Defensive Carry banner

Bought a scope for my Ruger 10/22

3K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  Pythius 
#1 ·
#4 ·
22 mag scope

yes, they are good little scopes. just remember, you get what you pay for.

they are fine for zeroing and leaving them alone. you can not use the vertical

adjustment to dial in a different range and expect it to return to zero when

you dial it back. my grandson's 10/22 wears a $300 Bushnell Elite. He started

out with a Simmons 22 mag scope. clear glass, good optics.

#5 ·
I am going to keep it real and say no its not a good scope, but I can assure you that it's most likely good enough. If it holds zero and its halfway clear then let it rip. if it bugs too much then save up for a Leopold or Nikkon in the future. Both are not totally outrageous on price, but will serve well.

#7 ·
It's a value-priced scope for a value priced-rifle. Shoot it & your Ruger until you're ABSOLUTELY sure that YOU can outshoot your GEAR. When you think that's the case, hand your rifle to a rifleman. If HE (or she) can still make your combo run better than you can, it's not (yet) time to upgrade. Enjoy!

#8 ·
I got a 30.00 3x9 variable scope on my target 10/22 and my wife has a 250.00 leupold 3x9 on hers,mine is zeroed at 25 yards and will hit anything you aim at,so will hers,I've had my scope for at least 8 years and it gets tossed around in the gun bag and never been knocked out of zero

#9 ·
I have that same scope on my Ruger, and, for no more than it costs, I have been impressed with it. The optics on mine provide a clear view and it holds zero well. My only complaint was with the dovetail rings that came on the scope, as they didn't provide for a secure mount. I ended up switching them out for a set of Weaver 1" Medium height Quad Lock rings and haven't had an issue since. They're probably a little overkill for a .22, but I like my scope mounts to be SOLID.

#11 ·
I have two of them, one with adjustable objective, and one without. For the price, and for the intended use (rimfires), they're fine. I shot Rifleman (Appleseed Event) with the one on my 10/22.

What you get with a much larger investment ($200 vs $50) is much better glass and lens coatings, so the image is sharper and if you shoot for hours at a time (e.g., an Appleseed shoot) you'll be less prone to headache-producing eyestrain. The reticle adjustments are also less precise than on a better scope; if you try to "box" the scope (shoot a group, go 8 clicks left, shoot another group, go 8 clicks down, etc., until you come back to your starting position) you'll be disappointed. But these are features/qualities you won't know you don't have and you won't really miss in casual shooting.

So yes, the .22 Mag scope will do you just fine. Will you be able to hunt rabbits with it? Certainly, within the limits of your shooting ability and that of the ammunition. A 10/22 off the shelf should easily shoot 2" groups at 50 yards with decent ammunition. That's about the size of a bunny's head, so if you can reliably hit a target that size from the positions you intend to hunt from (unsupported offhand?), then you're good to go.

#12 ·
I have a very similar Simmons scope on my 10/22. I grew up with shotguns so I haven't used scopes much but I am very impressed with mine.

Goose

Reactions: Pythius
#13 ·
ok, i got scope today.

it seems pretty good, though i wish the adjustment screws had audible "clicks".

now, to zero it, all i have to do is rest on securely on some bags, aim it at a target, shoot the gun, and then carefully adjust the two screws so that the crosshairs are on the bullet strike, yes?

#17 ·
You are very close. From a steady rest.[ sand bags work well]. set the rifle with the scope cross hairs centered on the target. set up the sand bags in a way that the rifle will support itself. fire one shot. Now reset the rifle with the cross hairs back on the original point of aim. [ now we get to the tricky part]. Without letting the rifle move, using the scope adjustments move the cross hairs to the bullet hole. This should have you on target at that distance. I would try this at no more than 25 yds.

Your choice of scope is a good entry level scope. I have 2 I use on hunting and plinking rimfires. Both have held up well in average conditions for more than a couple of years now. DR

#14 ·
If you're adjusting your POI (point of impact) to go where you want it, then adjust your scope using the directional marks on the turrets. For example, if your POI is 4 inches low, then turn your elevation turret 'up'.

However, if you want to move your reticle toward the bullet hole, then you would have to think backwards. Using the same example from above, to move the reticle 4 inches down, you would still have to turn the elevation turret 'up'.

The directional markings on the turrets are to move the POI, not the POA (point of aim).

Clear as mud?

#21 ·
Unless you're going to be changing scopes out on your rifle a lot or getting a lot of rifles to put scopes on, personally I would just have my LGS bore sight it for me and spend the money on something else. JMO.

#23 ·
who knew a 10/22 could feel heavy?

the scope really does at to the weight. I have to buy a sling.

but yes, the scope seems to be very good. the crosshairs are a nice size, the eyepiece is a good size, so far I can't find anything seriously wrong with it. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.