Bought a scope for my Ruger 10/22

This is a discussion on Bought a scope for my Ruger 10/22 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Cabela's: Simmons® .22 Mag Series Riflescope the reviews seem pretty darn good. what do you guys think, for a beginner scope?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Bought a scope for my Ruger 10/22

Bought a scope for my Ruger 10/22

Cabela's: Simmons® .22 Mag Series Riflescope

the reviews seem pretty darn good.

what do you guys think, for a beginner scope?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Pythius View Post
    Cabela's: Simmons® .22 Mag Series Riflescope

the reviews seem pretty darn good.

what do you guys think, for a beginner scope?
    Yes, its a good scope.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Yes, its a good scope.
    i had someone on another forum tell me "its crap".

do you really think its a good, or just an ok scope for the price?

would i be able to hunt rabbits with this?

22 mag scope

yes, they are good little scopes. just remember, you get what you pay for.

they are fine for zeroing and leaving them alone. you can not use the vertical

adjustment to dial in a different range and expect it to return to zero when

you dial it back. my grandson's 10/22 wears a $300 Bushnell Elite. He started

out with a Simmons 22 mag scope. clear glass, good optics.

VIP Member
    I am going to keep it real and say no its not a good scope, but I can assure you that it's most likely good enough. If it holds zero and its halfway clear then let it rip. if it bugs too much then save up for a Leopold or Nikkon in the future. Both are not totally outrageous on price, but will serve well.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    I am going to keep it real and say no its not a good scope, but I can assure you that it's most likely good enough. If it holds zero and its halfway clear then let it rip. if it bugs too much then save up for a Leopold or Nikkon in the future. Both are not totally outrageous on price, but will serve well.
    well, im a beginner, and as long as its good enough for my beginner purposes, i wont return it.

:)
    carracer likes this.

It's a value-priced scope for a value priced-rifle. Shoot it & your Ruger until you're ABSOLUTELY sure that YOU can outshoot your GEAR. When you think that's the case, hand your rifle to a rifleman. If HE (or she) can still make your combo run better than you can, it's not (yet) time to upgrade. Enjoy!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I got a 30.00 3x9 variable scope on my target 10/22 and my wife has a 250.00 leupold 3x9 on hers,mine is zeroed at 25 yards and will hit anything you aim at,so will hers,I've had my scope for at least 8 years and it gets tossed around in the gun bag and never been knocked out of zero
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

RT
    I have that same scope on my Ruger, and, for no more than it costs, I have been impressed with it. The optics on mine provide a clear view and it holds zero well. My only complaint was with the dovetail rings that came on the scope, as they didn't provide for a secure mount. I ended up switching them out for a set of Weaver 1" Medium height Quad Lock rings and haven't had an issue since. They're probably a little overkill for a .22, but I like my scope mounts to be SOLID.

Quote Originally Posted by Pythius View Post
    i had someone on another forum tell me "its crap".

do you really think its a good, or just an ok scope for the price?

would i be able to hunt rabbits with this?
    If I had not used one, and didn't think it was a good scope, I would not have said so.

Is it the best on the market? No. But for small game hunting it is very good.

Alot of people who say some things do so because they try to make up for their poor marksmanship with gadgets and money. And then there are those who are on a different plateau of shooting that want higher quality because, in fact, their shooting skills are worthy of the additional quality and expense.
    But this last group can use and make the gear in the first group mentioned work very well.

If it holds zero, and has decent clarity, which I know they do, it will make a good addition to your rifle.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I have two of them, one with adjustable objective, and one without. For the price, and for the intended use (rimfires), they're fine. I shot Rifleman (Appleseed Event) with the one on my 10/22.

What you get with a much larger investment ($200 vs $50) is much better glass and lens coatings, so the image is sharper and if you shoot for hours at a time (e.g., an Appleseed shoot) you'll be less prone to headache-producing eyestrain. The reticle adjustments are also less precise than on a better scope; if you try to "box" the scope (shoot a group, go 8 clicks left, shoot another group, go 8 clicks down, etc., until you come back to your starting position) you'll be disappointed. But these are features/qualities you won't know you don't have and you won't really miss in casual shooting.

So yes, the .22 Mag scope will do you just fine. Will you be able to hunt rabbits with it? Certainly, within the limits of your shooting ability and that of the ammunition. A 10/22 off the shelf should easily shoot 2" groups at 50 yards with decent ammunition. That's about the size of a bunny's head, so if you can reliably hit a target that size from the positions you intend to hunt from (unsupported offhand?), then you're good to go.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I have a very similar Simmons scope on my 10/22. I grew up with shotguns so I haven't used scopes much but I am very impressed with mine.

Goose
    Pythius likes this.
    "These days I go down to Wal-Mart and they sell 'em in the back.
    Some people wanna take 'em away, why don't you go bust them boys that's sellin' crack.
    Guns, whether Remingtons 'er Glocks.
    Come on man it ain't like I'm a slingin' 'em on the block." - Justin Moore

ok, i got scope today.

it seems pretty good, though i wish the adjustment screws had audible "clicks".

now, to zero it, all i have to do is rest on securely on some bags, aim it at a target, shoot the gun, and then carefully adjust the two screws so that the crosshairs are on the bullet strike, yes?

If you're adjusting your POI (point of impact) to go where you want it, then adjust your scope using the directional marks on the turrets. For example, if your POI is 4 inches low, then turn your elevation turret 'up'.

However, if you want to move your reticle toward the bullet hole, then you would have to think backwards. Using the same example from above, to move the reticle 4 inches down, you would still have to turn the elevation turret 'up'.

The directional markings on the turrets are to move the POI, not the POA (point of aim).

Clear as mud?
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    If you're adjusting your POI (point of impact) to go where you want it, then adjust your scope using the directional marks on the turrets. For example, if your POI is 4 inches low, then turn your elevation turret 'up'.

However, if you want to move your reticle toward the bullet hole, then you would have to think backwards. Using the same example from above, to move the reticle 4 inches down, you would still have to turn the elevation turret 'up'.

The directional markings on the turrets are to move the POI, not the POA (point of aim).

Clear as mud?
    si senor.

now, after i do this, my scope will be calibrated....but for the distance that I shot...which means if I shoot further away or closer...i have to assume the bullet will go a bit higher...or a bit lower....yes?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links