.410 Revolver.

This is a discussion on .410 Revolver. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; just bought the governor I like it because it comes in 45acp plus the 45 colt and 410...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: .410 Revolver.

just bought the governor I like it because it comes in 45acp plus the 45 colt and 410

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by houdini View Post
    just bought the governor I like it because it comes in 45acp plus the 45 colt and 410
    me too!

it will also shoot up 45 gap. I love to wear mine in a DeSantes shoulder rig, when I take the dog for a walk. 45 colt is fun to shoot at the range!
    It is kinda big for a carry gun. The 45 colt is much easier to shoot than the 44 Mag.
    You can see the media from the .410 shot when you shoot. Does not go very far but makes a mess of the paper targets.
    It is a luxury to have not a need.

Ok, how about the .28 compared to the .410? the judge has a 28 out there and if its considerable better I wouldn't mind the 5 shots.

The actual payload, by weight, between a .410 and a 28 gauge is much the same, the 28 typically having a 3/4 oz. payload and the .410 having an 11/16 oz. payload. One could gain a small effect due to bore diameter if one could find 28 gauge slugs. That'd be about it.

Don't think the 28 gauge Judge ever made it to market. I read that BATFE slapped Taurus back.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

If you want to CC it, look at the Public Defender Polymer, here is a size comparison to my Glock 19 and S&W 442.

IMG_3031sml.jpg

With the Federal OOO buck rounds it is more than enough for short range defensive use. My tests of the Federal ammo show it will penetrate over 4 gallon milk jugs and keeps a tight pattern out past 10 yards.

In regards to the Judge and Governor, the S&W product hands down has better fit & finish, but it comes at a price. I think this is a unique close range defense platform with 2 good rounds (3 in the case of the Governor, which fires the .45 ACP as well). Winchester makes a nice package of .45 LC and special .410 loads for these guns.
    The size of this platform is rather large. Would not be my choice for EDC, as you can easily get more firepower and capacity in a smaller package. That said, it is a fun weapon to own and shoot.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    My EDC is a S&W Governor. I carry mostly crossdraw IWB using a Blackhawk #2 and it`s really comfortable. First round is Federal 000 Buck then a Winchester Ranger 230gr HP reload. Hope I never have to use it but ya never know.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    I like sporting shotguns I own a bunch of 'em love to bird hunt, & you hardly ever see any .410's in long gun form in the field ...ever. Thats because even for the smallest game birds .410's just don't have the horse power!
    Fun too shoot yes, but believe this or not but a box of 25 .410 shotshells cost the same as a box of 25 12 gauge shells!

The velocity loss from a revolver would be substantial so I just can not see a .410 revolver as a serious defensive tool irregardless of the load used.

If I had to travel through or work in snake country I darn sure would have one !
    Other than that application .410 revolvers are just a curious novelty.

VIP Member
    Just person opinion, but I view the Judge and Governor as gimmick guns. Buckshot out of a .410 is minimal number of pellets, a slug, while effective, is not going to be better than 45 LC, and if your going to use .45LC why not a gun designed for it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links