FAA Firearm Requirements

This is a discussion on FAA Firearm Requirements within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; We will be flying to visit relatives for Thanksgiving and I'm planning on taking my pistol with me. It's a short flight in-state (less than ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kapnketel

Thread: FAA Firearm Requirements

FAA Firearm Requirements

We will be flying to visit relatives for Thanksgiving and I'm planning on taking my pistol with me. It's a short flight in-state (less than an hour) so I feel pretty confident that my luggage will make it there in one piece. I've read the requirements for travelling with firearms and my only question is should I actually go buy another hard sided case or is the factory case my Walther PPS came in sufficient for meeting their requirements?

2. Remove Ads

"One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

I've read the requirements. It is this excerpt that I'm worried about (taken from Alaska Airlines).

"The hard-sided case must be secured in such a way that it does not allow for accidental or unauthorized opening. Multiple locks may be required on some cases to ensure the case cannot be opened. Customers are not required to place locks in every available area on the case, as long as the case is secure."

VIP Member
    If your Walther case can be locked and not opened without damaging the case you should be good to go.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    The factory cases for both of my firearms only have one lock hole, they can be pried open from the other side. I just use my nano vault with the combination lock. Doubles as a travel safe on the road.
    bigmacque likes this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Nano vault is a great choice, especially if there's a way to chain it inside your luggage with the cable.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Do not put a TSA lock on the case.

Wait, are you flying commercial or using a bush pilot? AFAIk TSA regs generally do not apply to them.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by jrjensen View Post
    I've read the requirements. It is this excerpt that I'm worried about (taken from Alaska Airlines).

"The hard-sided case must be secured in such a way that it does not allow for accidental or unauthorized opening. Multiple locks may be required on some cases to ensure the case cannot be opened. Customers are not required to place locks in every available area on the case, as long as the case is secure."
    I fly for business every other week. You everyday plastic case with a lock is all you need. People make more of it than it is. I would be very surprised if you encounter any one at the check in or elsewhere that is not familiar with the regs. Many, many people take their guns with them everyday. I am sure any airline flying in Alaska well know the regulations and will not be a problem.
    Note, check with the airline you are flying regarding where to carry your ammo including your magazines. None allow you to transport a loaded gun and they all have their own regulations about how and were to carry ammo. Some want it in a separate box and others allow it I the gun case as long as the ammo is it its own box (factory box or other).
    A word to the wise isn't necessary, save it for the stupid

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Do not put a TSA lock on the case.

Wait, are you flying commercial or using a bush pilot? AFAIk TSA regs generally do not apply to them.
    Agree. I use a regular small master lock. I am sure you could still pry the case I use open, but it has never been a problem. I have had to move ammo around though
    A word to the wise isn't necessary, save it for the stupid

Thanks for the replies. Alaska airlines allows you to put ammo in the same case as the gun, but require it be in a box that allows the rounds to be separated from each other individually. No loose ammo and no loaded mags. I guess fitting ammo in my case will be the biggest problem.

Links