Ruger American bolt-action .243 rifle - Page 3

Ruger American bolt-action .243 rifle

This is a discussion on Ruger American bolt-action .243 rifle within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; .22 Hornet from Savage .22 Hornet ammo .17 HMR by Savage .17 HMR ammo .22 WMR by Savage .22 WMR ammo...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Ruger American bolt-action .243 rifle

Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

also, at my indoor range, I can only use bullets that are soft point.

are there HMR and Hornet rounds that are soft point or hollow point?

Re: Ruger American bolt-action .243 rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Pythius View Post
    also, at my indoor range, I can only use bullets that are soft point.

are there HMR and Hornet rounds that are soft point or hollow point?
    The Hornet has soft points available.

The HMR comes in a polymer tip, but is very frangible. Your range may have different rules for rimfires.

Maybe you could contact your range to see what their specifics are. That may help you make your final decision.

Do you have to go to the indoor range, or is that just your preference?

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    I have yet to see a stationary rabbit anywhere but my yard lol. The always seem to be on the move when hunting.

The op might be best served with a good old Remington 870 Express, especially if he is just getting into hunting. It is one gun that can fill several roles and is a great starter for hunting. Remington also offers a combo deal most every fall that includes a screw choke barrel and a rifled slug barrel. There is usually a rebate too. This is the way I started hunting years ago and it allowed me to try different game without having to buy many guns.
    I haven't either, but I knew someone with much more patience than me, who used a 22 for rabbit hunting.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

hmm, im seeing some .22 Mag and .17 HMR bolt-actions that aren't too expensive.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    The game you want to hunt you need to buy a shotgun.When I use to hunt birds I always used 12 gauge shotgun using number 6,op to number 8 shot.I bought a 243 for my sons first hunting rifle.I have a ruger in 270 in my collection and
    it's an accurate shooter.It was a bicentenial model made in 1976.I put a wide angle scope on it and it's one of the easiest rifles
    I ever owned to site in.It's never taken more than 3 rounds to hit black ! I purchased it from a co-worker for $400.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links