Black finish for S&W 642

This is a discussion on Black finish for S&W 642 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi all, I recent purchased a s&w 642 for pocket carry and I really like it, but I have noticed that at the right angle, ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By boricua
  • 1 Post By royal barnes
  • 1 Post By BugDude

Thread: Black finish for S&W 642

Black finish for S&W 642

Hi all,

I recent purchased a s&w 642 for pocket carry and I really like it, but I have noticed that at the right angle, someone could see into my pocket and the silver finish on the butt of the gun and trigger guard are pretty distinguishable. I was wondering if anyone has some suggestions for a finish that would remedy this problem. I don't want to mess with a baked on finish and I don't have a lot of experience refinishing things so it'd need to be easy, what I'd like though is A) something that will hold up well and look good OR B) something semi-permanent meaning I can remove with a solvent that won't damage the original finish underneath. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Ace.

2. Remove Ads

why didn't you get the 442 instead?
    JDE101 likes this.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Maybe you are just over thinking being "spotted".....
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

The 442 has a carbon steel barrel and cylinder, the 642 is stainless. I wanted something that I don't have to worry about as much, and although I don't know what conditions the gun was kept in (could have been dunked in salt water for all I know) I have seen pictures of a 442 with some significant rust.

I don't think I'm being paranoid as I looked from different angles in the mirror and had family members look. Of course when I'm looking for it, I'll find it, but I bought this gun specifically to carry at work and I'm in close proximity to the same people day in, and day out. I just want to make it as inconspicuous as possible.

Depending on your job position you might try an ankle holster or inside the waist band holster........

Its possibly your only option might be to purchase another handgun to carry at work.........
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Re: Black finish for S&W 642

Thanks for the reply. I've done a lot of research (and posted here before I bought the gun while i was considering my options) and worn the gun in my uniform out of work, I know i can do it that way and I feel its my best option, so while I appreciate your input, I'd like to address the original question regarding a dark finish on those areas.

I've thought of something as simple at a permanent marker which will look like crap but will be on the bottom of the gun and will come off with alcohol. I've also considered a matte black spray paint (again, only on that small portion and I understand not to paint and moving parts etc) but I'm winding if i did that if I could remove it with say mineral spirits or of that would take the original finish off as well since I've heard its fragile.

Thanks,
    Ace

Another option might be the S&W full size grip for J-Frame.... It covers the exposed back strap and bottom of grip frame.. It is slightly larger(longer) than the stock grip..... This is what I have on my 642.
    Product: J Synthetic Full Size Grip with S&W Logo

Two other things I can think if:

1. Cover the area with black electrical tape

2. Take off grip and use some black material to cover the area and reinstall grip to hold material.

Re: Black finish for S&W 642

That's a good idea, I may try to use a strip of innertube material and form fit it with a heat gun, then tighten the grips over it.

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    If getting new pants with deeper pockets is not an option look into having a local seamstress lengthen your front pockets about two inches.
    BugDude likes this.

I had a pair of pants I really liked but had shallow pockets. I had someone deepend the pocket with a much thicker reinforced material. Problem solved. Cost a couple dollars per pair.
    OldVet likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Links