Build a Gong Target?

This is a discussion on Build a Gong Target? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am looking to set up a target that holds a gong. I dont have much money to work with... im talking under $100. I ...

Thread: Build a Gong Target?

Build a Gong Target?

I am looking to set up a target that holds a gong. I dont have much money to work with... im talking under $100. I will be shooting .22 at the gong and maybe a .38. would this gong be a good one for both of those calibers?
    6" Gong Shooting Target 1 2" AR500 Best Deal on eBay Thick Heavy Duty | eBay
    Also, how would i build a frame to hold the Gong... Would PVC work?
    Thanks
    Jabraun98

2. Remove Ads

I don't know anything about it except by watching You Tube vid's that hickoh45 puts out. Looks like the frames for his gongs are metal. IMHO.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

Yep, that's a decent one, and 1/2 inch thick will be fine for pistol calibers.

For a support, PVC will be OK, but before long your supports will take some hits - that's probably inevitable. I'd suggest some pressure-treated 2x4s or 4x4s, unless you need portability.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Whoa...just one second.

Depending upon how you hang a gong from the PVC, you might consider hanging it on a chain connected to a ring that rides on the PVC. Grease that ring with white lithium grease. If the actual gong is down 8-10 inches below the support pipe, you should have something that lasts a long time. One other thing: Consider filling the PVC with one of those magic foams or some other kind of material that gives the PVC some added strength and rigidity.

What about bases? What were you planning there?

If you live in rural Arkansas, go find a farmer's old, retired disk plow & buy a blade or two. Rimfire & light .38s shouldn't overpower it. I like 'em 'cause the slightly domed shape lessens the chance of a 180 degree ricochet back at my favorite shooter...me!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Easy...................Steel plate welded to steel chain and hung from a "U" shaped steel pipe or solid round bar to hammer into the ground....

VIP Member
    Our range requires "steel" to be angled down and do not allow chains or the target to swing. So the hanging system my cost more than the steel target.

We love to shoot the steel in the winter. Most of the time we use on the 600 yard range on cold rainy days when the range is "ours"

Ok............eliminat the chain.....weld the plate to a PIECE OF 1" STEEL PIPE make a "T" shape and run the round bar frame through the top of the "T".....weld on a stop to position the plate on the frame and also it won't swing.

Paper is fun, but STEEL is REAL. Nothin' beats a high-speed ping!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Sponsor
    I made several "economy" steels with with stuff bought at a local surplus store. The store is called "Star Supply" I don't know if they are a chain or only local but I'm sure there others like it elsewhere.

They have 1/4" steel plates in various sizes and shapes. I used a couple 10" squares and a couple 12"circles, each were about $12.00. The stands are garden hooks for $4.00 ea. You, know, the wrought iron shepard's hooks that you hang look pretties from. I drilled a 5/8" hole at the top and a 1/4" hole at the bottom each plate, hang the plate from the hook and use a small chain or some wire to pull the bottom back and tie it off to the leg of the hook. This makes for a good angle to the target.

I did find that a .308 will sever the wrought iron hook cleanly at 300yds. but pistol calibers don't do any serious damage if they hit the stand.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Distinguished Member
    AR500 is very hard steel and will hold up to well to pistol and rifle calibers, especially at 1/2" thick.

I might have to get a couple of these... the mild steel plates I have don't up to M855 ammo.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

If you want to know about steel targets got to Snipers Hide for this:

Steel Targets 101 | Sniper's Hide .

The article has links i the article to good steel target manufacturers. I got mine from LVSteel. I do LD shooting and use steel targets frequently.
    Sarg80
    Sig P-220 Primary Carry and CZ-75 Primary Carry
    Mauser HSc BUG
    Walther P-1 tertiary carry or when i want a break from the others
    S&W Model 66 (No Dash) for the woods

A mild steel will work for a smaller pistol or .22 shots. don't expect it to hold up to anything else because rifles will go through mild steel like butter. if you feet armor plating as mentioned before then it would be fine for practically whatever you want to shoot at it. as far as angling the target, you do a combination of things there. You reduce the chance of ricochet, you increase the thickness that the bullet hits by the angle being more than just straight across, and you deflect some force by angling the blow.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Links