Giving persuasive speech for concealed carry on campus. Help?

This is a discussion on Giving persuasive speech for concealed carry on campus. Help? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey guys- I'm a college student and I'm currently taking a speech class. Our next assignment is a persuasive speech, and I've chosen the hot-button ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Giving persuasive speech for concealed carry on campus. Help?

Hey guys-
    I'm a college student and I'm currently taking a speech class. Our next assignment is a persuasive speech, and I've chosen the hot-button topic of concealed carry on college campuses. Obviously I'm arguing in favor of it, as campuses see far too many of what I believe are preventable crimes.

I am hoping to glean additional credible resources from this forum. Articles by experts, news stories, etc. Also hoping to learn more about concerns presented by CC opponents.

Right now, the thrust of my argument is the subject of violent crimes on campus, as well as the issues of being disarmed for the remainder of the day for commuters/ working students, and the fact that students are entrusted with many responsibilities but are considered too much of a risk to be allowed to carry.

One concern my professor voiced when I discussed the matter with him was that students with tempers might react violently to poor grades if not given a chance to cool off (eg a cc'er might draw on him over an F in a fit of passion). Obviously this seems ridiculous to many of us, but I'm planning to address that concern by pointing out that gun free zones only apply to those who follow the law. The validation for his concern is this: when I was in HS, I had a teacher who would not accept food from students, because a colleague of hers had had a disgruntled student attempt to poison her with some tainted cookies.

At any rate, any help you can give is beneficial. I do have one idea for my presentation: somewhere near the middle, I will show two videos. In the first I will dress as a criminal and have a young woman (either my sister or a friend) approach her vehicle in a dark corner of a parking lot. I'll jump her and carry her away. In the second, it will be the same scenario, but she will have an airsoft gun in her purse and shoot me when I attack. I have access to a private lot, so I am not concerned about frightening anyone while filming (I know all too well what I'd do if I witnessed such an attack and I'm not risking a new body piercing courtesy of Smith and Wesson).
    neverenough likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Interesting and hot topic.

First of all, one would have to consider the fact that in most all states, you cannot legally conceal and carry a handgun until you are 21 years old. This excludes most traditional college students with the exception of seniors or grad students. Schools with large numbers of "non-tradtional" students may be different.

Unless prohibited by a school policy or local laws, it's pretty simple. Those legally able to carry a concealed weapon can do just that if they so choose.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

Raging Against Self-Defense, A psychiatrist Examines The Anti-Gun Mentality

I think you might find some interesting ideas from that article. You might get a better response from your audience if you make it more of a broad topic instead of something as specific as CC on campus.

DocT65 I fall into the non-traditional category. I have not examined my schools specific rules yet (need to pick up a student handbook) but my interpretation of FS 790 leads me to believe that I am limited to chemical sprays and stun guns on campus as well as my "common pocket knife" although the latter is not carried for defensive purposes.
    Steffen thank you for the link. I will check it out when I have internet access beyond my phone later. As for the topic, it has to be narrow because the speech can only be 5-8 minutes in length.

Quote Originally Posted by ghillie View Post
    At any rate, any help you can give is beneficial. I do have one idea for my presentation: somewhere near the middle, I will show two videos. In the first I will dress as a criminal and have a young woman (either my sister or a friend) approach her vehicle in a dark corner of a parking lot. I'll jump her and carry her away. In the second, it will be the same scenario, but she will have an airsoft gun in her purse and shoot me when I attack. I have access to a private lot, so I am not concerned about frightening anyone while filming (I know all too well what I'd do if I witnessed such an attack and I'm not risking a new body piercing courtesy of Smith and Wesson).
    How do criminals dress? It would be great to be able to identify them from their clothing.

You're welcome. I guess if I was going to try and make a pursuasive speech on the topic I would structure it like this.

Intro: Emotional story of a woman being raped, someone being murderd, or a mass shooting. There is a story that the NRA uses from the mass murder in Killeen, TX at Luby's Cafeteria, which was a "gun free zone"
    Transition: You could use the argument that many lives could have been saved if someone like Suzanna Hupp was allowed to carry their weapon.

1st Point(this one is pretty short, no sub points): Everybody has an inherent right to self-defense. Establish credibility by citing local statutes, UN human rights articles, etc.

2nd Point(this one would be the largest, should have 3 sub-points on whatever you decide is best): The opposition to firearms is based on irrational fear. Use the ideas from the article, just be careful and make sure you give proper credit.

3rd Point(another short one with no sub points): Firearms are the most effective tool for self-defense. Common sense here, but you can back it up by talking about why police officers and armed security guards almost always have a firearm.

Transition: You decide
    Conclusion: Turn it back on your audience(asking questions directed at them) and re-state your points.

dbglock... I'll admit that was not the appropriate wording. My original language could be construed as discriminatory. What I meant was that I'd do my best to fit the stereotypical "bad guy". Though clothing is no guarantor of intentions, I think many would admit that certain modes of dress and carrying oneself cause us to look with extra scrutiny.

Steffen... thanks again for the suggestions. If I am able I'll post my outline when it is finished. My big thing is not to play on emotions, but to provide the most logical argument I can. Unfortunately several colleges have had students disappear recently, one apparently victim to a stalker if I remember correctly. These situations lend themselves well to the "if only" question. But rather than dwelling there, I hope to address more of the counter arguments.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar

Take it from our collective experience, you are not going to persuade someone who is opposed with rational, logical arguments because it is an emotional issue for them. You can also expect to face questions like your teacher's objection. Please read the article linked to above as it will help you respond to these questions. Clearly your teacher does not understand the mentality required for concealed carry. A gun is not to be used in a fit of passion. It is a tool that is meant to be used in the gravest of extremes (research Massad Ayoob and the AOJ concept for information here). To carry requires a certain mind set: you must be willing to use the tool and you must have the tool ready. In order to do this, you must be aware of your surroundings before the SHTF. I am thinking of your video here. Your victim can't be oblivious like most college students are. Lastly, you could look into why criminals pick the targets they do: disarmament zones make for easier targets and the criminal still has a gun (sorry, no magic barriers). Having even some students, faculty, and staff carry makes the risk of crime business MUCH higher.
    357and40 likes this.

Hi ghillie. I feel your video presentation idea would go a long way toward opening some closed eyes.

Many of those who choose to take the anti-gun stance may drop their blinders a bit when a visual "real world" video is presented.

You can lecture all day and the mindset of these people will likely remain locked.

neverenough

It's a very simple issue, and in particular with colleges, even the "think of the children" thing doesn't fly.

Here are the facts;

-Lawful carriers do not become stupider and less responsible due to entering a place of learning

-Getting drunk and high is not a common past time of gun carriers, quite the opposite in fact, and if someone wants to egregiously break the law and do both at the same time, that's already illegal, and no one is asking to stop that. Wanna get hammered at your dormitory, but have a handgun to worry about? I would guess that if you can manage to go to college you can manage to get a 300 dollar safe, and should have one anyway if you're living amongst a bunch of college students.

-If someone wants to murder a teacher for bad grades, that too is already illegal, and if they do so, laws on carry will not be their problem, rather a murder charge and life in prison or the death penalty are what will matter.

In essence, it is moronic to think that law abiding adults should be required to be disarmed anywhere, unless they are intoxicated or otherwise incapable of being trusted with firearms, such as someone with a violent felony on their record, or someone who is mentally deranged. To argue that a school should be a criminal empowerment zone, one really needs to argue that carrying should generally be illegal, because a school is a place where people are expected to be on top of things, perhaps more so than while doing other daily tasks. And with that in mind, the argument for it becomes the same as the general argument about why carrying firearms should be legal.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    There was a similar thread a few weeks ago. Doing presentation on Students carrying on Campus. Looking for valid citations please

I think some people gave great ideas and places to look for more info. My suggestion was to look into Studends for Concealed Carry: Students for Concealed Carry
    Look into if there is a local chapter, and if there isn't, start one up. They are a great resource, and movements like that can effect change if they catch on in enough places and build momentum.
    Walk softly ...

Do you want to give a persuasive speech on concealed carry on campus or do you want a good grade on your assignment?

If you want a good grade on you assignment, you might want to consider changing your topic since your professor has already indicated that his position most likely can't be persuaded to be on your side of the discussion.

Perhaps you could make a persuasive speech about something else like, "everyone has an inherent right to protect themselves no mater where they are located when the need to protect themselves arises". You could include in your speech that one's means to protect their right to life should not be infringed upon based on their current location.

Good luck.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

PM me your email and I'll forward you a PowerPoint that I have.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Read all the resources available here: Students for Concealed Carry

You're not working in a vacuum.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Hey everyone, thanks so much for all the thoughts and suggestions. I'll try to respond more thoroughly when I have full internet access again, but I really appreciate the help! As for the grade issue, the fact that my professor doesn't agree with my stance should have minimal effect. He likes the topic, and based on past presentation told me he expected I wouldn't have a problem addressing it in a thoughtful manner. If anything I think the that he does not agree may help me. I sent out a questionnaire to my classmates with 5 yes/no statements to gauge my audience. Included "I have felt threatened at some point on campus" "I would be more comfortable knowing some students/ faculty were armed" and even "I believe guns are inherently dangerous and have no place outside of war". I guess the approach is more one of apologetics as to why it's not a bad idea than truly saying we absolutely must do this. I know there are diehards on both sides... hardcore gun control folks and hardcore gun lovers against any laws. Going to try and navigate the middle ground. I am not trying to change the law, but just influence those who have open minds. One solution I thought of was to add endorsements such as on driver's licenses. Instead of a motorcycle endorsement, one could get a campus endorsement with special training, etc. Obviously not the solution that necessarily favors carriers, but maybe a good starting point. Just putting it all out there. Ultimately this is an issue that most non-carriers don't even consider until it's brought up, so if my speech accomplishes nothing more than bringing about thoughtful discussion, I'll consider it a personal victory.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links