Henry Big boy 45 Colt

Henry Big boy 45 Colt

This is a discussion on Henry Big boy 45 Colt within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Im looking for a lever action 45 Colt to go with my Ruger Blackhawk. Will the Henry handle 45C loaded up very hot? Also the ...

Thread: Henry Big boy 45 Colt

Henry Big boy 45 Colt

Im looking for a lever action 45 Colt to go with my Ruger Blackhawk. Will the Henry handle 45C loaded up very hot? Also the Rossi 92? Would like to have a Winchester, but the price is out of range.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Please describe "loaded up very hot." I have a Marlin 1894C in 45LC and I load mine pretty medium.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I am just running factory 200 grn for practice right now, but man are you gonna love the Henry.
    I recently found cowboy action shooting and am getting set up, the Henry, matching Ruger New Vaqueros, making some metal targets out of old water heaters. (They make some nice bells to ring)
    Just need a dbl barrel shottie and I will be all set to go in the spring.
    NRA Life
    SASS 96744

"Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is"

Re: Henry Big boy 45 Colt

This will be my next rifle purchase. There's something about a lever action that makes me feel like a kid again.:p

Sent from phone
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    My future son-in-law used to competitively shoot in cowboy action events, he has a Henry 45 and loves it.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

It looks like it is the same frame as used on the 44 Big Boy, so it should handle hotter 45 loads.
    I love the action, but they are a heavy rifle for the caliber.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I own a Henry Big Boy in .45LC. I see no reason why it wouldn't handle any .45LC load you might feel comfortable shooting.

Al
    "gettin' there is half the fun."

Those are on my ever growing list. Lets see some pics while we are at it!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I worked up a load for bear hunting a few years ago that was pretty "stiff", 300grn Hornady XTP @ 1220fps from a 4 5/8" Blackhawk and 1440fps from my Rossi "Puma" 16" carbine. Both guns handle it well with no visible signs of high pressure.
    As I was working this load up; the first place I noticed signs of pressure were slight bulges of the brass into the extractor groove on the Rossi. That load was chronograph-ed at 1520fps from the Puma and 1280fps from the Blackhawk (with no signs of high pressure). That is why I dropped it back just a tad to be safe in both firearms.

I was surprised when the first signs of high pressure showed up in my Rossi. For whatever reason, I was expecting to see signs of high pressure in the Blackhawk first and almost missed the first signs because of my preconceived ideas. If you are planning on sharing ammo between revolver and rifle, I would be sure to work any load up slowly and to test them in both to be safe.

I don't have any personal experience with the Henry, but as stated before, the 45lc appears to be built on the same frame as their 44mag. I would expect it to be strong enough to handle fairly heavy loads.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

As to hot loads, i have found that pushing the limits of velocity isn't at all necessary with big bore calibers. For an example, I have a rare Marlin 44 with a 16 inch barrel and a 4 inch 629 that I share loads with.

The load is a 240 weight XTP over 21.5 grains of H-110. I get a chrono measurement of 1190 from the 4 inch tube and 1490 from the 16 inch barrel. The 4 inch barrel has accounted itself well for medium game at less than 50 yards. Can't really tell a difference between the two on deer.

I could get good results at even 900-1000 fps using the 240 weight bullets.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Sponsored Links