Anyone else damaged their hearing from firing one shot?

This is a discussion on Anyone else damaged their hearing from firing one shot? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My one-time ear ringer was an 81mm fired from inside an APC. I managed to not have my ears covered when it went off, and ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Anyone else damaged their hearing from firing one shot?

VIP Member
    My one-time ear ringer was an 81mm fired from inside an APC. I managed to not have my ears covered when it went off, and I have been hearing a high C# (the 20th fret on the top string of a six string guitar) ever since. It isn't bothersome, or always particularly noticeable, but it is always there.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    What did you say, can you speak up
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Recently I went to a new gun store/range and was distracted talking to the owner before going in the actual range part, I forgot to grab ear protection. Didn't realize it until I fired the first shot and wondered why in the world this range was so much LOUDER than my usual one...then it dawned on me, I didn't have ear protection on. Didn't suffer permanent damage that I can tell (although I don't have the world's best hearing already) My ears rang throughout the day only.

Right now I'm dealing with hearing loss in my right ear due to perforating my ear drum Monday morning (not shooting related though) The muffled, clogged, underwater feel and decreased hearing is driving me insane. Should heal in 3-4 weeks on it's own, although I don't think I'd wait months to go to the dr for it.

Good luck to you!!!!

Messed up my hearing pretty good doing convoys and shooting my M4/M9 without ear-pro. What can I say? I was a dumb airmen and I'm paying the price with tinnitus/high-frequency hearing loss.
    Molon Labe

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Ive hunted for nearly 50 years without hearing protection. Al tho mostly with long guns I have fired a few pistols without ear plugs. Handguns are so much louder! When I decided that I had hearing loss was one day I was about 10 yards off the back porch and the wife leans over the rail and says " Are We Getting Our Devorce's?" I said "Huh? I didnt even know we wanted one!"
    To which She said "Ill Do it my self"! and stomps off. At that point the Kids are busting up because they know what she really said was "Are You Going To Feed The Horses?" Keep your ears covered! DR
    pgrass101 likes this.

Re: .45 and 9mm noise levels... Interesting! Thanks guys!

Gav

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar

I was born mostly deaf in my left ear and take hearing protection seriously as I only have one good one. I get a hearing test every year because I work around water chillers which are >80dB and have learned that I have a frequency loss (notch) that is supposedly from loud exposure. Used to shoot .22 and 410 shot without muffs when I was younger. Been to a couple of rock concerts, but the worst noise was when they detonated a balloon with hydrogen in chemistry class. That was a sharp pain that made me reflexively cover my ears.

I recently switched my bedside gun from a 12 gauge to an AR .223. Now I am thinking I should go back to the shotty, if for nothing more than to save my ears. Could you imagine a .223 indoors w/no protection??!!

Food for thought.....
    Student of the Gun; a beginner once, a student for life.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepnheat View Post
    I recently switched my bedside gun from a 12 gauge to an AR .223. Now I am thinking I should go back to the shotty, if for nothing more than to save my ears. Could you imagine a .223 indoors w/no protection??!!

Food for thought.....
    To me they are loud in open areas with earplugs....I can't imagine.

noway - I feel you pain, I was born totally deaf in my left ear. Most people think I'm kinda crazy about noise levels and stuff but it's one of those things you look at completely different when you don't have it.

Goose
    "These days I go down to Wal-Mart and they sell 'em in the back.
    Some people wanna take 'em away, why don't you go bust them boys that's sellin' crack.
    Guns, whether Remingtons 'er Glocks.
    Come on man it ain't like I'm a slingin' 'em on the block." - Justin Moore

.357 Magnum out of a Taurus 669 6" stainless revolver.....under a metal tin roof...and metal tin walls....with muffs hanging around my neck. 20 years later I still have ringing in my left ear
    and have trouble hearing low conversation out of my right.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepnheat View Post

Food for thought.....
    With the auditory exclusion you will likely experience during the real deal, you probably won't even notice.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Well I guess it is true that any shot fired without protection damages hearig a little. I've shot stuff. Store hunting, 20 ga and 308, with no noticeable effects. This is way different. I'm aware it's tinnitus and I'll likely hear it for the rest of my life.

Was at a range where the guy next to me fired a 338 Win Mag.......lost the hearing in my right ear for a week.

Distinguished Member
    I recently began shooting a .45. It seemed louder to me than my 9mm I had fired just moments earlier. I'll have to try it again and really compare the noise levels.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My ears ring too loudly to hear any gunshot.
    GunsAndViolince likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links