I know the general feeling, but...

This is a discussion on I know the general feeling, but... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I found what looks like an awesome deal on an old Taurus model 82 with a 4" barrel; looks just like a Smith model 10. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: I know the general feeling, but...

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen

I know the general feeling, but...

I found what looks like an awesome deal on an old Taurus model 82 with a 4" barrel; looks just like a Smith model 10. I'm getting a $125 trade on my nearly new PT22. (Which cost nearly $200- and I don't see it getting any higher)

The grip looks just a little worn, but nothing looks bad, and I can get it for about $60 after trade.

Anybody with any pros or cons? I would appreciate a little input from people with experience.

"Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

2. Remove Ads

Aw, no pics?
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I don't have it yet, but it looks very much like this- I'm still thinking.

Taurus82.jpg

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

I've never owned a Taurus but have played with/dissassembled/worked on other folks' Taurus products and have seen some pretty really disappointing characteristics of Taurus materials and workmanship. We're talking both metallurgical or heat treating issues and also fitting of parts. Some claim to never have trouble but if they don't it may have only been an accident that they didn't.

I'm convinced that I don't need one for serious self-defense purposes.
    OD* and Secret Spuk like this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I've owned an carried half a dozen Taurus revolvers over the years and found them to be 100% reliable. However I haven't laid a hand on one made within the last 20 years. I dunno how good they are nowadays but I'd still trust the old ones.

Anybody else? If all the pieces fall into place tomorrow, I'll probably be bringing it home- one of the beautiful things about SC.

I'm just hoping to hear from some personal experience.

Taurus is hit or miss, but if you get a good one... for $60 and a different Taurus I'd give it a whirl. I'd also put 500 rounds through the gun before I ever trusted it enough to carry it.

I had a Taurus 85 way back when that was utterly reliable. I have a PT709 that has been flawless. I also had 3 different Taurus guns that weren't so hot...
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I have two Taurus 85s; both completely reliable. Both have been regular EDC and remain in the rotation.

Got a 650 CIA that I like a lot (prob had it 8 or 9 years) and its been great. Purchased a Public Defender recently and had several FTF at its first range session. I was not happy.

Had felt pretty good about Taurus products before this, but now not so much.

VIP Member
    I believe their revolvers are great stuff but don't think much of their automatics for reliability. But then again there is a lot of auto loaders I just don't put utter trust in.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Here is a picture of my M85 SS +P rated 5 shot .38 special love the gun and have had no problems. I also owned a Taurus back in the 80's I can't recall the model but it was .38 also, 6 shot 3 inch barrel blued had no problems with it.
    20121205_214735.jpg

I have a stainless Model 82 with a 4" barrel. It's actually not a bad gun. Its really accurate and has a pretty decent trigger. For that price, I think it would be worth a try.

Well, after lots of running around and lots of...stuff... I got the Taurus. $58.xx after taxes, and lots of trouble from the guy working the counter. Haven't shot it yet, but I'm hoping to get some time in soon.

Pictures to follow shortly.

Here it is, as promised.
    Attached Images

I have owned ten Taurus® revolvers.
    • Mdl 85B2CH 38 Special - 1994
    • Mdl 669SS4CP 357 Magnum - 1996
    • Mdl 85B2 38 Special - 1997
    • Mdl 617SS2 357 Magnum - 2003
    • Mdl 605SS3 357 Magnum - 2006
    • Mdl 85SS2UL 38 Special - 2007
    • Mdl 605SS2 357 Magnum - 2010 (Replaced with a 2012 605SS2)
    • Mdl 425SS2 41 Remington® Magnum - 2012
    • Mdl 605SS2 357 Magnum - 2012 (Replaced 2010 605SS2)
    • Mdl 85SS2UL 38 Special - 2012

All have performed superbly and I continue to shoot them all almost every week.

I have only encountered these problems.........
    • Mdl 85B2CH broke a firing pin (part# 19) after 11,000+ rounds. I replaced the firing pin & it's still going strong.
    • Mdl 85SS2UL had the cylinder stop (part# 44) wear down after 10,000 rounds. Called Taurus® and they shipped the part right away. Installed new cylinder stop and now the gun works fine.

I have zero complaints with Taurus® customer service. The times I had to send a gun in they fixed and returned it when they said they would. Specifically.....................
    • Mdl 617 developed excessive cylinder to forcing cone gap (.011") after almost 6,000 rounds. I sent it to Taurus® and they replaced the cylinder (part# eight and adjusted the yoke [part# 9]) I've since put 3,000+ rounds through it and it's still going strong.
    • Mdl 605SS2 cylinder would not advance to next chamber after shot and trigger would not reset (after 5,400 rounds). Taurus® replaced the firearm with a new (2012 605SS2)

Taurus® is the only gun manufacturer that warrants the firearm; and not the original purchaser. You could be the 50th owner of a used Taurus® (1977 or later), or Rossi® (1999 or later); and you have a lifetime warranty. No other firearm manufacturer offers this, NONE!

I will not hesitate to buy additional Taurus® revolvers. They are an outstanding value.
    Here is a wealth of Taurus® information..........

Taurus Firearms Forum - TaurusArmed.net
    David
    Only two defining forces have ever died for you.....
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, and Coast Guardsman.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links