IDPA questions

This is a discussion on IDPA questions within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So, I've seriously been considering starting some IDPA matches. I've been checking out some youtube videos of matches and with the right practice I think ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: IDPA questions

IDPA questions

So, I've seriously been considering starting some IDPA matches. I've been checking out some youtube videos of matches and with the right practice I think I could become pretty good at the sport and make some new like-minded friends in the sport.

I have a couple of questions if any of you guys have any information on the sport.

What's a good equipment belt?
    Do you have to have a holster for a tactical flashlight?
    What's the best holster for a 5" 1911?

Any information you guys can give me or advice is highly appreciated!

2. Remove Ads

I shot my first IDPA matches this year. Just ran through an IDPA "qualifier" last month. It's a lot of fun. Like you, I thought I was going to be using my 1911 in .45acp (my old IPSC gun). I went to one match and quickly saw that nobody else was using .45acp. It's basically all 9mm.

So, I did some research and found the Glock 34 Gen4 to be a highly recommended IDPA gun, and I bought one of those. You REALLY need the extra magazine capacity. I carefully polished the internal trigger parts, and installed a 3.5# spring kit, so it has a decent trigger now. Also added 'HiViz' front and rear fiber-optic sights.

Take your .45 and give it a whirl. But if I was you, I wouldn't spend much money on holsters or parts to set that gun up for IDPA. You may find yourself quickly shopping for a 9mm....

I also joined IDPA and I have the latest magazine from them, which has a list of all the guns used in recent Nationals. I will try to scan the list and post a pic here, so you can see which guns are primarily being used.....

Good luck!
    Gbboykin likes this.
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    ... But if I was you, I wouldn't spend much money on holsters or parts to set that gun up for IDPA. You may find yourself quickly shopping for a 9mm...
    There are two fundamental philosophies:

1) Optimize your equipment for IDPA competition performance.

2) Use your normal carry equipment and leverage IDPA as training and practice that would be very difficult to get otherwise.

Both are valid, it just depends on your preference.
    darbo, sensei2 and d2jlking like this.

Using a .45 1911 is a really fun way to shoot IDPA. The division for this is Custom Defensive Pistol. Granted there are generally not as many competitors in CDP, I guess the cost of ammo being the biggest issue.

If your match director is following IDPA rules a string of fire can not exceed 18 rounds maximum. My 1911 uses 8 round mags, that's 24 rounds plus 1 round to "Barney up" for a total of 25 rounds. I use a total of 4 mags. 1 in the gun, 2 in a mag pouch on my belt and 1 in my back pocket expressly to use to put that first round in the chamber, remove it and then put a full mag in the gun.

Here are links to IDPA...
    International Defensive Pistol Association

and the IDPA rule book in PDF...
    http://www.idpa.com/Documents/IDPARuleBook2005.pdf

You can find answers to your equipment questions there better than me trying to type it out.

I'm all for using a 1911 .45 in IDPA, it's a ton of fun. I have shot a classifier in Custom Defensive Pistol and Stock Service Pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by GettingOld2 View Post

2) Use your normal carry equipment and leverage IDPA as training and practice that would be very difficult to get otherwise.

^^^^ This

Well put. I've been shooting a club-level steel match (generally USPSA rules) for about 2 years now, and so far I've avoided the temptation to use "game only" equipment. Every now and then I get to thinking that I'd improve my scores if I was shooting a tuned 9mm single stack with popgun loads instead of my 'street' TRP with major power reloads, and maybe my ego would be a little less bruised if I did. But I got into the game for the fun, the camaraderie among the shooters, and to improve my shooting skills, not to win. While it's not the same as a real-life "social encounter," running 100 rounds under the pressure of the clock, shooting on the move, from barricades and sometimes at moving targets gets the adrenaline going and it's practice I'll never get in my back yard.
    darbo likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Here's a scanned page from the latest IDPA journal. This shows the guns used in the 2012 Nationals.....

IDPA_guns.jpg

-
    Gbboykin likes this.

I use a 1911 5” for carry and IDPA, I use a Kydex holster from Blade Tech and duel mag pouch. You will need 3 Mags minimum generly around 100 rounds ammo. The holster must a concealable type on your belt no shoulder rigs allowed. The reason for Kydex is all the reholstering and they work well for me on the street.

All shooters are in separate classes by ability and gun choice you won’t necessarily be competing against 9mm if your times mean allot to you.

Myself, I am up there in the times but I care little about being the fastest, I care more about accurate shot placement in a hurry, and the proper use of cover.

I don’t have a gun belt, just a heavy belt that fits through my jeans belt loops.
    1911 when a follow up shot just isn't an option

Yeah, I agree with this, for the most part. The whole essence of IDPA is to encourage the use of 'stock' carry guns. But the OP sounded like he was more interested in being competitive rather than honing skills with his EDC gun. And there are definitely more shooters using 9mm than .45..................

-

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    Yeah, I agree with this, for the most part. The whole essence of IDPA is to encourage the use of 'stock' carry guns. But the OP sounded like he was more interested in being competitive rather than honing skills with his EDC gun. And there are definitely more shooters using 9mm than .45..................

-
    Your shooting against guns of the type that you are competing with so, if one chooses to use a revolver, it is in the revolver class not 9mm.
    1911 when a follow up shot just isn't an option

Quote Originally Posted by ntkb View Post
    Your shooting against guns of the type that you are competing with so, if one chooses to use a revolver, it is in the revolver class not 9mm.

Yes, yes, yes - I simply mean that there are typically more shooters in the 9mm class than the other classes. I'd rather be shooting in a class with 15 shooters as compared to a class with two shooters. JMHO, of course.

Shoot in whatever class floats your boat. My boat is happiest floating on the seas of 9mm!

-

My club has some IDPA sanctioned matches, but has more "club" matches that mostly follow IDPA rules, and only costs $10 to enter. As stated previously, there are different classes or divisions that you shoot in, so that you're competing against similarly equipped shooters. You're only allowed 10 rounds in a magazine (levels the playing field to accommodate people that live in areas where only 10 rounds magazines are allowed). My club also runs a match designed for beginners that only has 4 stages, can be shot in a couple of hours, and although safety is always rule #1, other rules aren't quite as stringent, for example, no concealment garment is required. This has quickly become one of the favorite matches at our club.

Personally, I shoot a Smith M&P 9. Only mod was an Apex sear and striker block. I've developed a couple of good handloads for my gun, and typically I score well in points down, but that's what I concentrate on versus speed. My son shoots a Kimber .45 ACP, and with his handloads in a solid stainless steel gun, recoil is no worse than my 9. Plus he has one handload that is just phenomenally accurate.

It's a fun game. I focus first on safety, then having fun, and in the process I improve my skills.
    NRA Life Member

I'll reiterate, I'm more into accurate shots not fast paced, meeting new friends, and if in the process it hones my skills with my EDC, great! (which I have a feeling it will)

Is it more popular to load your own rounds in IDPA?

Quote Originally Posted by Gbboykin View Post
    I'll reiterate, I'm more into accurate shots not fast paced, meeting new friends, and if in the process it hones my skills with my EDC, great! (which I have a feeling it will)

Is it more popular to load your own rounds in IDPA?
    Certainly a lot people do use their own reloads for IDPA or really any other shooting. Taking a little time and doing some experimenting you can develop a load for a given gun that is more accurate than factory loads. That is the idea anyway.

A fellow I was on an IDPA squad with was shooting his 1911 .45, talking about his reloads, he likes to watch the bullet on the way to the target! Needless to say that he has developed a very light load that is accurate for him, has a very low recoil, but will still cycle the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Well put. I've been shooting a club-level steel match (generally USPSA rules) for about 2 years now, and so far I've avoided the temptation to use "game only" equipment. Every now and then I get to thinking that I'd improve my scores if I was shooting a tuned 9mm single stack with popgun loads instead of my 'street' TRP with major power reloads, and maybe my ego would be a little less bruised if I did. But I got into the game for the fun, the camaraderie among the shooters, and to improve my shooting skills, not to win. While it's not the same as a real-life "social encounter," running 100 rounds under the pressure of the clock, shooting on the move, from barricades and sometimes at moving targets gets the adrenaline going and it's practice I'll never get in my back yard.
    There are rules against competition only equipment.
    I have never had a stage using a flashlight. Been shooting about 4 years.
    There are rules concerning ammunition relating to power.
    IDPA is a game, but their are rules to prevent gaming it.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links