Defensive Carry banner

Holster Fitting

800 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  BugDude 
#1 ·
I went back to my old stomping grounds yesterday and to my favorite gun shop there. They have some inexpensive IWB holsters that work best for me and I haven't found anything close anywhere else that works nearly as good. So, I decided to go pick up several more. While I was there, I took several of them to the counter and asked the guy, "Do you have a XD40sc and a Bersa Thunder CC that I can try in these holsters to make sure I get the right ones?" He said, "I'm sure I do, just give me a sec to find them...can I sell the guns to you too while we're at it?" I replied, "No, I'm carrying both said weapons concealed as we speak but just didn't want to whip out my loaded guns to fit holsters." He stopped, shook my hand and said, "Thank you so much. I appreciate your concern for safety." I replied, "I've seen too many goobs whip out loaded guns fitting holsters in stores over the years sweeping the place and it just makes my heart skip a beat. No sense pulling out a loaded gun when I'm sure you have the same ones in here empty." He pulled them out of the case, removed the chamber flag, cleared them, then I cleared them, checked the fit, and I made my purchase and was on my way."

This is the same store that a couple years ago I saw them ask a man to leave after he exhibited poor muzzle control and asked him not to return until he learned safe gun handling practices. I always loved going to this shop because of their vigilance to safety. Unfortunately, where I live now, I can't say the same for the places I've been there. The range/shop in FL I frequent I noticed one of their rental guns in the case, a 1911, that was cocked in the case with the muzzle pointing out towards the public. I pointed it out to the guy working in there and he reached in and pulled the trigger to drop the hammer....I almost fainted.

See less See more
#3 ·
I was in a gun store on Monday of this week. A guy was helping his mother (70-ish) to buy a gun. She held one very daintily and was pointing it at several people...I left. Yeah, the clerk had cleared the gun, but I just cringed and left when she was pointing it around. It looked like this was the first time she had even held a gun. I just hope she didn't buy it...scary.

#4 ·
... Unfortunately, where I live now, I can't say the same for the places I've been there. The range/shop in FL I frequent I noticed one of their rental guns in the case, a 1911, that was cocked in the case with the muzzle pointing out towards the public. I pointed it out to the guy working in there and he reached in and pulled the trigger to drop the hammer....I almost fainted.
Are you sure you weren't in Georgia? I was in a shop yesterday, and the clerk who waited on me was quite conscientious about clearing a P30S for me to drool over, while another clerk just reached into the case, pulled out a pistol and handed it to a customer next to me.

Needless to say, I immediately locked the slide back on the P30S I was examining, handed it back to my clerk, and left the store.

#5 ·
That sounds like a fantastic shop. Attention to safety and detail, well-stocked, personable. I'd travel quite a way to deal with them, as opposed to the whatever-on-the-corner.

#6 ·
There is nothing more important than safety.

We learned to not point a gun at anyone when we were kids. It was tough when playing cops and robbers at the campground and having your Grandpap yell at you for pointing your cap gun at your cousin! Maybe a little overkill on his part, but we learned safe handling and that's what was MOST important!

#8 ·
For those in the Southwest Virginia area, Whitetail Outfitters in Riner, VA is THE BEST gun shop in the area. They take care of their customers with no hassles, safe, friendly, and the selection is GREAT!!! They will also work with you on the prices. One of the things I miss most in the New River Valley area. Pulaski Pawn on Main Street in Pulaski is also a great place to deal with. I've bought a lot of guns and accessories from both!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.