Ruger American bolt-action .243 rifle

This is a discussion on Ruger American bolt-action .243 rifle within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; do you have one? what do you think? I see that it has a lot more kick than a .22..but will it take me long ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Ruger American bolt-action .243 rifle

Ruger American bolt-action .243 rifle

do you have one?

what do you think?

I see that it has a lot more kick than a .22..but will it take me long to adjust to it?

is it MUCH louder than a .22?

2. Remove Ads

Sponsor
    A .243 is louder than a .22lr by an order of magnitude. It's also much more fun and expensive to shoot.

I would not consider it a hard kicking round but I have never shot Ruger's bolt gun. Mine is a Mauser action.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

as to purpose, it would be for target practise and maybe hunting rabbit or birds.

i just wish Ruger made a cheaper bolt-action that uses smaller ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Pythius View Post
    as to purpose, it would be for target practise and maybe hunting rabbit or birds.

i just wish Ruger made a cheaper bolt-action that uses smaller ammo.
    Ruger makes a few smaller bolt-action rifles - choose from .44 magnum, .357 magnum, .22 magnum, .22 Hornet, .22 LR or .17 HMR. All built on the 77/ frame, all using rotary magazines. You might not like the fact that they're priced hundreds of bucks more than the American, though.

I do love my Ruger 77 and 77/22 rifles, but for small game like rabbits, you can get the superb CZ455 for a substantially a smaller investment.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    You don't want a .243 for rabbit or birds. It's WAY too much gun for them. The .243 is actually a very effective deer round in areas where your not hunting in heavy brush. Look at Savage, Marlin and Winchester. They all have .22 bolt action rifles in the $200.- 300. price range.
    HotGuns and zacii like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    You don't want a .243 for rabbit or birds. It's WAY too much gun for them. The .243 is actually a very effective deer round in areas where your not hunting in heavy brush. Look at Savage, Marlin and Winchester. They all have .22 bolt action rifles in the $200.- 300. price range.
    i want something with more power than a .22 LR...but I dont want something that will kill my ears or blow apart a bunny.

plus, I have to deal with NYC's silly 5-round magazine limit for rifles. (not handguns, of course).

ugg.

The only bird that you aren't going to vaporize with a .243 is an ostrich. I'm thinking that especially for birds as you've stated, you're probably better suited with a shotgun for those game choices.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by Pythius View Post
    i want something with more power than a .22 LR...but I dont want something that will kill my ears or blow apart a bunny.

plus, I have to deal with NYC's silly 5-round magazine limit for rifles. (not handguns, of course).

ugg.
    Try something in 22 magnum for bunny slaying. Some guns arent that expensive and the ammo isnt to bad either. Im considering a ruger american but mine will be 308. Not for bunny slaying tho
    zacii likes this.

Woodhaven Rifle & Pistol Range Inc. | Marlin 70950 XS7 Short Action Bolt 223 Rem 22" 4+1 Black Syn Stk Black

how about this puppy?

its a .223 which I know is less power than a .243.

its black. it holds 5 rounds. its cheap.

Lead Moderator
    Small game can and usually are taken with .22 LR, .17HMR or a shotgun with pellets. A .223 is way too much and may also be illegal to use on small game(check your states game laws). Also it sounds as if you have little knowledge in hunting . Take a class or find someone to teach you the basics, it will be much more enjoyable and safer this way.
    archer51 and zacii like this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

For rabbits that are static, a .22 would work. Why are you looking for centerfire for rabbit? For rabbits on the move, shotguns are best.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Small game can and usually are taken with .22 LR, .17HMR or a shotgun with pellets. A .223 is way too much and may also be illegal to use on small game(check your states game laws). Also it sounds as if you have little knowledge in hunting . Take a class or find someone to teach you the basics, it will be much more enjoyable and safer this way.
    yes, i think we can only hunt deer with a shotgun around here.

Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    For rabbits that are static, a .22 would work. Why are you looking for centerfire for rabbit? For rabbits on the move, shotguns are best.
    cause I have no idea what I'm talking about. :(

Either a .22 LR or .22 mag, or a shotgun would be best for rabbits and squirrels. Now, if you just want a center fire rifle for range fun and possible hunting applications, then your possibilities are almost limitless. A center fire .22 such as a .223 or .22-250 would be good for larger varmints and even some smaller medium sized game using heavier bullets if your state allows it, though higher calibers would be better suited to that purpose. I would consider the .243 the minimum for such game, and this is the minimum allowed in many states.

The bottom line is that the rifle calibers you want to look at will be dictated by what you want to accomplish with it.

Sponsor
    OP,
    I didn't realize that you wanted this for small game. I'd second rocky's mention of the .17HMR if you really want center fire for small game, though there may be a .22 caliber limitation.

You really should take a good hunters course in you area. At the vary least, the NRA Hunter's safety class.

Definitely look into your local DNR rules and regs. for caliber and types of guns allowable for each game animal. I can't imagine not being allowed to use a shotgun for rabbit or birds.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links