated 14-16 inches of penetration.
My intention was to keep the bullet to post for pics, but could not find it after getting home.

#3 ·
Wait a second...all this time I thought humans and animals were getting harder and harder to kill. I mean honestly, after getting shot with a Hydra Shok in .40 caliber I figured the deer just thumbed his nose at you and ran off because that round/brand combination is at least 10 years outside of the effective killing date :smile:.

Edit: On a serious note nice deer!

#5 ·
To think, it was dropped with one of those mean, nasty COP killer bullets! Seriously though, nice deer. Are they in full rut there now?

#6 ·
Nice, you will have meat for the freezer.

Reactions: DefConGun
#11 ·
Great post. 15 yard shot is my kind of hunting.

I would have no concerns about carrying a "old school" Hydra-Shok, I've got the 180 gr. in my Glock 27.

I doubt there are many times where slight differences in HP bullet design would significantly affect the outcome of a shot, given bullets of equal weight, caliber, power.
For example: 155 Hydra-Shok vs 155 Gold Dot vs 155 Hornady XTP (all 40 caliber) given the exact same shot placement would any of those really make that much (if any) difference over the other?

#14 ·
Nice deer, I think you may have accidentally captured a shot of Bigfoot kneeling in the background :wink:.

Reactions: atctimmy
#15 ·
Good job, Glockman. The quartering shot is the most difficult in my estimation. Another verification of the importance of bullet placement.

Big bodied, eh? I guess we are spoiled here in Iowa. ;)

#16 ·
Obviously that deer has not kept up on the latest gun rag ads or it would still be running and laughing at you for using "old technology" ammo!

The deer I dropped a few years back with a minnie ball didn't know it was a 150-yr-old bullet design either.

Reactions: Richard58
#23 ·
Gman your the only guy I know of that takes game with a defensive pistol and load, which I think is awesome!

#24 ·
Archer, they're in full rut just across the NC border, central portion of the state. And my neighbor got the big boy I've been looking for a couples of nights ago while I was 500 miles away. Least it wasn't a road hunter.

Glockman....self defense I assume? Why not pepper spray? Sheez. Seems excessive.

Nice work. Wish I could pull that one off. But hey, I have a buddy who took his daughter out last year for her first hunt. She got a doe, it went down and he went to get the 4 wheeler. When he got back his daughter was jumping all over the place. Neither of them saw the small buck behind the doe. She'd dropped them both on the spot, one shot. True story.

#25 ·
Meat in the freezer right before winter. Nicely done Gman! :bier:

#29 ·
That's what I have in my G23 right now. I manage recoil really well with this combination. Honestly, I didn't know it was considered out dated technology.

It works for me so i'll keep using it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.