IDPA questions

This is a discussion on IDPA questions within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Gbboykin So, I've seriously been considering starting some IDPA matches. I've been checking out some youtube videos of matches and with the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: IDPA questions

Quote Originally Posted by Gbboykin View Post
    So, I've seriously been considering starting some IDPA matches. I've been checking out some youtube videos of matches and with the right practice I think I could become pretty good at the sport and make some new like-minded friends in the sport.

I have a couple of questions if any of you guys have any information on the sport.

What's a good equipment belt?
    Do you have to have a holster for a tactical flashlight?
    What's the best holster for a 5" 1911?

Any information you guys can give me or advice is highly appreciated!
    I think any of the gun belt mfg's belts will work. Without double checking in the rule book I'm fairly certain IDPA does not allow for any special "race" belt setups like you might find in USPSA matches. I have also read of people using good heavy leather belts such as Dickie.

From what I have seen night matches are uncommon. Not unheard of but are the exception to the rule. I would not be concerned with finding a holster that wil accomidate a flashlight unless of course you are putting together an EDC rig and want that feature.

Personally I use a inexpensive Fobus kydex paddle holster. I don't use my 1911 as a EDC so this holster doesn't get much use.

There are so many ways to go about shooting IDPA! All of which are fun! My most common setup for IDPA is my fullsize Beretta PX4 9mm in a Fobus OWB paddle holster. This is not my EDC. I enjoy shooting my 1911 just for the fun of it and just generally using the gun in some way other than just at a static range.

My EDC is a Taurus PT709, single stack 9mm in a Cross Breed IWB and I have used it a couple of times in IDPA just for the "real world" practice and the fun of it. In the real world I don't wear a "shoot me first" vest. Normally it's just a t-shirt over my EDC. I use the t-shirt setup when I have used my EDC in a match to practice ripping the shirt up fast to get to my gun and draw it.

I'm getting long winded here so will just add do some reading for specific rules in the link I provided earlier. Don't worry about the latest and greatest whiz bang stuff to get started with. Like you said just getting good practice with your EDC and meeting some like minded people is the plan. I'm looking forward to your first post after a match! One final word of caution....it's addicting!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by darbo View Post
    I think any of the gun belt mfg's belts will work. Without double checking in the rule book I'm fairly certain IDPA does not allow for any special "race" belt setups like you might find in USPSA matches. I have also read of people using good heavy leather belts such as Dickie.

From what I have seen night matches are uncommon. Not unheard of but are the exception to the rule. I would not be concerned with finding a holster that wil accomidate a flashlight unless of course you are putting together an EDC rig and want that feature.

Personally I use a inexpensive Fobus kydex paddle holster. I don't use my 1911 as a EDC so this holster doesn't get much use.

There are so many ways to go about shooting IDPA! All of which are fun! My most common setup for IDPA is my fullsize Beretta PX4 9mm in a Fobus OWB paddle holster. This is not my EDC. I enjoy shooting my 1911 just for the fun of it and just generally using the gun in some way other than just at a static range.

My EDC is a Taurus PT709, single stack 9mm in a Cross Breed IWB and I have used it a couple of times in IDPA just for the "real world" practice and the fun of it. In the real world I don't wear a "shoot me first" vest. Normally it's just a t-shirt over my EDC. I use the t-shirt setup when I have used my EDC in a match to practice ripping the shirt up fast to get to my gun and draw it.

I'm getting long winded here so will just add do some reading for specific rules in the link I provided earlier. Don't worry about the latest and greatest whiz bang stuff to get started with. Like you said just getting good practice with your EDC and meeting some like minded people is the plan. I'm looking forward to your first post after a match! One final word of caution....it's addicting!
    Careful there, think of the kittens.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    Careful there, think of the kittens.
    You lost me with that one.

You're not the only one...

So, I've seriously been considering starting some IDPA matches. I've been checking out some youtube videos of matches and with the right practice I think I could become pretty good at the sport and make some new like-minded friends in the sport.

I have a couple of questions if any of you guys have any information on the sport.

What's a good equipment belt?
    Do you have to have a holster for a tactical flashlight?
    What's the best holster for a 5" 1911?

Any information you guys can give me or advice is highly appreciated!
    I use my EDC belt, which I got at wally world for around $10. It's a Dickies, combo fabric and leather and is very sturdy.Holds up a full size CZ-75B with no problem.
    Check the rule book and chose a holster from the requirements listed. There is a plethora of holsters that meet IDPA requirements.
    Last edited by Bubbiesdad; November 24th, 2012 at 06:14 PM.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

You're not the only one...
    On the IDPA discussion board, it is said that 'Any time somebody mentions "IDPA" and "Real Life" in the same sentence, God Kills A Kitten.'
    Richard M Nixon
    Jeff Cooper

IDPA rule book: "IDPA is a shooting sport that uses practical equipment including full charge service ammunition to solve simulated "real world" (their quotation marks) self-defense scenarios."

I guess my statement was incomplete by not using the word "simulated". I had hoped it would be understood. I'll try harder next time! I wouldn't want to carry any responsiblity on my shoulders for God killing any kittens.

I'll reiterate, I'm more into accurate shots not fast paced, meeting new friends, and if in the process it hones my skills with my EDC, great! (which I have a feeling it will)

Is it more popular to load your own rounds in IDPA?
    At my club, most people reload, although there are some that use bulk ball ammo. Nothing wrong with using something like WWB, but handloading is less expensive, and you have the opportunity to tailor a load to your gun.

Keep in mind that if you shoot sanctioned matches, your ammo has to meet a power threshold. For example, standard service pistol has a floor of 125,000. Power level is bullet weight times velocity. In 9mm, a 125 grain bullet @ 1000 fps meets the floor in SSP division.
    darbo likes this.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by BamaT View Post
    At my club, most people reload, although there are some that use bulk ball ammo. Nothing wrong with using something like WWB, but handloading is less expensive, and you have the opportunity to tailor a load to your gun.

Keep in mind that if you shoot sanctioned matches, your ammo has to meet a power threshold. For example, standard service pistol has a floor of 125,000. Power level is bullet weight times velocity. In 9mm, a 125 grain bullet @ 1000 fps meets the floor in SSP division.
    Our match director has stated that next year, matches will be sanctioned. This is so our club can qualify to bid for State matches. This will require shooters to join IDPA.
    Richard M Nixon
    Jeff Cooper

I have never had a stage using a flashlight.
    My club has a few matches designed for use with lights. I don't have a light, so I haven't shot it. No idea if this is a sanctioned match or club level.
    NRA Life Member

Our match director has stated that next year, matches will be sanctioned. This is so our club can qualify to bid for State matches. This will require shooters to join IDPA.
    Did your MD say if they will start chronographing ammo at your club level? Your reloaders may have to develop some new loads!

So, for a .45 load. What kind of reload equipment is best for beginners and on up? I'm assuming you need a scale, a powder dispenser, press, dies, casing (using spent brass), primers, and bullets? Cleaning solutions for brass and agitator?

Is it better to get the kits or just individual pieces of equipment?

What kind of manual do you guys use for reloading and where do you guys get your equipment? Online or in store?

You also need: powder, general reloading manuals, as well as powder specific manuals, calipers, bullet puller, flip tray for primers, priming tool (unless the press you get inserts primers automatically).

I got a lot of my equipment from Midway USA, but my press came directly from Dillon Precision.

I got my equipment piecemeal, so I cannot recommend anything in a kit form, but I am sure there kits available.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links