Just a rant on background checks --

This is a discussion on Just a rant on background checks -- within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; it's nice to hear Cabela's made it right. I don't mind paying a bit of a premium if the store has good customer service. a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Just a rant on background checks --

Just a rant on background checks --

it's nice to hear Cabela's made it right. I don't mind paying a bit of a premium if the store has good customer service.

a KY CCDW license makes a handgun purchase take as long as a Snickers Bar purchase.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Look on the bright side. At least you don't live in a 1 gun a month state. If you did, you would have to wait another month to purchase, then go through the background check wait.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    All told, it actually sounds like a fairly positive experience (as positive as it could be with a defective pistol). The three-day wait is a hassle, but it's honestly not so bad. If you're the easy-going sort, you'll be 'over it' fairly soon. It was wise of the store to compensate you with goodies - that can go a long way when it comes to mollifying people
    And believe it or not, I *am* that easy-going sort. Down to the point that I would've been "satisfied" if they would've said "Gee, you know, there are no returns on used firearms, but let us send it to Ruger for inspection and repair for you" or something along those lines.

I can't fault Cabelas for anything -- They went above and beyond IMO (which is how I deal with my own clients, so it's that much more appreciated).

What I'm finding more and more from this thread is that I'm not as familiar as I thought with waiting periods and what not... I was, through my own ignorance being in IL, under the impression that the 72-hour "cooling off period" was everywhere. Understanding now that it's a 'local' thing makes it even that much more frustrating (don't worry, not so frustrating that I need a 72-hour "cooling off" period). The 4473 is basically instant -- The 72-hour thing is subjective and arbitrary. And in this case, where I'm actually walking in with a pistol that I was waiting for just a day earlier...

I guess this is something to bring up to the lobbyists. Perhaps the "waiting period" should cover a period of time. Sort of like how when you pull a credit report -- Pulling the report "hits" your report -- But that one "hit" allows you to pull your credit report as many times as you want in the next 14 days (so if you're shopping for a car or a mortgage or something, you can shop around for 14 days without taking repeated hits on your credit report).

Just another reason to hate IL I guess...
    NRA Life / Endowment UT, FL, passed and waiting for IL at the moment.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links