Stay away from Special Interest Arms

This is a discussion on Stay away from Special Interest Arms within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello all, I hope I'm posting this in the right place but I figured I would post a public service announcement. a bit of background. ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By GH
  • 2 Post By Black Knight
  • 1 Post By dukalmighty

Thread: Stay away from Special Interest Arms

Hello all,
    I hope I'm posting this in the right place but I figured I would post a public service announcement. a bit of background. Rich at Special Interest Arms specializes in caliber conversions and sporterizing upgrades for Enfield Pattern bolt action rifles. Way back in May I ordered a caliber conversion kit for an enfield no4 MK1(no parts matching and sporterized) rifle that I have laying around. the initial estimate was only a few weeks turn around however there were endless excuses as to why my order hadn't shipped yet and then there would be several lapses where Rich would not answer my emails until the requests became "less than civil". 2 months ago he finally said that my order was finished and would ship that week however it never arrived and he has failed to respond to any inquiries I've made since then. the SIA website does not list a phone number to contact them in person and there is no information online as to another way of contacting them. a helpfull mederator on another forum did some interweb voodoo and tracked down a phone number but it has been long disconnected.

everything I've read about Rich and SIA has been nothing short of stellar which is why i am incredibly irritated by a complete lack of customer service and failure to deliver. today I demanded my money refunded...hopefully I can get this resolved however I don't think I would ever use their services again nor would I ever recommend them.
    The only Difference between the vanquished and victorious is resolve.

Ignorance is correctable, stupid aint.

It's peanutbutter jelly time

Administrator
    Did you pay with a credit card? If so dispute the charge and get refunded and let your card co. go after him. Possibly you waited too long though.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

he does not accept credit/debit cards. he only accepts check or money order. I unfortunately paid VIA cashiers check.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Screwed...
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

pretty much I'm just trying to help others avoid making the same mistakes I made

GH
    That goes to prove there are unscrupulous people doing business in any field. I have a problem with dealing with anyone on the phone or the web. I prefer looking them eye to eye in person & hopefully not too far from where I live. One of these days I'll turn into paranoiac, lol.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    It sounds as if you may need to pay another fee for someone to deliver papers to him (preferably a deputy sheriff or process server). Another possibility is if you sent the cashiers check by U.S. mail it may be considered mail fraud which is the jurisdiction of the U.S. Postal Inspection Service. Check the U.S. Postal Service on line to get the Postal Inspector for your area. Few things get a response like someone in uniform or with a badge knocking on your door.
    raytracer and OldVet like this.

Re: Stay away from Special Interest Arms

Thanks for the heads up. When possible, I much prefer doing business face to face. I wouldn't do business with this place in the first place just because they didn't have a phone number. I refuse to communicate solely through email when it comes to business transactions.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Also try contacting his states attorneys office to see if they can help.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Not sure how it would work out,but you sent him a gun for repair work that wasn't returned,You might contact the ATF since it's very likely he has an FFL.
    raytracer likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Ex Member
    No phone, checks or money orders ONLY? No thanks.

Do what dukalmighty said ATF needs honest work

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
    Do what dukalmighty said ATF needs honest work
    They're probably waiting to see where it ends up.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    I found a phone number for them in about thirty seconds:
    Special Interest Arms in Gardnerville, Nevada company profile
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

alright sorry it took so long for an update. I posted very similar public service announcements on several other forums which I am also a member at and within hours had received an email from Rich at SIA accusing me of slander and very Irate. he claimed that he had planned on offering me a free upgraded part with my kit to make up for the long wait but since I was in such a hurry(apparently 6 months was an unrealistic expectation) he would ship it without the upgrade part immediately. I recieved the kit 4 days following the posting of this thread and during installation I broke the part that was not upgraded.

needless to say I will never deal with Special Interest Arms ever again nor am I going to contact them to try and get the part replaced... it'll just take another 6 months to make. I am going to have a good friend of mine who is very skilled at gunsmithing and machining see if he can make a suitable replacement. thank you all for your advice and support.

also none of the phone numbers that are readily found on google work, they are all disconnected.

Sponsored Links