Firearm parts to have on hand for an extended SHTF scenario?

This is a discussion on Firearm parts to have on hand for an extended SHTF scenario? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Where is a good site to order Ruger recoil springs and/or guiding rods?...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Firearm parts to have on hand for an extended SHTF scenario?

Where is a good site to order Ruger recoil springs and/or guiding rods?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Nothing wrong with having critical spare parts.

In thinking about SHTF, a supporting idea is "guns of three's". For instance, have on-hand 3 AK's, identical enough so you can switch parts and/or cannibalize if necessary.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Nothing wrong with having critical spare parts.

In thinking about SHTF, a supporting idea is "guns of three's". For instance, have on-hand 3 AK's, identical enough so you can switch parts and/or cannibalize if necessary.
    Kind of my plan but 3 a bit low.
    ppkheat likes this.

Springs come to mind.

Parts are on hand to keep M1, M1 Carbine, AR 15 and to a lesser extent the M1A going.

For some reason I'm heavily invested in 1903 Springfield parts. A complete 1903 Springfield could be built on a bare receiver kept on hand and there are at least 3 more complete '03 parts sets available to keep the rifles going.

A few M1917 Enfield small parts are available.

Some SMLE spares are kept.

Spare parts for 1911s are on hand including everything needed to build a pistol except a frame.

Spare main spring, hammer and trigger assemblies are available for Smith & Wesson K-Frame revolvers but could rob from other revolvers to keep main revolver going.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I have no idea, but you can order them on line easy enough

For ANY gun springs start with Wolff at Wolff Gunsprings - Firearm Springs for Semi-Auto Pistols, Revolvers, Rifles, & Shotguns . They carry darn near everything including + or - tensions.
    mcp1810 and Caertaker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    For ANY gun springs start with Wolff at Wolff Gunsprings - Firearm Springs for Semi-Auto Pistols, Revolvers, Rifles, & Shotguns . They carry darn near everything including + or - tensions.
    Wolff springs rock! I have recoil springs and main springs from them for my Sigs. Used one of their P225 mag springs to make a Pro-mag functional.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

here is a brownells-brand AR parts kit. am i correct when i see only one retaining pin in this?

AR-15/M16 PARTS KIT | Brownells

will this be decent quality?

how likely is it for a firing pin to go bad on an m4/ar-15? something to keep a backup of or something not to worry about?

IMO,if you are getting a spare of critical parts, I would get a spare firing pin, not that they are likely to go bad, or maybe a whole BCG to carry in your bag
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

i'll get the 20$ colt firing pin over the 10$ dpms. probably worth the xtra 10, huh?

For semi-autos, plenty of mags and extra springs. Wolff if available.

Read the following on keeping an AR running. While Crane is mentioned, BCM (Bravo Company) makes top of the line parts.

http://www.defensereview.com/the-big...m4-unreliable/

For ARs, it's good to have a spare, entire BCG IMHO. I prefer BCM (Bravo Company) brand and consider them the best, but they're out at the moment.

BCM Bolt Carrier Group MPI Auto M16

Not a bad idea to keep some spare extractor spring kits and they're cheap:

BCM Extractor Spring Uprade Kit

Or extractor kit:

BCM SOPMOD Bolt Upgrade Rebuild Kit

For all the other springs, the following kit has pretty much everything you'd need:

DPMS Ultimate Repair Kit AR-15

And a buffer spring:

Wolff Extra Power Buffer Spring AR-15 Carbine

Extra AR mag springs (30 round):

Wolff Mag Spring AR-15 30-Round Extra Power Package of 3

For the 870, probably just a magazine spring:

Remington Mag Spring Police Remington 870 12 12 Ga Mag

As for a pistol, mainly recoil springs and extractor springs. I didn't know what you had so didn't know what to look for. If you have a Beretta 92FS, then add an extra locking block.

ok. i'm just learning about all this. what is an O ring and an extractor spring?

Administrator
    I have a parts kit for one Galil that has all parts save for the receiver. I don't expect to really need them though since that particular Galil in 5.56 is already extremely overbuilt down to all springs and internals since the rifle was originally built to be a fully automatic squad weapon.

For my 1911s I can always pop one apart and swap parts if I needed to.

As far as most spare parts are concerned you can be sure that whatever part eventually breaks won't be among the ones that you have on hand.
    pgrass101 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post

As far as most spare parts are concerned you can be sure that whatever part eventually breaks won't be among the ones that you have on hand.
    this is what i'm afraid of

For my ARs, I have a complete bolt carrier group, plus pins, gas rings and a buffer spring. That's probably enough to keep the ARs chugging along for 10K rounds each. AR mags are expendable; by the time they need new springs or followers, the feed lips are spread or they have other problems, so I have a least a dozen for each gun that range from new to 'not worn out yet.'

For pistols, a spring set (firing pin, recoil and mag spring) should be adequate.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links