What are your 2A beliefs (150 words or less)

This is a discussion on What are your 2A beliefs (150 words or less) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Self defense is a natural right that the state shall not infringe....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: What are your 2A beliefs (150 words or less)

VIP Member
    Self defense is a natural right that the state shall not infringe.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Only one word....freedom
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

No,no,no its "FREEEEEEEEDOOOOOOOOME".
    HotGuns likes this.

I believe the right to bear arms shall not be infringed. I also believe the designated hitter rule sucks.
    Sarge65, suntzu and SWIll like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

To put it simply I think the 2A gives American citizens the right to own any firearm they choose and use that firearm to protect Life,Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Being a college student I have to listen to a lot of liberal teachers/students preach against gun ownership and how the right to bear arms was only about hunting ( guess they skipped that whole well armed militia part) and it gets pretty old. I believe that if I can legally own a firearm I should be able to modify it however I want! Silencers,cut down barrels, high capacity magazines and whatever else I could dream up. It's not like if I was going to break the law I couldn't do most of those things anyway. I think the class III ban Is insane! 5,000 for a full auto gun from the 70's when It would be possible to buy an AR or AK in full auto for 2,000. I mean think about it how expensive is it to make an AR full out if you have the kit? Not that much more then a semi auto one.

I'm just sick of everyone acting like if I want a full auto AR it's because I'm a crazy person who wants to kill as many people as possible. You can make a fertilizer bomb with directions from the Internet for about 1/8 the cost. I want to own full auto or select fire weapons because our founding fathers believed that as a citizen you should be able to stand against a government that turned into a tyranny. It keeps the government in check. It means that if the people are being put down by there government and that the 1% is deciding that they can tell you how to live then the 99% can stand up and fight against it.

Maybe I'm just a raving lunatic, maybe we really don't need all those freedoms that our bill of rights give us, maybe tje government really does know what's best. I would rather make my own choices and suffer the consequences then have an omnipotent power tell me how to live my life and how to my happy

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Self defence is not only a right, it's a human instinct.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

My brother (whom I love very much so be nice.) is a very liberal college grad who brought up the "tech 9's aren't for hunting deer" argument to me and I just said " The 2nd isnt the right to hunt or even the right to self defense, the founders never thought we'd need something so obvious spelled out for us. No, the 2nd is the right to fight the government, any government or government lackey trying to unlawfully harm us or endanger our rights as human beings." How can we do that if the laws allow them the best weapons out there and Im restricted to weapons that aren't equivalent of the military's, 30 yrs ago.
    (It goes without saying that lethal force is ALWAYS a last option.)
    AngryBadger417 likes this.

Senior Moderator
    The Second Amendment isn't as much about owning guns...as it is about allowing a man to retain his dignity.

Its about having the ability,given the proper tools....to stand against any man or government that does not respect life or property.

Its about not having to bend a knee to another man just because his net worth is more than yours.

Its about not having to give up what you worked hard for,to someone that just wants to take it.

Its about not having to live in fear...because someone else is stronger than you,meaner than you, richer than you or wants to take advantage of you.

Its about knowing that you have a limit to the BS that some politician trys to put on you, and knowing that if push came to shove, that you could prevail, and if not, at least you died trying.

Its about standing strong and doing it with courage...against all odds.

It's really about quality of life.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

freedom to go when and where I please without cowering inside my house afraid of the boogie man.

OD* likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

My beliefs:

I have the right, as a law abiding citizen with no criminal record, to defend myself and my family. A firearm is simply the best method of achieving this goal. If there existing a stun gun that had a reliable method of disabling an attacker without death I would gladly utilize that tool.

I find that that the second amendment (note *amendment*) seems to fit with my personal beliefs and I'm glad for that.

Where I find myself conflicted is the particular weapon that should be legal for me to fulfill this goal. Some say "no limits!" but what about a bazooka? What about a fully automatic 50 caliber gun as found on a tank? What about a tank itself? The 2nd amendment says the right "shall not be infringed", but are there reasonable limits to that?

Overall, I find that the debate is generally not so much about the right itself, but the particular weapon that is reasonable within that right. Sure, there are some that want to get rid of guns entirely, but most citizens are more concerned about the type of weapon itself. I myself find that this is a big grey area. The assault weapons ban is as example of this debate.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Self defence is not only a right, it's a human instinct.
    This is a very thought provoking point. Other countries, such as my home country of England, take that right/instinct away from you. They have made it illegal to defend yourself and illegal to invoke your instinct to protect your life and the life of your family. I find that highly troubling.

In countries such as the UK, the criminals are protected more than the law abiding citizens. You can find yourself getting sued or facing criminal charges from the CRIMINAL that entered your property illegally and posed a threat to your family. This is insane.

It should not take anyone more than 14 words to answer this......

"....... the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Or the short version...
    2nd Amendment
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nwbackpacker View Post
    This is a very thought provoking point. Other countries, such as my home country of England, take that right/instinct away from you. They have made it illegal to defend yourself and illegal to invoke your instinct to protect your life and the life of your family. I find that highly troubling.

In countries such as the UK, the criminals are protected more than the law abiding citizens. You can find yourself getting sued or facing criminal charges from the CRIMINAL that entered your property illegally and posed a threat to your family. This is insane.
    Sounds like the english people need to revolt like we did against England years ago....
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    Sounds like the english people need to revolt like we did against England years ago....
    You will find no argument from me on that proposition. People in England, however, are highly indoctrinated against firearms. Think of it as one big version of Massachusetts. :)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links