Am I the only one who watches tv/movies and... - Page 3

Am I the only one who watches tv/movies and...

This is a discussion on Am I the only one who watches tv/movies and... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; No, it's a movie. Good grief. I do notice that a .45 can be fired with absolutely no recoil whatsoever and no worry about missing....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Am I the only one who watches tv/movies and...

No, it's a movie. Good grief. I do notice that a .45 can be fired with absolutely no recoil whatsoever and no worry about missing.

It's just a habit. Especially with a safety aspect I notice most ever 'gaff' or mistake made.

As a retired Submarine sailor I just cannot watch a TV show or movie with any kind of submarine in it and not laugh at how they messed it up or 'Hollywood'ed' it.
    I'm just bad that way.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I find that I waffle on 'unlimited ammo'. In some movies, I get it and I don't mind. In other movies, it bugs the heck out of me. It's similar in sci-fi movies, when sometimes the 'breaking of the laws of physics' bugs me, and sometimes it doesn't. It's mostly a function of the director, I think. In Prometheus, they carbon-dated a space suit and that pissed me right off, but in Resident Evil the zombies can function for weeks or months without eating and I don't care.
    GunsAndViolince likes this.
    The only acceptable long-term outcome is to find a cure. It's an actual solution, requiring forward-thinking efforts.

Until then, we're just arguing about who's pushing who.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    Ya, it's just rediculous. It's pretty much ruined watching action scenes in movies and tv. A few years ago, I had no clue though.

Heck, somebody posted a youtube video on here that I watched and the guy in the video had his finger in the trigger gaurd the whole time, it just felt uncomfortable watching it. I kept wanting to yell at him "get your finger outta there!".
    This is where the REAL danger of Hollywood s-ups. Most of the idiots in America imitate what they see on TV & in the movies. Then, they may go out & make some stupid YouTube video where other idiots may actually believe they are watching an expert. Thus, perpetuating the spread of BAD habits that can get someone killed.

-

I don't watch TV and rarely movies that involve guns. I don't find shooting people entertaining. I haven't always been this way but it is the situation I find myself in now and I'm o.k. with it.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Besides bad gun handling, I can't stand the various clicks and clacks of cocking hammers or taking a gun off safe - with GLOCKS!
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    When seconds count, help is minutes away!

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nwbackpacker View Post
    What bothers me the most is that they're always pointing the weapons at each other seemingly having no idea that they're handling deadly weapons.
    Along with all the other issues, like trigger discipline, there is a more serious problem with this that should concern all responsible gun owners: that the mass public that does NOT have first hand experience with and education about guns, believes that this is how people with guns really do act and it may be contributing at least in part to their fear and misconceptions.

I just noticed last evening that Michael Weston doesn't even keep a round in the pipe! Haven't been watching trigger areas yet..

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    Along with all the other issues, like trigger discipline, there is a more serious problem with this that should concern all responsible gun owners: that the mass public that does NOT have first hand experience with and education about guns, believes that this is how people with guns really do act and it may be contributing at least in part to their fear and misconceptions.
    My son told me today that while playing airsoft war yesterday one of his friends negligently shot himself in the leg with an airsoft pistol. This boy is a 15 year old kid that loves to hunt and does so regularly. This young man's grandfather, uncle & daddy are all hunters and they all have big drinking problems.

I told my son that is exactly why I won't let him go hunting with any of his friends or their parents. Heck, I don't even like my son going over to their house to play!

-

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    This is where the REAL danger of Hollywood s-ups. Most of the idiots in America imitate what they see on TV & in the movies. Then, they may go out & make some stupid YouTube video where other idiots may actually believe they are watching an expert. Thus, perpetuating the spread of BAD habits that can get someone killed.

-
    OTOH, I'm wildly in favor of the popularity of the "gangster grip". Who knows the next time it might save my life?
    Curzyk and tcox4freedom like this.
    The only acceptable long-term outcome is to find a cure. It's an actual solution, requiring forward-thinking efforts.

Until then, we're just arguing about who's pushing who.

Quote Originally Posted by Curzyk View Post
    I just noticed last evening that Michael Weston doesn't even keep a round in the pipe! Haven't been watching trigger areas yet..
    In all fairness, they almost never use holsters in Burn Notice. The chance for committing a ND is more likely carrying that way.

BN is an odd show, where they are oftentimes use chambering a round for effect against people in the show, or before they move in to deal with a situation.

BN has better firearms handling than many shows. Still, not perfect. At least they reload after a magazine gets emptied. That is such a big improvement over many shows/movies out there.
    Curzyk likes this.

Am I the only one who watches tv/movies and...

I go over the same types of things when watch TV or movies with airplanes/pilots in them. I laugh when a people are walking around the cabin of an airplane or sleeping in a full size bed and then when the camera shows them getting off the plane, it's a Lear 35 or something else slightly larger than a shoebox. And the terminology is usually hilarious.

on a related note, I nearly vomited when I licensed pilot said he didn't think his plane would take off on a conveyor belt moving in the wrong direction on an episode of Mythbusters. I'll bet his first instructor had a stroke over that.

at least there's less of a chance of someone taking aviation related theatrical shortcomings home with them and killing someone. I'd hope that most people are smart enough to disregard nearly everything they see in a movie no matter what the producers claim and not attempt to do anything with a firearm they saw Schwarzenegger do. but I'm often disappointed by the things "most people" do so I don't hold my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    OTOH, I'm wildly in favor of the popularity of the "gangster grip". Who knows the next time it might save my life?
    A co-worker of mine keeps joking with me saying that I need to work on my gangster grip at the range. It's tempting to try, especially since empty casings bounce off the lane's wall and then hit me! I've also been tempted to try shooting one-handed, but I can't bring myself to do it. I want the most accurate shots I can get.

Quote Originally Posted by Curzyk View Post
    I've also been tempted to try shooting one-handed, but I can't bring myself to do it. I want the most accurate shots I can get.
    - You should practice shooting with one hand. You may find yourself in a situation where you have an injured hand or arm. Same reasoning for practicing with your off-hand.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

I don't think anyone mentioned it, but I wouldn't mind owning a movie "silencer".
    CanuckQue likes this.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links