Question about jury duty

Question about jury duty

This is a discussion on Question about jury duty within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Mods: I have no idea where to put this, so I put it in the same category as the "Self Defense Juror" thread, move it ...

Thread: Question about jury duty

Question about jury duty

Mods: I have no idea where to put this, so I put it in the same category as the "Self Defense Juror" thread, move it please if need be.

I know that jury duty is randomly chosen by registered voter lists or by tax records, but is it possible to sign up? I know that most people try to get out of it, but I would like to see how it works. I have an interest in all facets of law enforcment.

I am not trying to get onto any particular jury to get a friend off or something crazy like that. I just think it would be an interesting experience. I'm sure once I have done it I will wish I haden't but for now it is a curious thing to me.

Is there a way to sign up? Or fast track yourself in the "random" list?

I am in Pa if it makes a difference.

Give them a call and ask, in Mi no it is a lottery done by voter registration, and you are right it is a very interesting and educational experience, one worth taking the time for.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Mighty refreshing to see someone who takes his responsibilities seriously! Wish more folks would feel as you do - jury duty is not a burden, it's a responsibility, and one which we all need to fulfill. Can't complain about the court system if you don't participate!

If see that you're from PA, so I did a little checking on the internet. It's my guess that good starting places for you would be:

1. The clerk of the Common-Pleas court for for your county

Contact Info: http://www.courts.state.pa.us/index/...ommonPleas.asp

2. The clerk ofr the federal district court that serves your hometown

Contact Info:
    http://www.uscourts.gov/jury/welcomejuror.html

Best,
    Jon
    "You may not know it, but there's things that gnaw at a man worse than dyin'."

Charles Travis Postlewaite, 1882

when i had jury duty the orientation video said you can request to be called for jury duty once every 3 or 5 years or however often they can call you. I'm in NY state. I'd call and find out. Good chance your location works the same.

yes i was ON the jury. It was a murder trial that ended in a mistrial because two of my idiot co-jurors looked up the definition of "reasonable doubt" on the internet after the first day of deliberations.

Just curious, why would that mistrial?

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by djturnz View Post
    Just curious, why would that mistrial?
    Jurors are not supposed to be doing their own research, but rather are constrained to weigh the facts as presented in court.

The judge would have instructed them on the legal meaning of "reasonable doubt" when he instructed them before deliberations, or they could have asked for a definition from the judge.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    Jurors are not supposed to be doing their own research, but rather are constrained to weigh the facts as presented in court.

The judge would have instructed them on the legal meaning of "reasonable doubt" when he instructed them before deliberations, or they could have asked for a definition from the judge.

Matt
    exactly. It has to be the judge's explanation of reasonable doubt as given in that particular trial.

He got off in his second trial. I have no faith in our justice system. He was guilty as hell. They didnt allow so much stuff in the trial its not even funny. Nothing like the courts protecting the criminals more than the innocent.

here's the case news:
    http://www.10nbc.com/index.asp?templ...story_id=19012
    http://www.10nbc.com/index.asp?templ...story_id=19891
    http://www.10nbc.com/index.asp?templ...story_id=19968

An interesting website for anybody chosen for or considering jury duty:
    www.fija.org (Fully Informed Jury Association)

A benefit of sitting on a jury is that you learn which attorneys you want & which you don't want if you're charged with a crime.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    I can respect a guy for being willing to serve on a jury. Unfortunately, I don't have to much advise on how to get on a jury.

I was on one jury once it was pretty interesting, I would serve again. I was called again this last Spring. I'm guessing the lawyers didn't want me because of my education, job, and previous experience with the criminal justice system. Too bad because the State would have paid me my wages for jury duty, and I would be serving my state a little different.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    I don't think I'm edjamacated enough to be on a jury. Everytime I show up they .

Sponsored Links