Please Help Identify My S&W Snubbie

This is a discussion on Please Help Identify My S&W Snubbie within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have an S&W snub nose revolver (6 shot) with no model markings on it at all. I've found the serial number as well as ...

Thread: Please Help Identify My S&W Snubbie

Please Help Identify My S&W Snubbie

I have an S&W snub nose revolver (6 shot) with no model markings on it at all. I've found the serial number as well as another set of numbers. The serial number is on the bottom of the grip, under the barrel and on the inside of one of the grip panels (as well as someone's initials). The only other markings are "Smith & Wesson. 38 S&W SPC. CTG" on the left side of the barrel. The S&W logo with "Trade Mark" on the left side of the frame below the cylinder release. And "Made in USA" on the right side of the frame above and to the right of the trigger guard. The bluing is almost non-existent. I've done a little research on the net and figured that it's at least pre-WWII. I've seen a lot of comments on other forums saying to get the S&W Standard Catalog, 3rd edition to look it up. This is the only S&W I own and honestly have no need (or money) to buy the book. If anyone could help me out, I'd really appreciate it.

2. Remove Ads

Photo would be helpful..............
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    Photo would be helpful..............

Or a serial number......................

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    I'll just take a guess based on the following; 1. 6 shot revolver, 2. pre-WWII.. If it has fixed sights then it could be an old M&P (pre model 10). If it has adjustable sights it could be a Combat Masterpiece (pre model 15). I don't know the year the Combat Masterpiece came out but the M&P (Military & Police) was out long prior to WWI. Photos would help tremendously. I am by no means an expert so take what I say with a big grain of salt.

It would be a fairly scarce variant to be a pre-war Smith & Wesson Military & Police snub. If it holds six rounds it has to be a K-Frame. Not many were produced in the pre-war years or during the production of the Victory model. A small S&W logo on the left side would likely indicate 1920s-1930s production.

Would be very interesting to see photos of this revolver and learn of its serial number, or at leat all but the last two digits of the serial number.

Could it be a cut-down revolver originally having a longer barrel? There are many more of those about than there are authentic 2-inch Military & Police .38 Special revolvers. Is there a lug beneath the barrel to receive the ejector rod housing and lock it in place? K-Frame Smith & Wesson revolvers cut down to snub length will have had that lug and it's locking point removed. The ejector rod will just be sticking out into space unsupported.

Lee Harvey Oswald used just such a cut-down Smith & Wesson Military & Police revolver to shoot patrolman J.D. Tippetts on the day of the Kennedy assassination.
    http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/c...ewFromFBIR.jpg

Compare the revolver shown in the linked photo to the post-war early 1950s 2-inch Military & Police square butt shown below. The logo is on the right side of the revolver, located on the side plate but the barrel markings are same as pre-war 2-inch K-Frames.

Very interesting. Am standing by with a copy of "The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson." A snub Military & Police from the 1930s would be exciting to see in any condition.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Links