Beretta PX4 Owners. Question:

This is a discussion on Beretta PX4 Owners. Question: within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Two of my friends coincidentally got 9mm px4s (not sure if it comes in anything but 9). I have always had respect for Beretta because ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Beretta PX4 Owners. Question:

Two of my friends coincidentally got 9mm px4s (not sure if it comes in anything but 9).

I have always had respect for Beretta because of the shotguns I have shot of theirs that are fantastic and how quality I know the M9 is.

I shot the PX4 at the range last week for the first time. I love the smoothness of the trigger but I feel like the recoil is awfully high. Perhaps it's just much lighter than my gun.

Anyway, what are your thoughts about this gun as a home defense and possibly a carry gun? It sure looks slick!

The PX4 comes in 3 varieties: the standard PX4 (full size), the PX4 Compact (mid-size), and the PX4 Sub-Compact (sub-compact size). The PX4 and the PX4 Compact have the rotating barrel that is supposed to help absorb some of the recoil, and the PX4 Sub-Compact has the standard tilting barrel.

I carry the PX4 Compact and I have not noticed a tremendous amount of recoil. It does recoil more than my CZ85B, but then my CZ is all steel, while the PX4 is polymer framed. I also shoot an FNX-9, and it seems to have the same recoil, so I can't really tell.

I think it makes a great carry weapon, but then both my other options are full-sized frames.
    Eagleks likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

They have the full size. Recoil isn't CRAZY or anything, don't get me wrong. I find it similar to the recoil and trigger pull of the H&K P30L

I find the PX4 full size pistol to be a very soft shooter. The rotary barrel system reportedly disperses recoil. Indeed it seems so to me. I can't speak to the sub contact model as I have no experience shooting it.
    Anyway, what are your thoughts about this gun as a home defense and possibly a carry gun? It sure looks slick!
    Good for home defense and works for concealed carry as well with the right gear. I think it looks slick too.

I don't own the PX4 storm but my son does (in 9mm). Since he is not on this site I will address your question since I have shot it. Very nice gun and I also love the looks. When considering my own CCW weapon 5 years ago, I seriously contemplated the PX4 but in the .40 cal (yes, it is available in other calibers). The recoil does not concern me and is not perceptible to me as being overly aggressive. The reason I chose another manufacturer is the safety. I did not want a thumb safety on my personal defense weapon. I wanted one that I can pull and shoot without having to think about taking the safety off. Some say, "leave the safety off". Well that is good advice if I could assure that it would never accidentally be turned on. Overall the PX4 is a great weapon and performs magnificently. Oh, another thing...when I was looking...holsters and accessories were not as available for the PX4 as they were for the brand I chose.
    "To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society" - Theodore Roosevelt

USAF 1986 - 1995
    Glock 23 2008 - Present

Took my PX4 SC .40 to the range today along with my XDs .45. Put a couple hundred rounds through both and loved it.. For me the Beretta is just a touch too heavy for my taste of all day IWB carry. The XDs on he other hand is the perfect combination of power and size as far as I'm concerned; for that reason My Beretta .40 SC is going to see mostly home defense use along with most of my other larger handguns. I did conceal carry it for a few months and for the most part is wasn't bad, but the weight did start to bother me later in the day. My Beretta fully loaded is over 30 something ounces. My XDs is around 26oz loaded with 6 rounds of .45ACP. It's a trade off, but if one I'm comfortable with.Final thoughts on the question. If you carry OWB, and that's how you intend to carry it, you should be fine with it. If on the other hand you like to carry IWB and weight might give you pause, I'd suggest something else. I love my PX4 Sc and will not be getting rid of it. It's a great range gun, but its glory wore off fast as one of my favorite carry guns.. Mine now sits on my nightstand, and there is where it will remain; right next to my Mossberg 500. As far as I'm concerned, for home defense, 10 outta 10. As a concealed carry choice, for me anyway, it's a 5 or 6. JMO YMMV..

Oh' the recoil feels higher due to the high bore axes which lends itself to muzzle flip. Compare it to a glock or one of the other low bore axes and you'll see what I mean..
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post

Oh' the recoil feels higher due to the high bore axes which lends itself to muzzle flip. Compare it to a glock or one of the other low bore axes and you'll see what I mean..
    What does high bore axes mean?

Once NJ ever approves my Permit to own, I have already paid for my Px4 F .40. In addition to the Subcompact, Compact, and fullsize, 9mm .40 and .45 there are also different variants or types I guess you could say. C/D/F/G that I know of but I am sure they're more. F is to me is the best, decocking lever, side saftey, all the features I want.

Cannot WAIT to have this gun.

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    The PX4 Storm does indeed have a higher bore axis than Glocks. I haven't shot the PX in .40 or .45, but with my 9mm any extra muzzle flip isn't even apparent due to the soft shooting nature of this gun.

What is a bore axis. The angle the bore is at?

Quote Originally Posted by AdBro View Post
    What is a bore axis. The angle the bore is at?
    This thumbnail shows the higher bore axis on the left as opposed to a gun with lower bore axis on the right. It's a bit of an exaggeration but you can see how the axis of the bore being higher up above the web of the hand could be condusive to greater muzzle flip upon firing..
    Attached Images

Interesting

My wife has a full size PX4 Storm in .40S&W caliber, an she does not find the recoil excessive. Nor do I. Fun gun to shoot, accurate, well made, great for home defense. And since I carry a full size 1911, I don't consider the PX4 Storm too heavy to carry, although it is a bit fatter than a single stack!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Being somewhat new to handguns I don't have much experience with other 9mm pistols so don't have much to compare too. However I really can't imagine other comparable pistols being much softer shooting than the fullsize PX4 9mm. I have a few thousand rounds through mine and it has been a great gun and quite easy to shoot.

Love 4 the PX4

I have the PX4 in full size and subcompact, both in 9mm. The subcompact is "snappy" as compared to the full size, but still quite controllable. I got the subcompact first, thinking to use it both for home defense and CC, and later picked up the full size when I ran into an exceptional deal.

As others have mentioned, even the smaller versions (compact, subcompact) of the PX4 can be a bit heavy and thick for CC, and holsters can be harder to find for them than for many other pistols. Even though I love the way it shoots, these issues nearly caused me to give up carrying my subcompact until I found the Versacarry holster, which cuts down on weight and bulk enough to make carrying it downright comfortable. These days I usually carry a Kahr CW9, which is considerably slimmer and lighter, and therefore both more comfortable and more concealable. The tradeoff, of course, is that it holds only 7+1, vs. the PX4's 13+1. In some contexts, the added capacity makes the PX4 my carry-weapon of choice.

Practical considerations aside, though, I prefer the PX4: the way it fits my hand, the trigger (I had Dave Olhasso do a trigger job on my PX4 sc about a year ago, and he turned an already nice trigger into something unbelievably smooth and light), my accuracy with it - all this plus the capacity makes it really tempting to carry it full time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links