Is REM oil needed on phosphate coated rifle barrels?

This is a discussion on Is REM oil needed on phosphate coated rifle barrels? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; To protect from moisture and such?...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gasmitty

Thread: Is REM oil needed on phosphate coated rifle barrels?

To protect from moisture and such?

Administrator
    Yes, all Parkerizing should have an initial protective coating of oil UNLESS the Parkerizing is being used as a preliminary base coating for Duracoat or Ceracote etc. then naturally you would never oil it before top coating it.

My barrel has a phosphate coating. Just don't know if I need to spray on top of this base

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    I just use a small amount of CLP on almost all of the exterior of my rifle.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Just about any oil will work... never found anything about RemOil to make me buy more after I tried it.
    OldVet likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Administrator
    All Phosphate coating are either Zinc or Manganese AKA Parkerizing. All Phosphate coating are always given a light coat of oil (usually a dunk in oil while the metal is still hot) and then what oil remains on the surface is wiped completely off.

If you want to paint it.............

You should plug both ends of your barrel and scrub it with a nylon brush in extremely HOT strong degreasing detergent - remove it and then finish up with a solvent degreaser - spray electrical contact cleaner works very well.

You can buy that in spray cans at the hardware store. One can should do it.

Spray soak some torn up bath towel w/ the contact cleaner and rub the barrel down. Warm it up with a heat gun and repeat. - It drys almost immediately and then you should be able to safely Duracoat it.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Damn. I'm just asking if I should rub it down with oil before putting it away like I do on my 870!

Quote Originally Posted by AdBro View Post
    Damn. I'm just asking if I should rub it down with oil before putting it away like I do on my 870!
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Yes
    thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Yes
    That answer is too simple and exactly what the OP asked for,we people here at DC tend to lean towards taking the OP down a road on a ride he never envisioned in his lifetime,flooding them with Relevant,Not So Relevant,and completely Irrelevant information to show how much information we have stored and just waiting to dazzle them.
    Now what was the Question LOL
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Yes, you should put a coat of oil on parkerized surfaces. The parkerization helps hold in the oil better than bluing would.

Remoil is pretty thin. It is easy to apply, but it tends to evaporate. I recommend CLP.

Administrator
    This post of yours (Post #3) is what caused me to not understand exactly what your intentions were.

My barrel has a phosphate coating. Just don't know if I need to spray on top of this base

Because the standard operating procedure for doing Duracoat is to sandblast...Phospate coat...and then spray on top of that Phosphate coating which is used as a base coat.

SO....gun owners that want to Duracoat over a factory Phosphate finish think that they can just do it without degreasing first but, they can't because the Duracoat will ultimately fail.

So when you posted that you wanted to SPRAY on top of this base that confused me because folks don't usually spray oil.

Hopefully now you can better understand how I misunderstood you.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    This post of yours (Post #3) is what caused me to not understand exactly what your intentions were.

Because the standard operating procedure for doing Duracoat is to sandblast...Phospate coat...and then spray on top of that Phosphate coating which is used as a base coat.

SO....gun owners that want to Duracoat over a factory Phosphate finish think that they can just do it without degreasing first but, they can't because the Duracoat will ultimately fail.

So when you posted that you wanted to SPRAY on top of this base that confused me because folks don't usually spray oil.

Hopefully now you can better understand how I misunderstood you.
    sry i misunderstood your misunderstanding :)

but back to REM oil and CLP. I love REM because of how easy it is to apply and that it can be sprayed ANYWHERE on the firearm. True, it's thin, but I'm frequently shooting so it's not like I'm using REM for long term storage. I was under the impression that CLP was just for cleaning. How is it different or the same?

Last thing: Parkerized = phosphate coated?

Administrator
    Last thing: Parkerized = phosphate coated?

Yep, One and the same.

Links