Firearm parts to have on hand for an extended SHTF scenario? - Page 3

Firearm parts to have on hand for an extended SHTF scenario?

This is a discussion on Firearm parts to have on hand for an extended SHTF scenario? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by gasmitty For my ARs, I have a complete bolt carrier group, plus pins, gas rings and a buffer spring. That's probably enough ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Firearm parts to have on hand for an extended SHTF scenario?

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    For my ARs, I have a complete bolt carrier group, plus pins, gas rings and a buffer spring. That's probably enough to keep the ARs chugging along for 10K rounds each. AR mags are expendable; by the time they need new springs or followers, the feed lips are spread or they have other problems, so I have a least a dozen for each gun that range from new to 'not worn out yet.'

For pistols, a spring set (firing pin, recoil and mag spring) should be adequate.
    so you seriously think the whole bold carrier group and buffer spring needs to be replaced at 10k rounds?

Quote Originally Posted by AdBro View Post
    how likely is it for a firing pin to go bad on an m4/ar-15? something to keep a backup of or something not to worry about?
    If you forget the firing pin retaining pin and the firing pin gets out of position and you pull the trigger you can bend it. Spare parts are nice to have.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by AdBro View Post
    so you seriously think the whole bold carrier group and buffer spring needs to be replaced at 10k rounds?
    The BCG should last longer than that, but I'm just ready for "what ifs." When you head off for training courses or other hard use, it's way faster to grab a spare BCG than it is to dissect and repair the one that's down. But this way I have a fresh bolt, firing pin, extractor, and a well-staked gas key ready to go.

Buffer spring, I'm not so sure. Both my ARs are mid-lengths which don't beat up the buffer spring as much as the shorties do. My older one is around 7000 rounds now and it's doing well on its original everything.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    The BCG should last longer than that, but I'm just ready for "what ifs." When you head off for training courses or other hard use, it's way faster to grab a spare BCG than it is to dissect and repair the one that's down. But this way I have a fresh bolt, firing pin, extractor, and a well-staked gas key ready to go.

Buffer spring, I'm not so sure. Both my ARs are mid-lengths which don't beat up the buffer spring as much as the shorties do. My older one is around 7000 rounds now and it's doing well on its original everything.
    how much does an entire BCG cost?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links