Am I the only one who watches tv/movies and...

This is a discussion on Am I the only one who watches tv/movies and... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hollywood has ruined gun handling for me. Every time I see a scene where a gun is used to threaten someone, I wait for the ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Am I the only one who watches tv/movies and...

Hollywood has ruined gun handling for me. Every time I see a scene where a gun is used to threaten someone, I wait for the inevitable racking of the slide... which takes me right out of the moment knowing that the gun wasn't loaded.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    Hollywood has ruined gun handling for me. Every time I see a scene where a gun is used to threaten someone, I wait for the inevitable racking of the slide... which takes me right out of the moment knowing that the gun wasn't loaded.
    I forgot about that! Just last night I was watching a show when a whole bunch of agents (of some type) entered a room and proceeding to hold a criminal at gun point. Each one needed to rack the slide to load a round into the chamber. Up until that point they were wandering around the building with unloaded weapons pointing them in all kinds of directions!

What's even funnier is when you see them rack the slide on the same gun a few times, just to look cool. I chuckle thinking about all those perfectly good rounds lying on the ground somewhere.

Say, I was just reading the thread about drinking and CCW. That would be a good drinking game (but not while armed): a swig of beer for gratuitous slide racking or calling a magazine a clip, and a shot of whiskey (or whatever) for more serious offenses, like sweeping everybody in the room. Or blowing somebody's head off.

I couldn't tell you how many 1911's I've seen in the movies that shoot 30 rounds without changing mags...pretty amazing.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I always make a point of looking for the trigger finger in TV and movies.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

My favorite is when someone shoots the gun dry and the slide locks back...and the foley guy keeps adding clicking-trigger-and-hammer-falling sounds!

The main time I get PO'd by the trigger finger issue is when the folks with the guns are supposedly highly trained operators. You can't expect gang bangers to know proper gun handing. Heck, they're lucky to even have the handgun oriented vertically!
    tcox4freedom likes this.

I can watch both Predator and Predators on Netflix. There's a HUGE difference in the quality of how the weapons were handled (by these professional "soldiers")!
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Don't you just love it when they fire a double barrel shot gun seven or eight times without reloading?

Distinguished Member
    Ya, it's just rediculous. It's pretty much ruined watching action scenes in movies and tv. A few years ago, I had no clue though.

Heck, somebody posted a youtube video on here that I watched and the guy in the video had his finger in the trigger gaurd the whole time, it just felt uncomfortable watching it. I kept wanting to yell at him "get your finger outta there!".
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Quote Originally Posted by revldm View Post
    Don't you just love it when they fire a double barrel shot gun seven or eight times without reloading?
    Army of Darkness FTW!!!
    revldm likes this.

Shop smart, shop S-Mart!
    - Ash

Hollywood overall, has done such a bad job with firearms handling, it's a running joke. My father pointed out the guns with endless round magazines when I was young. It was a sarcastic comment about the 1911 he had in the Army needing to be reloaded after firing 8 rounds.

The constant racking of firearms in movies/tv shows just gets annoying.

You just swept an entire warehouse chasing a heavily armed psychopath that killed off dozens (maybe thousands) of people, and a few well trained SWAT teams, with no round chambered? Really?!?!

Towards the end of A Perfect Getaway the antagonist is chasing the female protagonist and fires 11 rounds out of a 1911 and it's not locked back when he's done.

I never notice poor handling and safety techniques since they are the norm. What makes me sit up and take notice is when I see someone on TV or a in a movie do it the right way. I was astounded when I started watching Strike Force on the Max cable channel last year, everything was done correctly. When I looked up the info about the series I found that the creator and executive producer is a former SAS guy who put the cast through training and boot camp before filming.

I notice it but does not distract from the movie/show. It is not like they are used as training films LOL. As far as other folks learning from it...I highly doubt they even notice where the guys finger is while he blowing away 50 guys. And I would really doubt it if anyone was watching where Lara Crofts finger was when she was shooting up BG's

On a side note I do notice RL pics of folks. My nephew is in Afghanistan and he sent home a pic of him and his buddies posing with their weapons. One dude had a magazine in, wepaon was not on safe and his finger was on the trigger......just plain stupid.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    OOOooo...OD*, I didn't notice that though I did have a vague sense that something was "incorrect" about his rifle, now that you mention it. I attributed it to being an altered rifle but perhaps it was rather changes in props given to the Duke.
    Good reason to watch the film again.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links