A day at the range

This is a discussion on A day at the range within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am off of work this week and decided to finally take my new Marlinn336W to the range. Also fitted my sks with a new ...

Thread: A day at the range

Thumbs up A day at the range

I am off of work this week and decided to finally take my new Marlinn336W to the range. Also fitted my sks with a new stock and wanted to run some defensive loads through my Colt Commander to see which we preferred. The Colt functioned flawlessly. Fed it Federal HSTs, Winchester Ranger Ts, and Gold Dots, all 230 gr. No issues what so ever so now I just have to pick one to stick with. I also shot some 185 gr Gold Sabers and was amazed at how much "softer" they seemed to shoot than the 230 gr. I will be sticking with 230 gr, but was just a bit surprised that they were easier on the hand. Having been unable to notice a difference in 165-180 .40 this was a bit new to me. So the Colt is continuing to go strong after the initial hickup in the beginning with 400 flawless rounds through it. One issue, if it could be called that, was that the grips began to loosen up and slide around a bit after 100 rounds. I do not want to secure them permanently, so any suggestions to correct that would be appreciated.

SKS shot great as usual but have found an ammo it has issues with. Tula steel cased ammo would not fire every 7th round or so. Looked to be a light strike, but the primer was dented as much as any other and yet almost 1 in 7 did not fire. Weird, especially as it was consistent with about 50 rounds.

Marlin 336W burned my hand! You all didn't tell me how hot that barrel would get after just 6 rounds! Accidentally touched the barrel and wow that bad boy was HOT! Had a lot of fun with that gun other than pinching my thumb while loading it. Please tell me that gate loosens up over time.

There were 4 guys there in the same area with me as well and they were nice enough to let me shoot some of their guns as well. I returned the favor, of course. I shot the Glock 21 just to give it another go. I still do not like the grip but it was fun to shoot and I like the sights. After my 1911 it really felt like the Block people call it! It felt huge.

The real treat for me was getting to shoot 2 Mosin Nagants. How I do not have one yet is beyond me. I will get one, but now have another issue. The 19/???? was so long! It almost felt too long to hold, but I was surprised how light it seemed. The real treat was that the guys had a model 44, the shorter version, with the folding bayonet on it. While it had a bit more kick it was a super fun gun to shoot. I was standing next to one of the guys when they shot it and man, the shockwave from that thing is enough to deter anyone from flanking you! Talk about feeling it! I am not sure if I didn't get any when firing it being directly behind the barrel but anywhere else and it was quite the experience.

As usual a fun day at the range, and got to shoot some guns I am interested in. Also shot an AR with the lame bullet button on it. I may get one someday, but I wasn't enthralled with it.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    SOunds like a great day @ the range.

I have a 336C. What is a 336W? Is it still a 30-30?

I also have an SKS. They both went up to the woods this November and the Marlin took a nice 3 pt. while in the hands of my friend, who had to borrow it, as his brother forgot his rifle at home, so my friend loaned him his.
    My SKS loads and shoots a lot of crap.
    Don't have Tula tho.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Blue Loc Tite will hold your screws in place.
    U.S. Army Veteran

Oneshot, it is still .30-30, I believe it is that it is birch and the others are/may be walnut. I love it, lots of practical applications in the post apocalyptic world without being "evil". As Glockman10mm said "just a little ole cowboy gun"

Pistola, will I be able to unscrew blue locktite if I ever want to change the grips?
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Yes.It is not permanent.And it only takes a tiny drop applied to the threads with a tooth pick.
    U.S. Army Veteran

Links