Best Survival Guns: Handguns, Shotguns and Rifles for the Survivalist

This is a discussion on Best Survival Guns: Handguns, Shotguns and Rifles for the Survivalist within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What about using an AR15 with a .22 conversion kit instead of the Ruger 10/22?...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Best Survival Guns: Handguns, Shotguns and Rifles for the Survivalist

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    What about using an AR15 with a .22 conversion kit instead of the Ruger 10/22?
    ANGLICO likes this.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    I've never used an AR conversion, but I know my 10/22 is as reliable a gun you're going to find in .22. The only downside I see is that the conversions are more money than what a basic 10/22 will run ya and then you still don't have the upside of having two guns. There's nothing wrong with buying a conversion. Easy way to practice for dirt cheap.

VIP Member
    For me it would be a total of 4 guns. CZ75 P-01, 12 ga. pump shotgun, Saiga 7.62X39 and Ruger Mark II. With those, you can handle most any situation that comes up.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I am a simple man. The MOST my wife, son and I would take for a survival/SHTF situation is 3 P228's, 1 10/22, 1 shotgun and AR chambered for .308. That is for three people.

And the Judge and already been judged so I will leave that alone

After thought: Might toss in my .44 Mag for 4 legged predators (bears)
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    If I had to pick 3 survival guns, they would be: any 9mm Glock-because of its extreme reliability, plentiful and available ammo and ease of repair. A Kel-Tec PLR-16- .223 ammo, uses any AR mag., as good as any assault rifle w/ accessories. And I would add i revolver, caliber depending on what I would use it for ie: .44 mag. for ultimate protection, .357/.38 for concealment. Upon further consideration I might have the PLR-16 and the FNH 5.7 because they both shoot the same ammo.

Administrator
    Well, ya get to pick 20+ firearms that you believe would be suitable for various survival scenarios.
    But, the best very choices will always be somewhat of a variable depending on what exact type of survival situation you find yourself in.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I agree with QK. Too many dynamics to deal with. I would prefer to stay in one place but if I have to bug out, where am I going? Who am I with? What is the season? How far am I traveling? This could go on and on.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

Glock 19, Nylon 66 .22lr rifle, Ruger LCR.22lr revolver...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Glock 19, Mossberg 5500 MK II,(6 round semi auto 12 gauge) my 30-30 lever action rifle and whatever .22lr I could grab. That is of course if I had some sort of transportation, I can't imagine carrying 4 guns and supplies between a few people.

My Saiga 7.62, shotgun, 9mm and a fishing pole. Have to eat ;)

Glock 19 for the 9mm ammo pick ups, Ruger BH Convertable for the 38/357 and 9mm cylinders, and my Nylon 66 rimfire.
    I can reload the revolver brass over and over again, and don't have to scrounge for it after shooting. The 357 mag will do for anything on 4 legs, food or threat. The 22 rimfire can be the most versatile and have plenty of cheap ammo for it. The G19 is virtually impervious to elements and abuse. And the Blackhawk gives me 3 caliber in one gun.
    QKShooter likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Re: Best Survival Guns: Handguns, Shotguns and Rifles for the Survivalist

Remington speedmaster 22 as it will shoot any 22 ammo made, vanguard. 308 carbine, remington 870 12 gauge, and glock 9mm of some variety.

sent via iCarry

I'm with Qk on this, it would depend on the situation, how my family is bugging out, in vehicle or on foot. On foot, prolly an Ar, .22 rifle, one or two .45 semi-auto, and a 357 revolver. In a vehicle, everything coming. :)
    QKShooter likes this.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    Wrong rate of twist in the AR's barrel.

My bugout bag includes the xd 9mm, and ruger 10/22 takedown. Still needs shotgun added, maybe, and probably (still thinking about it) a quality air rifle with a big tub of pellets.
    "Freedom and discipline have come to be regarded as mutually exclusive, when in fact freedom is not at all the opposite, but the final reward of discipline" - Elisabeth Elliot

"While they are saying, “Peace and safety!” then destruction will come upon them suddenly" 1Thess 5:3

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links