NEW Ruger LCP Jams 3 times ? - Page 2

NEW Ruger LCP Jams 3 times ?

This is a discussion on NEW Ruger LCP Jams 3 times ? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm not sure what would cause that. My LCP has over 2500 rounds through it with a variety of ammo. I've had two failures to ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: NEW Ruger LCP Jams 3 times ?

I'm not sure what would cause that. My LCP has over 2500 rounds through it with a variety of ammo. I've had two failures to feed and one fte, all occurred during the same box of ammo so I believe it was the ammo. The question I have is did you clean the gun before using it the first time, including disassembling the magazines?

Bottom feeder in that the gun is fed through the bottom, a la semi autos, not a bad brand or gun. But with grvy he is a revolver guy so the double entendre could be intended :)
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Limp wristing isn't a poor excuse, it's a legitimate grip issue that results in malfunction of the firearm. If it was just an excuse, correcting it wouldn't result in solving the problem.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Limpwristing is an excuse most often used for a firearm that's not as reliable as should be.Unless you have a grip comparable to a child you should look for other solutions.I had similar issues with my lcp which have subsided since switching ammo and higher round count.Many reported issues with the lcp have been solved by switching ammo.
    WRONG....limp wristing is an issue with a lot of semi auto firearms.

NEW Ruger LCP Jams 3 tmes ?

The LCP can also have issues with a light recoil spring. Ruger ships a 9lb spring and it can sometimes cause the issue that you are seeing. I switched mine to the Wolff 13lb and haven't had the problem since.

Take a decent quality semi auto and hold it as lightly as you can.Try to get it to malfunction due to limpwristing.Ive tried it and haven't had it happen.It seems to come up mostly when malfunctions happen to someone's fav gun.If anyone has had a personal experience with it,I'd love to hear about it.Ruger lcp are finicky about ammo

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    tizz986..would be interested in more info on the recoil spring replacement. Was it done to load +P loads or other reasons ???? I have not had a problem with my 9lb factory spring but am wondering if there is a specific advantage to go to 11 or 13 lbs...thanks

Nothing about +p. originally I was having some issues with my LCP being unable to chamber the next round. After doing some research I found that a lot of people were complaining about the same thing.

The light spring has a two fold consequence:

1. When the slide slams back after the round is fired, without an adequate spring, the LCP tends to jump around more than is needed. This doesn't bother everyone, but everyone benefits from getting back on target faster for round #2. its an added bonus of fixing the bigger issue, which is:

2. Something else that can happen with a spring that does not produce enough pressure is that the slide can fail to come all the way forward. This will leave you with a round half chambered and the slide about 1/4 inch back. Sometimes it only happens on the 2nd round when you have it loaded up 6+1.

Like I said though, not everyone ends up with this issue, including a few friends of mine. But the fix if you do get this issue is a heavier spring. Even if you don't have the chambering issue, it's worth it for the noticeable difference in recoil.

As far as 11lb vs 13lb, from the reports I have heard, the 11lb will fix issue #2, but if you can take a little harder pull on the slide, your recoil is greater reduced by the 13lb.
    Last edited by tizz986; November 24th, 2012 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Typo

Thanks Tizz986....are they available locally or do you have to order them.

I ordered mine from: http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%...1/mID52/dID422

They have the combo pack if you want to try out the different weights.

Again...thanks....

No problem at all.

Tizz986...do I have to replace the firing pin spring also....Not sure I know how to do that one.

Nope, they just include it.

ordering now.....thanks...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links