Defensive Carry banner

The obsolete Federal Hydra Shok

5K views 37 replies 32 participants last post by  jem102 
#1 ·
Still seems to work very well. This big bodied 8 pointer went crashing down ( collapsed immediately ) when hit at an estimated 15 yard quartering away shot.Dont know about anyone else, but I'm not seeing any evidence on living matter that the old stuff is out dated as far as effective performance.
Pistol was a G22 ( my issue carry) with a 155 weight Hydra Shok.

I have now tested every brand of defensive ammo in every common defensive caliber on live game, with the exception of exotic ammo and newly marketed in the last 5 or so years.

See less See more
#30 ·
So much for outdated ammo and a short & weak cartridge :hand5:

I can't think of a better way to test bullet performance than hunting. Who needs gelatin when you have muscle and bone?

Reactions: DefConGun
#31 ·
And that's one reason I do it. I take two weeks of vacation every year for deer season, and I always take my limit of 4 deer. Not seen in the pic is a doe, that also went down with a 40 s&w round.

My wife and I enjoy the freezer being well stocked for the winter. We are also canning meat this year. For us a store house of food is more important than a huge cache of ammo.

And you are correct. The performance of ammo on animals that closely approximate the cavity area and organs of a human torso tell us much, much more about how ammo performs under real conditions than gelatin.

#38 ·
However...he wasn't wearing 4 layers of denim now was he? Makes all the difference you know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.