need help on a decision

need help on a decision

This is a discussion on need help on a decision within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey, I am thinking of buying some sort of rifle, im not experienced with anything except handguns and shotguns. I was wondering if an AR ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By jryan630
  • 1 Post By BigJon10125
  • 2 Post By NCSoxFan
  • 1 Post By mulle46
  • 1 Post By archer51
  • 1 Post By dangerranger

Thread: need help on a decision

need help on a decision

Hey, I am thinking of buying some sort of rifle, im not experienced with anything except handguns and shotguns. I was wondering if an AR type of rifle in 22 is a waste of money for a defensive weapon?

I'd like to save up for a .223/556 or I really like the M4 carbine 6920 by the looks but its out of the budget, My question is is it even worth it to buy a 22LR for self defense or jsut save that and put it towards a real AR or AK

Thanks

Anything is better than nothing when it comes to self defense. I would probably wait and buy a 223 later if it's not to long of a wait.
    mg27 likes this.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. ~Burke, Edmund

Proud owner of a G35. And yes I carry it concealed.

A .22 is better than nothing but according to posts I've read here there are 5.56 ARs that are good and half the price of the Colt.
    mg27 likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

What is your budget for an Ar? Do you have a shotgun now?
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

IMO everyone should own a Ruger 10/22. It's hard to beat its reliability, versatility, and fun factor for the price to purchase and shoot.
    mg27 and BigJon10125 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    What is your budget for an Ar? Do you have a shotgun now?
    No I dont have a shotgun, I had one for a while and sold it back to the store after a few years for pennies because my work slowed down so much, (never again would I sell a firearm) As far as budget, Im hoping to get more work and be able to get a good quality AR , right now I can only spend about 400 or 500.. Man I miss the days when business was good, I wasnt into guns back when money wasn't an issue, I just carried a handgun for self defense but thats about it. These days, I really enjoy learning about all kinds of firarms, range practice and looking to train someday.

At that budget, maybe used would be possible. Or save a bit more. I've seen new S&W Mp-15 for ~700-750, the base model. Windham weapon about 800-850, for Ar. But 400-500, you could get a pretty decent shotgun with no problem
    mg27 likes this.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mg27 View Post
    No I dont have a shotgun, I had one for a while and sold it back to the store after a few years for pennies because my work slowed down so much, (never again would I sell a firearm) As far as budget, Im hoping to get more work and be able to get a good quality AR , right now I can only spend about 400 or 500.. Man I miss the days when business was good, I wasnt into guns back when money wasn't an issue, I just carried a handgun for self defense but thats about it. These days, I really enjoy learning about all kinds of firarms, range practice and looking to train someday.
    With that as your current budget, you should be able to find a Saiga 5.56 or 7.62X39. I'd lean towards the 7.62X39, since the AK action was designed for that round.
    mg27 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Second for the Ruger 10/22
    1). reasonable priced
    2). fun to shoot
    3). ammo is cheap
    4). detachable magazines

of course now is the time to purchase the ar.

I see a german wood AK22LR GSG Kalashnikov for 299.99 but Im guessing thats a cheap peice of crap?

Also see a Ruger mini-14 .223 for $599

also a czech 32ACP lol Im spinning, thanks for the opinions, well see what happens..

Quote Originally Posted by NCSoxFan View Post
    IMO everyone should own a Ruger 10/22. It's hard to beat its reliability, versatility, and fun factor for the price to purchase and shoot.
    my next purchase will probably be the breakdown 10-22

Quote Originally Posted by mg27 View Post
    I see a german wood AK22LR GSG Kalashnikov for 299.99 but Im guessing thats a cheap peice of crap?

Also see a Ruger mini-14 .223 for $599

also a czech 32ACP lol Im spinning, thanks for the opinions, well see what happens..
    at 300 for a 22lr, I would get a10-22. The mini-14 is a great gun, but it lacks the modular nature of the Ar.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Have you thought of a KelTec SU16? they are a 223 rifle , and go for $460.

Kel-Tec SU-16-A Sport Utility Rifle 223 19" - Impact Guns

A couple of friends have them. They use AR mags, and have been trouble free for the last two years. The other side of the coin is everyone needs at least one 22 rifle. it will easily pay for itself in ammo cost savings. And you will learn the rifle basics with it. DR
    mg27 likes this.

With that budget you can likely find and get BOTH the shotgun and a .22 rifle if you shop around and/or look at used firearms. Or you can get a 12ga to .22 LR adapter (yes it's possible, but I'm really just kidding)

Sponsored Links