Where are the quality pistol cartridge carbines? I see a gap in the market.

This is a discussion on Where are the quality pistol cartridge carbines? I see a gap in the market. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been interested in a compact carbine chambered in 9mm or 40 s&w ever since I shot a Beretta CX4 Storm. I find that there ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Where are the quality pistol cartridge carbines? I see a gap in the market.

Sponsor

I've been interested in a compact carbine chambered in 9mm or 40 s&w ever since I shot a Beretta CX4 Storm. I find that there are very few options on the market.

For me, a pistol caliber carbine should have the magazine in the grip and utilize readily available, standard capacity magazines (15-17 rounds for a flush fit mag). Why? Options that move the magazine ahead of the grip extend the overall length by 3-4 inches. For me, the ability for the carbine to still have a 16" barrel in a compact size is one of the key benefits. Take that away and I'd rather just go for an AR-15. (feel the difference in length between an AR-15 with a 16" barrel and a Sub 2000 or CX4 with a 16" barrel.) The next issue is the magazine, I wouldn't be averse to giving the high point carbine a try, if it wasn't for the low capacity magazine.

Currently, I have the Kel Tec Sub 2000 to fill this role, Its very compact when extended (disappears when folded), uses Glock 17 magazines (good, since I have a G17). The biggest problem is the dirty blow back action. While mine has proven pretty reliable at the range, I don't feel comfortable using it as my go to gun in a defensive situation.

So what am I looking for? Basically for Glock, Smith and Wesson, Springfield, etc to release quality, well designed carbine options that utilize their existing magazines.

So what are you thoughts?

Thanks!
    Clay
    Last edited by SHTFGearLLC; December 4th, 2012 at 07:42 PM.

Sponsor
    Any chance a mod could correct my my misspelling in the title? ha, Should read "pistol cartridge" Thanks!

re: Where are the quality pistol cartidge carbines? I see a gap in the market.

Quote Originally Posted by SHTFGearLLC View Post
    Any chance a mod could correct my my misspelling in the title? ha, Should read "pistol cartridge" Thanks!
    Click on edit, click on go advanced. Change it your own self... Mods are too lazy... Especially SIXTO.
    SHTFGearLLC and C hawk Glock like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Administrator
    As it was requested so has it been done.

Quote Originally Posted by SHTFGearLLC View Post
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Click on edit, click on go advanced. Change it your own self... Mods are too lazy... Especially SIXTO.
    On the contrary... they're busy thinking deep thoughts, as mods should.

Go mods!

keep my Sub 2000 folded up nicely in a computer brief case with Six Smith & Wesson 59 Series 15 round mags. I'm with you on this one....while mine works fine like all my Keltecs, I would
    prefer something a bit more refined. I've been looking at one of these Glock Carbine conversion kits as I have two G17's and a boat load of 33 round Glock mags.
    A 9mm +P out of a carbine length barrel is a decent little round.

MechTech - Home

Bullet1234 likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    I didn't know I could do that! Thanks!
    Clay

I think there is a market for what you are looking for but don't know if it will be filled very quickly.

Like you, I have a Sub 2000 that takes Glock mags. With the 33 rd mags, it makes for a neat package. However if I had to really use a pistol caliber rifle, I much prefer my lever guns in .44 mag and .357 mag. No they don't have interchangeable mags with any pistols, but they are really effective rifles.

Once a higher end manufacturer decides there is enough of a market for what you are looking for, it will be produced. Don't hold your breath though.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I loved the Camp 9 carbines marlin produced a while back. Mine was lost in a house fire. Id think there is still a market for these if Marlin ever wanted to do it again. DR
    zonker1986 likes this.

Another vote for the Mechtech CCU.

I've owned both and it is much more refined than anything KT produces.

Hey, Smith & Wesson did produce a 9mm pistol cartridge carbine. And you missed it?

All forged steel components and a "polymer" stock.

Modern Firearms - Smith & Wesson / S&W Light Rifle Model 1940, Mk.1 and Mk.2 (USA)

You're just 72 years too late.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by ScottM View Post
    Another vote for the Mechtech CCU.

I've owned both and it is much more refined than anything KT produces.
    ....you're being a tease. How does it work? Need more details please.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Strip your pistol. Add CCU, magazine, and ammo.

Shoot repeatedly and hit target.

It's all on their site.

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    I loved the Camp 9 carbines marlin produced a while back. Mine was lost in a house fire. Id think there is still a market for these if Marlin ever wanted to do it again. DR

Yep. Me too. And Ruger discontinued their 9mm and .40SW carbines due to low demand as well. Well, they didn't ask me. I would take one of these in a second if I could find one.

VIP Member
    Do my 1894's in .44 mag and .357 mag count?

Seriously, I for one am dismayed at the dearth offerings in pistol caliber carbines (primarily the 9mm). Given the proliferation of the self defense market, there appears to be a need. Seems like the choices are either a .223 or a 12 gauge (generalizing, I know). Would also be nice to consolidate ammo for both the pistol and the carbine.
    Doodle likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links