NEW Ruger LCP Jams 3 times ?

This is a discussion on NEW Ruger LCP Jams 3 times ? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Aimless Take a decent quality semi auto and hold it as lightly as you can.Try to get it to malfunction due to ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: NEW Ruger LCP Jams 3 times ?

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Take a decent quality semi auto and hold it as lightly as you can.Try to get it to malfunction due to limpwristing.Ive tried it and haven't had it happen.It seems to come up mostly when malfunctions happen to someone's fav gun.If anyone has had a personal experience with it,I'd love to hear about it.Ruger lcp are finicky about ammo
    Actually, most times that I hear about it happening it is from a new shooter. With new shooters, the first thing to check for is limp wristing.

Just because limp wristing can result in a malfunction doesn't mean that a malfunction will occur EVERY TIME. If a FTE happens with a more experienced shooter, then there's no need to check for limp wristing, and we can move straight on to ammo or magazines.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Tmarkert View Post
    Just bought the LCP on Wednesday and took it to the range today.
    Gun is new straight from the factory, spent 1 day in the store.
    Fired 65 rounds through it and love it, BUT:
    3 times it jammed during ejection.
    Could be that the feed path simply isn't yet smooth enough to avoid hanging up occasionally on certain rounds. In 3-of-65 rounds, it's entirely possible that the case lips stuck out a tad more, or some other minor inconsistency existed as compared to the other rounds in that batch. Could be there was some crud temporarily lodged in the extractor area. Had that sort of thing happen on a couple different (not LCP) pistols before. If it were on a larger gun with a slide stop, I might suggest it could have something to do with a poorly-fitted slide stop (which I had occur on a STI Shadow 1911, myself; swapped out, it ran flawlessly).

At only 65 rounds so far, it's hard to say what the issues are. Not enough failures to go on, I'd say.

Check all the usual stuff: smoothness of the feed/chamber path; any embedded crud/gunge you might be missing, stuck in the nooks and crannies; consistency of the cartridges you're using, possibly by varying the cartridges you use in your testing, to see if the problem follows the cartridge type used; etc.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Great ideas and tips! Thanks to all. Going to order the spring kit just to have it, and will work with an experienced shooter on my grip... Just ordered 250 rounds so we'll see this weekend if its a grip issue
    Wife: Why do want to carry a gun all the time everywhere we go?
    Me: To protect you and the kids, keep myself safe, protect others if needed, and to express my love of my Constitutional Rights.
    Wife: Awwwwww OK <3

take the gun apart and buff the feed ramp to a mirror shine if its not already that way. A Dremel tool and metal polish will fix many of the common FTF issues you will
    ever experience with a pistol no matter the caliber. I perform this little home gun smithing on all new pistols....except Glocks. And I just don't have any FTF issues anymore.

....its a shame that so many manufactures don't bother providing a polished feed ramp from the factory as its the ONE thing that will hang a pistol up every time if its rough.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Put 97 rounds through the LCP this weekend (same rounds as the last time) and not one single problem for me. Just worked on my grip and all is fixed it seems.
    Jammed one time on my wife out of 12 rounds and I could see the pistol jumping back on her when it did it, so limp wristing was the answer/problem
    Wife: Why do want to carry a gun all the time everywhere we go?
    Me: To protect you and the kids, keep myself safe, protect others if needed, and to express my love of my Constitutional Rights.
    Wife: Awwwwww OK <3

Quote Originally Posted by Tmarkert View Post
    Put 97 rounds through the LCP this weekend (same rounds as the last time) and not one single problem for me. Just worked on my grip and all is fixed it seems.
    Jammed one time on my wife out of 12 rounds and I could see the pistol jumping back on her when it did it, so limp wristing was the answer/problem
    Nice to hear when owners work out the Gremlins in a new weapon. Every manufacturer has one go bad now and then Ruger has done a fine job of the years. There is good reason I own so many . My daughter is 30 I offered her any weapon she wanted as her CC no limits she took a LCP and is a darn good shot with it

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links