?? "40% of all gun purchases do not require any background check??"--Bob Costas

This is a discussion on ?? "40% of all gun purchases do not require any background check??"--Bob Costas within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Brad426 Not watching it, but he must be referring to the "gun show loophole"? There is NO gun show loophole.... that's a ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: ?? "40% of all gun purchases do not require any background check??"--Bob Costas

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Not watching it, but he must be referring to the "gun show loophole"?
    There is NO gun show loophole.... that's a fabrication of the Brady Bunch, please don't give credence to it like it really exist.

No 'dealer' can sell a gun to you without a NICS check, with only one exception and that requires a background check as well.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Why do we CARE what the hell Bob Costas says or thinks?
    Because he's got a microphone and a bully pulpit. With that, he can influence vast numbers of minds. For that reason, alone, we should care at least a little, particularly with so little gap on the SCOTUS between victory and defeat on RKBA-related issues.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

So Bob says to himself.. "what would sound like a "shocking" percentage to use for my statement?"

Pssssstttttttt, 40% sounds like a good number..... Don't worry Bob the "sheep" in America will not dispute it because you are a celebrity and don't lie......

How about background checks violate the 2nd amendment...... "....shall not be infringed."
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Yep ccw9mm, I understand what he's got. But (IMHO) Brittany Spears has both of those things as well. Yet I don't see the gun world sweating & wringing their hands in worry over the next thing she's gonna' say about guns. I listened to BC's shallow arguments & now he's just trying to justify a flippant, non-sports related comment under an increasingly heavy barrage of scrutiny with defensive debate & voodoo statistics. His whole "guns make violence too easy to perpetrate" is easily countered by "guns are the easiest protection AGAINST that same violence". It's like listening to Costas' views on Early Vatican History or Fractal Geometry as related to Sub-Polar Weather Patterns. The more we make of this, the more juice HE HAS on the subject!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

?? "40% of all gun purchases do not require any background check??"--Bob Costas
    I know where he got that statistic - The same place Hillary Clinton and Barak Obama got the "90% of the guns in Mexico come from the US" statistic.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Because he's got a microphone and a bully pulpit.
    Yep ccw9mm, I understand what he's got. But (IMHO) Brittany Spears has both of those things as well.
    Yeah, but she's also got a bubble head and a lengthy history of train wrecks. Unsurprising she's ignored on issues of any relevance.

Costas and those like him, OTOH, are in positions of relative respect and influence ... anchors and interviewers/-ees on news broadcasts and the like. Am not defending him in the least. And I partly agree with you that the fueling of the controversy helps him stay top-of-mind with people. But the mere fact he's making such statements of such political import on widely-viewed programming means he's reaching a lot of people who are far more influential (as voters) than pre-teens infatuated with mentally-unstable T&A.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

"One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Gang bangers acquire a 100% of their guns without background checks.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

My point is that, societally, we are confusing famous with infamous, eloquent with intelligent & well-known with well-respcted. Our media-driven, malformed spheres of influence no longer reflect any individual ability to appropriately attribute weight to the comments (or actions) of popcorn farts. A hat doesn't make you a cowboy. A Harley doesn't make you a biker. And a seat in the broadcast booth of a ballgame doesn't make your opinion on 2nd Amendment issues worth one additional second of related airtime. Unless, of course, your comments run parallel to the liberal, leftist, world-view of the major media outlets. Then, you're instantly a pundit, social pioneer & Noble Peace Prize Nominee. And any contrasting views are clearly the product of a bygone era when Americans naively held to their guns & bibles.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

94.7% of statistics are made up on the spot.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

A hat doesn't make you a cowboy. A Harley doesn't make you a biker. And a seat in the broadcast booth of a ballgame doesn't make your opinion on 2nd Amendment issues worth one additional second of related airtime.
    Sure, but the influencing potential is very real nonetheless. Which was the point I was making. Nothing more. The mere fact he's comparatively articulate, educated (exposed to much), what he's going to say will strike many people. Particularly when so very many have lost the basic ability to think critically.

Agreed, those who appreciate what's being said (and merely blustered about) will see it for what it is: BS not worthy of our time. Though, in spite of all that, the influencing potential makes it worth our time, because that potential is very real. If for no other reason than to help expose it for the liberty-hating BS it is.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

It is time for people to be held responsible for; THEIR OWN ACTIONS!!

Stop blaming the guns for the crime, and start punishing the hand it was in at the time!!

Besides they have it all wrong, guns don't kill people.....boolits do

VIP Member
    Here's a question - suppose it's true that 40% of gun sales do not require a background check.

So what?

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    Here's a question - suppose it's true that 40% of gun sales do not require a background check.

So what?
    Well, if people really do care, then all swap meets, farmers markets, and garage sells will have to come to an end.

When I explained that to someone they told me I'm stupid. My response, how is a person privately selling a chicken, some vegetables, or some private piece of artwork any different than selling a firearm? I never got a response.

I bought my Remington 1911 R1 from a private owner that had a booth set up at the Tulsa Gun Show and did not do a background check. It was sweet, I thought I was going to have to wait a week or so before I would get it, but I took it home the same day...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links