Am I the only one who watches tv/movies and...

This is a discussion on Am I the only one who watches tv/movies and... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ...automatically checks to see if somebody has their finger on the trigger when they shouldn't. There is lots of poor gun handling in Hollywood. Some ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Am I the only one who watches tv/movies and...

...automatically checks to see if somebody has their finger on the trigger when they shouldn't. There is lots of poor gun handling in Hollywood. Some I notice, some I don't notice, and some I don't really care about. But I'm 1000000% when it comes to the trigger finger. I can live with barrel rolls and running 50 yard shots thru the eye and Walther ppk's versus ak-47's, but I can't get over some cop fingering the trigger while talking to his partner.
    darbo, Edward7, msgt/ret and 4 others like this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KSP View Post
    ...automatically checks to see if somebody has their finger on the trigger when they shouldn't. There is lots of poor gun handling in Hollywood. Some I notice, some I don't notice, and some I don't really care about. But I'm 1000000% when it comes to the trigger finger. I can live with barrel rolls and running 50 yard shots thru the eye and Walther ppk's versus ak-47's, but I can't get over some cop fingering the trigger while talking to his partner.
    Mark Wahlberg does this all the time in "The Other Guys". He even points the gun at his partner in the car while they're talking - several times.

Yeah, I'm always looking to see if they're properly handling a gun and most of the time, they're not.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Glad I'm not the only one...
    NRA Life / Endowment UT, FL, passed and waiting for IL at the moment.

Always - drives me crazy.

I'll join the crowd.

I feel slightly, slightly, less crazy now.

Just rewatched Pulp Fiction the other day. Last shot of the movie, Sam Jackson and John Travolta stick their guns down the front of their pants. Just a quick shot, so I backed it up and checked--sure enough, both triggers were fingered. You'd think inadvertently blowing off a dudes head earlier in the day would teach proper handling techniques.
    "Your mind is the weapon, all the rest are just tools." --gasmitty

Yeah, it's all pretty silly (the poor handling). Few of them seem to get it right.

My personal fave: In the film Heat, when Pacino's character spends 30secs in the elevator doing a press-check from every angle short of looking down the barrel.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

It is a movie , it is not real does not madder what they do. Heck in war moves you see them using version of the M16 years before it was released. You see M16A3 being used when t should be M16A1's
    You see select fire 3 round burst weapon firing full auto
    Movie nothing to do with real world I ignore it.

It's the anachronisms that grab me. Was watching "The Searchers" this weekend. You know something's amiss when the film opens with the words "Texas 1868" and the screen is filled up with Monument Valley in Utah/Arizona and John Wayne and Co. are all outfitted with the Colt Single Action Army revolver, otherwise known as the Colt Model 1873, and Winchester Models 1892s, 1894s, and a few 1873s arm everyone including the Indians.

Director John Ford saw fit to leave an obvious accidental discharge in a scene for all to see. In the scene where the "good guys" were chased across a river by Indians and choose to make a stand on the opposite bank behind a fallen tree, we see actor Ward Bond being tossed a spare Colt revolver by John Wayne after Bond finally shot his own revolver dry. As Bond grasps the revolver at waist level, just in front of his stomach and right after catching it, the gun discharges while he's not got a good grasp on it, the barrel also skewed off in a cockamamie direction. Bond plows ahead with the scene, lifting and aiming the revolver across the river and firing off more "5-in-1" blanks at the opposite bank but the goof is readily apparent and pretty humorous.
    OD* likes this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

So I am just as crazy as everyone else? Phew, was worried! I always analyze the gun stuff. Not necessarily trigger etiquette but shot count without reloading, and other seemingly obvious gaffes.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

OD*
    In that same scene Bryan, the Duke's '92 carbine jumps back and forth with a '92 short rifle.
    Last edited by OD*; December 4th, 2012 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Spellun'
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Or in the film Open Range when Costner's character rattles off ~12 rounds from his "six shooter" at one BG.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    I that same scene Bryan, the Duke's '92 carbine jumps back and forth with a '92 short rifle.
    OOOooo...OD*, I didn't notice that though I did have a vague sense that something was "incorrect" about his rifle, now that you mention it. I attributed it to being an altered rifle but perhaps it was rather changes in props given to the Duke.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

What bothers me the most is that they're always pointing the weapons at each other seemingly having no idea that they're handling deadly weapons. I know it's just TV/movies, but I can't help but shout "muzzle!" in my head. Also the way that they always have the gun pointed up in the air as they go around corners. Good for close ups but not so good otherwise.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links