Family Range Fun

This is a discussion on Family Range Fun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I brought an array of pistols and took my brother-in-law and nephew (20 y/o) to a range in their area and we had a blast. ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By BugDude
  • 1 Post By lchamp

Thread: Family Range Fun

Family Range Fun

I brought an array of pistols and took my brother-in-law and nephew (20 y/o) to a range in their area and we had a blast. I took a large frame 9mm, mid-size 9, and single stack 9, as well as my XD40sc, and a Glock 36. I set up 3 lanes and we moved between lanes and left the guns where they were stationed. My BIL is in the process of trying to decide what gun to buy so I thought this would give him a large range of types, styles, sizes, and calibers to check out. He decided real quick the small thin light 9mm wasn't for him. He likes the P95 large 9mm, but decided he didn't like a hammered semi-auto. The Glock he didn't like at all. The Springfield XD40sc he absolutely loved, and he shot it better than any of the others also. For his hand size and preferences, he is leaning towards a XD40 but a compact rather than subcompact. He mentioned that he had gone on a hunting trip last week and shot some handguns there too, so he had already shot a G19. Whatever he ends up getting, I'm glad I've been able to influence him to get something and to really figure out what meets his needs. He joined the range while we were there and got a family membership for him, my sister, and my nephews. Next he is going to take the CC class there and get his permit. I've also encouraged him to come to this site. Seems like we have another one in the ranks!!!
    darbo, jryan630, Lish and 2 others like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

Awesome.

Way to go. Always nice to have fun and let someone shoot something they have never shot. Seems to always be more fun when you have someone else to shoot with that loves the hobby as much as you do.

I go every couple of weeks with friends. We have such a great time. I find it such a trip when asked what they are doing wrong. Heck, less than 2 years ago I had never shot a gun lol. When I hit them all on a 7x7 card they think I am wonder woman lol. They don't understand I am only shooting 30 to 45 feet out most of the time and sometimes shorter than that. Someday I will be able to shoot. Right now it is all practice but I have fun doing it.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    When I go to the range with friends, we all swap guns...seems like the normal thing to do.
    minimalbrat likes this.

Good that he has you around to offer guidance and experience.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Sounds like a good time was had by all, and it helped him solidify his opinion of what pistol he may want to get. So it was both fun and educational, the best combination of results from a trip to the range, as all range trips should be. Good job!

VIP Member
    Sounds like a good time.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I went to a pawn shop in his town today window shopping and gave him a call. I found a shop with 2 XD40 compacts. A NIB for $457 out the door and a used one with 2 mags for $375 out the door. It showed a little wear, but not bad. Didn't have the box or XD gear, but that stuff is useless anyway. I called him and told him...hopefully he will go check them out. If it were not for the fact that no longer being a resident of NC I can't purchase a gun here I'd have jumped on the used one for that price...just for the heck of it.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I went to a pawn shop in his town today window shopping and gave him a call. I found a shop with 2 XD40 compacts. A NIB for $457 out the door and a used one with 2 mags for $375 out the door. It showed a little wear, but not bad. Didn't have the box or XD gear, but that stuff is useless anyway. I called him and told him...hopefully he will go check them out. If it were not for the fact that no longer being a resident of NC I can't purchase a gun here I'd have jumped on the used one for that price...just for the heck of it.
    Couldn't you have it sent to your favorite LGS? What would it be price wise with shipping and xfer fees?
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Introducing open-minded newbies to the joys of firearms can be a wonderfully good time.

Have done that a few times, myself. Introduced a friend who hailed from another country. He hadn't fired guns more than a few times. Brought a whole stash of different ones, from lever-action and M1 carbine to pistols and shotguns. Stripped them all down, went through their functions and operation, stressed the gun safety/handling guidelines throughout, and had a blast. He practically out-shot me on the M1 carbine, and did really well on many of the others. Now, if he can only get his country to allow firearms ...
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    Couldn't you have it sent to your favorite LGS? What would it be price wise with shipping and xfer fees?
    Shipping to FL would be another $25 at least and then another $25 for xfer fees at my LGS in FL. $375 cash out the door was enticing. Hopefully my BIL will jump on it. I've got a like new G36 I'd like to trade in towards a 1911 or Springfield hi cap 45 anyway.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Good that he has you around to offer guidance and experience.

^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is how it should be.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Always fun to meet up with fellow DC members here. Done it twice and both times we traded guns and stories... Good group of shooters here.

Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving... In process of smoking a bird for us today since we ate at a friends home and we have no leftovers... gotta have my turkey sandwich...
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Links