frame question

frame question

This is a discussion on frame question within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; hey guys, my questions is : in a commander size 1911, is a steel frame "that" much better than a alloy frame for carry and ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By archer51
  • 1 Post By ghost tracker

Thread: frame question

frame question

hey guys, my questions is : in a commander size 1911, is a steel frame "that" much better than a alloy frame for carry and doing tons of range shooting? im trying to decide which to buy, seems to be alot more choices in alloy frame 1911s... my range doesnt have an all steel 1911 that i can rent, however, i have shot one of the Kimber commander guns (alloy) and i have no problem with a fast 2nd & 3rd shot.. just wondering if i would be dissapointed down the road with an alloy frame.....thanks

VIP Member
    In most situations I don't see a problem with an alloy frame. I wouldn't recommend a steady diet of +P ammo in an alloy frame though.
    OD* likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

For the most part an alum alloy frame is fine. I have a Kimber Ultra CDP that eats anything I feed it. However if I were going to do "tons of range shooting" including alot of +P's then I'd go with steel.
    Last edited by SmokinFool; December 3rd, 2012 at 06:56 PM.

Well, considering your question, a good compromise might be an S&W Scandium-framed 1911 Commander variant. Scandium is a proprietary aluminum alloy designed to provide additional strength & elasticity beyond conventional aluminum. Yet, practically speaking, modern aluminum technology minimizes most of the durability concerns from decades past. It's harder to break or wear-out an alloy 1911 frame than you might imagine. Yes, steel will last longer. But the question remains, longer than...what?
    aus71383 likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

They are nice to carry. Much lighter. I have read that the original Commanders with alloy frames were very capable of handling thousands of rounds. That being said, if you truly plan on shooting tons and tons of ammo through one, I'd be a little hesitant. Might not wear it out, but the rails will wear much faster, and the gun will get looser, which is probably alright, but what I'm saying, is that wear COULD become an issue. Hollow point bullets will mess up the feedramps too, however there are some new magazines that seem to greatly reduce that problem.

If possible, get the alloy frame to carry, and then a steel framed gun to use for target, hunting, playing, etc.

I don't really notice much difference in recoil.

I own both and agree with the previous comments. I seriously doubt that you will wear out an alloy framed 1911, and they are a delight to carry. On the other hand, if I were just buying a range gun I would chose all steel for its weight and to alleviate any remaining concern you may have about excessive frame wear or cracking.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Links