NICS check - after hours

NICS check - after hours

This is a discussion on NICS check - after hours within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been watching the ads for the local retailers. I've made up my mind on a rifle that Dicks has on sale. They open up ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: NICS check - after hours

NICS check - after hours

I've been watching the ads for the local retailers. I've made up my mind on a rifle that Dicks has on sale. They open up at midnight (in Arizona). Is there specific hour that NICS checks can be completed, or will I be able to go purchase it in the middle of the night and hopefully bypass all the black friday madness
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Let us know!

Not sure how late they go last Night I picked up a weapon at a FFL that was shipped in he ran it a 2000 no problem

I've bought weapons as late as 2100, but here I'm talking specifically about 0000 or 0100
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

The answer is no. It's an online setup now that literally takes longer to enter your information than it does to approve/disapprove the check.

Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    It's an online setup now that literally takes longer to enter your information than it does to approve/disapprove the check.
    Last one I bought was phoned in about 2 months ago

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

Quote Originally Posted by broknindarkagain View Post
    I've bought weapons as late as 2100, but here I'm talking specifically about 0000 or 0100
    I think you'll get delayed, not by the NICS, but by the store itself. If the deal is good enough, then what's the difference? You can come back, when all the madness is over with, and get your gun, along with the deal that was advertized. Good luck, and let us know how you made out.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    I think you'll get delayed, not by the NICS, but by the store itself. If the deal is good enough, then what's the difference? You can come back, when all the madness is over with, and get your gun, along with the deal that was advertized. Good luck, and let us know how you made out.
    Thats what I'm hoping for instead of hearing "I'm sorry but you're going to have to come back at 5am". Its easier to stay up late then to wake up early lol

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

I got my rifle...well, I'll have it after 5am.

I filled out the NICS paperwork and photocopied my ID. They put the gun on hold and will call in the check at 5am, then call me when I can come pick it up.

There were only 3 of them in the store. I was #3 in line, but the two ahead of me bought ARs....so I got the first of 3 700s. The next two people behind me got the other two.

Oh yeah, Dicks has all their ammo at buy one get one half of (limit 6 boxes)

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

Quote Originally Posted by broknindarkagain View Post
    Thats what I'm hoping for instead of hearing "I'm sorry but you're going to have to come back at 5am". Its easier to stay up late then to wake up early lol
    True that! That's what I'm doing.. staying up late. I got about an hour and some change before I can hit the road for Black Friday shopping. If I were to go to sleep now, I damn sure wouldn't wake up in time.. I'd probably sleep until about noon or so.

To those who are crazy enough to head out shopping this morning, God bless and be safe!
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    Having worked retail in the past, I refuse to leave the house before noon today. The only thing good about working retail on black Friday, was our boss let us purchase items before the store opened, so we got the sales, and employee discount.
    mulle46 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Black Friday looks like it set records across the country for gun sales.

I wrote this little treatise...

‘Black Friday’ looked pretty green for gun sales - Seattle gun rights | Examiner.com

I started getting e-mails from colleagues this afternoon that the NICS system was backed up and I checked with some WA gun dealers who confirmed it. What a day!

Like archer, I won't hit Black Friday sales unless wife asks me, after I worked retail.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Here, in South Carolina, if you have your Concealed Weapons permit, the call is not necessary. You just give them your CWP and they make a copy and put it with the 4473 and your out the door.

Every purchase I have made in the last year has been by phone. I ask today and was told 2000 here was as late as it goes.
    It was down again today for a couple hours.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links