traveling through Canada with a semi-automatic pistol

traveling through Canada with a semi-automatic pistol

This is a discussion on traveling through Canada with a semi-automatic pistol within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am planning a 20-25 day motorcycle trip from the California through parts of Canada and northern Alaska. I will be primarily camping out in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: traveling through Canada with a semi-automatic pistol

Question traveling through Canada with a semi-automatic pistol

I am planning a 20-25 day motorcycle trip from the California through parts of Canada and northern Alaska. I will be primarily camping out in off-road situations. I will be leaving through Montana and returning via Washington.

I am planning on bringing my Glock 17. I know that this gun meets the legal 105mm minimum barrel length requirement.

I will likely be traveling through British Columbia, Alberta, Yukon Territory and Northwest Territories and then enter Alaska. The return will be through Yukon Territory and British Columbia.

I plan on getting the forms/permits done in advance of the trip.

Does anyone have any experiences which they can relate? I plan on taking a side trip up to Inuvik so I won't solely be driving through Canada to get to Alaska.

I've read the Canadian government websites and talked to them on the phone.

NMB
    Get ready for a ton of homework. I wouldnt even know where to start in regards for the border crossing stuff into Canada.

Best of luck, please do a follow up when you get this all sorted out.
    BkCo1 likes this.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

Senior Moderator
    I will be really surprised if you can bring a pistol into Canada, I do believe that any semi auto gun firing center-fire ammo and that has a barrel less than 19 inches is restricted. Plus semi auto mags must be limited to 10rds unless they were manufactured before 1910
    RichB70 likes this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    I could not get my XD ir Sig into B.C. last year

I guess if you get all the paperwork approved and the Canadians let you take your gun into Canada,I don't think you will be allowed to travel with it loaded.OMO I could be wrong,but Canada is part of the British Empire and we all know how the Uk feels aboutguns and SD
    oneshot likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

There are some Canucks that'll check in here.

I'm guessing that you WILL NOT be taking that pistola into Canada.
    The only thing that a pistol will do for you in Canada is get you free '3 hots and a cot' for an extended period of time.IMHO
    RichB70 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I guess if you get all the paperwork approved and the Canadians let you take your gun into Canada,I don't think you will be allowed to travel with it loaded.OMO I could be wrong,but Canada is part of the British Empire and we all know how the Uk feels aboutguns and SD
    Hey Duke, I think Canada acquired their independence a while ago. But still not very gun friendly.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    JMO, but I think it would be safe to say "It ain't gonna happen". You might want to PM GunnyBunny. He hails from BC and travels back and forth to the US. He should be able to give you a definitive answer on if and how.
    oneshot and gasmitty like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Since no one else in Canada will answer, I guess I will. I live in BC and the ONLY way you will get a firearm (other than a hunting rifle) into Canada, is with an invitation to a registered pistol club shoot. The firearm MUST be locked in a secure carrying case, with a trigger lock, and the ammo must be locked up in a separate box. If you get your invitation to a club you will have issued to you a temporary ATT (authorization to transport), which will be Day, Week, Month, and Year time stamped, and the route that you MUST take with your firearm will be designated. You will NOT take any side trips or stop for lunch. If you do I have heard that the jail cells here in BC are nicer than most, but you could let me know.... I think a nice boat trip to Alaska would be your best bet...
    "Machines cannot be liked or disliked; they are immune to emotion. We can use them or misuse them,
    so the problem of machines is a human problem like all others."
    "Slippery" Jim DiGriz (via Harry Harrison)

^^^ Thats what I was thinking but not sure,last time I drove into Canada with Texas Plates one of the Border Guards asked "Do you have any Firearms" Another Guard said "He's from Texas of course he has guns" I said yep I just dropped them off to get cleaned about 10 minutes ago
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    You have a better chance of playing pick-up-sticks with your butt cheeks than getting a "pistol" into the Peoples Republic of Chi,.....er, Canada.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

We hunt ducks in Canada and have no problem with shotguns. You need to fill out a non resident firearms declaration in triplicate. Make sure you do not sign it as you have to sign it in front of a customs officer.
    As far as handguns it is much more difficult, but they have rules permitting it that are really meant for US residents passing through to Alaska. I have never taken a handgun as you can't really "carry" it and a gun locked in a case is of little use. The deem handguns a restricted firearm and you have to fill out so special forms. I don't know what they call the form because I never used them.
    One warning, make sure you do it right. You only get one chance and they will confiscate your gun and hat is he last you will ever see it.
    A word to the wise isn't necessary, save it for the stupid

You can fedex it to yourself at your first Alaska stop before you enter Canada, and do the same for the reverse trip.

Post Couple things I think I have learned (especially for my motorcycle):

Couple things I think I have learned (especially for my motorcycle):
    1. No one personally has done this (who replied).
    2. The Glock 17 semi-automatic handgun is a restricted but not prohibited gun. (Glock 17 barrel length 114mm > 105mm mimimum).
    3. To transport the gun: Unload the firearm and attach secure locking devices to the firearms and lock the firearms in a sturdy, non-transparent container. If you are in a remote wilderness area and cannot lock your non-restricted firearms inside your vehicle, unload them and put them out of sight. Attach a secure locking device to the firearms unless they are needed for predator control.
    4. Store the ammunition separately or lock it up. It can be stored in the same locked container as the firearms.
    5. At least two forms are required: Non-Resident Firearms Declaration (Form CAFC 909 EF), and its continuation sheet (Form CAFC 910 EF) must be presented in triplicate, unsigned, to a customs officer at your first point of entry into Canada. The second type of form is the Authorization to Transport (ATT) which should be obtained prior to entry for convenience. The ATT issuance is at the discretion of the Chief Firearms Officer (CFO) of the province. A valid reason is transport to/from point of entry/exit for a restricted firearm. Another reason for an ATT can be because of a Canadian gun club event.

I have talked to the Canadian Firearms Program through their 800 number (800-731-4000) and they were helpful and didn't seem to have any agenda. I am in the process of having an email conversation with the Canadian Firearms Program agency and will give updates to this thread as more information is obtained for example on transiting from one province to another and the CFO of each province.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links