Defensive Carry banner

Ruger American bolt-action .243 rifle

4K views 35 replies 17 participants last post by  Stetson 
#1 ·
do you have one?

what do you think?

I see that it has a lot more kick than a .22..but will it take me long to adjust to it?

is it MUCH louder than a .22?

#4 ·
Ruger makes a few smaller bolt-action rifles - choose from .44 magnum, .357 magnum, .22 magnum, .22 Hornet, .22 LR or .17 HMR. All built on the 77/ frame, all using rotary magazines. You might not like the fact that they're priced hundreds of bucks more than the American, though.

I do love my Ruger 77 and 77/22 rifles, but for small game like rabbits, you can get the superb CZ455 for a substantially a smaller investment.

#5 ·
You don't want a .243 for rabbit or birds. It's WAY too much gun for them. The .243 is actually a very effective deer round in areas where your not hunting in heavy brush. Look at Savage, Marlin and Winchester. They all have .22 bolt action rifles in the $200.- 300. price range.

Reactions: zacii and HotGuns
#7 ·
The only bird that you aren't going to vaporize with a .243 is an ostrich. I'm thinking that especially for birds as you've stated, you're probably better suited with a shotgun for those game choices.

#10 ·
Small game can and usually are taken with .22 LR, .17HMR or a shotgun with pellets. A .223 is way too much and may also be illegal to use on small game(check your states game laws). Also it sounds as if you have little knowledge in hunting . Take a class or find someone to teach you the basics, it will be much more enjoyable and safer this way.

Reactions: zacii and archer51
#11 ·
For rabbits that are static, a .22 would work. Why are you looking for centerfire for rabbit? For rabbits on the move, shotguns are best.

#14 ·
Either a .22 LR or .22 mag, or a shotgun would be best for rabbits and squirrels. Now, if you just want a center fire rifle for range fun and possible hunting applications, then your possibilities are almost limitless. A center fire .22 such as a .223 or .22-250 would be good for larger varmints and even some smaller medium sized game using heavier bullets if your state allows it, though higher calibers would be better suited to that purpose. I would consider the .243 the minimum for such game, and this is the minimum allowed in many states.

The bottom line is that the rifle calibers you want to look at will be dictated by what you want to accomplish with it.

#15 ·
OP,
I didn't realize that you wanted this for small game. I'd second rocky's mention of the .17HMR if you really want center fire for small game, though there may be a .22 caliber limitation.

You really should take a good hunters course in you area. At the vary least, the NRA Hunter's safety class.

Definitely look into your local DNR rules and regs. for caliber and types of guns allowable for each game animal. I can't imagine not being allowed to use a shotgun for rabbit or birds.

#17 ·
Using anything more powerful than a .22 magnum will result in your rabbit being gutted, skinned, and shredded into burger, what little will be left. My .223 would "literally" disintegrate Rock Chucks (a relative of the ground hog/wood chuck).

My all-time favorite for rabbits was a double-barrel .410. Good for birds at reasonable range also.

#21 ·
For your stated purpose, I think a centerfire is a bit much.

If you're not hunting anything larger than a coyote, there is no need for even a .223. Unless, of course, that's just what you want. If so, then go for it.

A rimfire rifle is going to be easier to shoot, easier on the ears, easier on the wallet, and easier on your shoulder.

Everybody ought to have at least one .22 lr. They are the cheapest and easiest to find and feed.

However, the most fun I have is with my Marlin 917V, .17 HMR. You should be able to shoot MOA with a .17 HMR, right out of the box.

Marlins and Savages are the best, IMO, bolt action rimfires right out of the box for the money.

The CZ line of rimfires are very, very nice, but they'll cost you a little bit more.

The Rugers are nice too, but very expensive for what you're getting.

But, if you're convinced that you want a centerfire, then go with the .223. Again, look at Savage and their budget line Stevens. Very good guns for the money.

Remember, the rifle is only half the equation, you'll need some good glass to go with it. Again, this is where the rimfires have an advantage because you can get nice optics for nice prices. They aren't as violent on scopes as centerfire rifles are.

Happy shopping

ETA: For comparison sake, FMJ .223 goes anywhere from $7 to $12 per 20. Whereas .17 HMR and .22 WMR (.22 Mag) go for about $12-$14 per 50.

The ever popular .22 lr goes for considerably less. $18 for 500. It probably counts for more rabbits on the table than everything else combined.

#22 ·
Well, I guess I need to modify my first response. I have never shot the .17HMR but I had been under the assumption that it was center fire cartridge.

Shows what assumption will get you!

Listen to zacii, he's obviously more astute that I am!

#25 ·
Depending on where you are hunting a .22 LR/22 mag /.17 HMR may be too much due to the bullet travel as well. Shotguns are used for most birds and some other small game due to the bullet travel . Pellets lose momentum faster and have a pattern of shot making hits easier. Knowing your backstop is still important. Even for deer in some areas shotguns are used due to population density .
what do you intend to hunt?
where will this be location wise?

#29 ·
Just get a 22 magnum and be done with it. You can shoot WRF in it which are heavier thab the 22 lr, but less power than the WMR. And if you need to go after coyote sized animals you can use the WMR. Great versatility.

Or, if you want a light centerfire, go with the 22 Hornet, which extends the range from the 22 WMR to about 100 yards more, depending on the quarry.

Anything 223 or larger is way too much power for bunnies and birds.

#36 ·
The game you want to hunt you need to buy a shotgun.When I use to hunt birds I always used 12 gauge shotgun using number 6,op to number 8 shot.I bought a 243 for my sons first hunting rifle.I have a ruger in 270 in my collection and
it's an accurate shooter.It was a bicentenial model made in 1976.I put a wide angle scope on it and it's one of the easiest rifles
I ever owned to site in.It's never taken more than 3 rounds to hit black ! I purchased it from a co-worker for $400.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.