?? "40% of all gun purchases do not require any background check??"--Bob Costas

This is a discussion on ?? "40% of all gun purchases do not require any background check??"--Bob Costas within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am just now watching Bill O'Reilly who is having a segment with Bob Costas. Bob Costas just stated: "40% of gun purchases in the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: ?? "40% of all gun purchases do not require any background check??"--Bob Costas

I am just now watching Bill O'Reilly who is having a segment with Bob Costas.

Bob Costas just stated: "40% of gun purchases in the USA do not require any background check."

Whenever I have purchased any of my guns in Colorado, I have had to go through a background check.

Does this differ for any of you in other states??
    Last edited by .45acpguy; December 5th, 2012 at 08:10 PM. Reason: spelling error

Not watching it, but he must be referring to the "gun show loophole"?
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

When I buy at a gun show in Texas I have to have a background check. I'm sure there are individual sellers and buyers but those seem limited and small in number. Not 40%.

Maybe he's referring to the criminals. ;).

Private party transfers don't always require a background check especially for long guns.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

VIP Member
    Perhaps face to face private sales? I've bought a lot of guns that way. The Waffle House parking lot clandestine meet of one pudgy middle-aged guy meeting another pudgy middle-aged guy for a gun purchase over lunch. Very nefarious and scary stuff, I tell you. Lucky I have nerves of steel.

Re: ?? "40% of all gun purchases do not require any background check??"--Bob Costas

Rhetoric. Buying from a retailer requires a background check - even ones at gun shows. In Texas, there's no gun registration, so person-to-person sales aren't tracked unless the transfer is done through a FFL (which would require a background check). Also in Texas, holders of a current CHL can bypass the background check due to the check that must be passed prior to the license being issued. Other states are different, but between the situations that require a check & gaps in data from places that don't register ownership, there's no way that anyone could attach a reliable figure.

Sent from my GS 3 using Tapatalk 2

No no, if someone with an actual store sells at a gun show, regardless of the state, they have to do an background check in accordance with state law as if they are in their establishment.

More importantly, private sales are just that, private. There is no way to track them. Any number given, is purely made up. I'm 100% certain that the 40% figure is all BS.
    msgt/ret likes this.

40% are done with no back ground check.

The remaining 60% were lost in a terrible boating accident.
    zacii and Cbuffett556 like this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

This is just a rhetorical attack on one of the few freedoms that gun owners still enjoy; private transactions.

If they can close that door, then they are just a hair's breadth from registration. And we all know what that leads to.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Alternatives to NICS

There are several alternatives to the NICS background check. For example, some state permits are accepted by the Feds as alternatives to the check. See ATF Online - Firearms - Brady Law / NICS - Permit Chart. Anyone with a C&R is exempt on qualified firearms, which can be shipped directly to the C&R holder. Purchases from CMP don't require checks, and can also be shipped directly to the buyer. All of these would be included in any statistic of transfers without checks.

The statistic is misleading.

John W in SC

40%...He pulled that right out of his....thin air, he pulled that right out of thin air.
    pittypat21 and Eagleks like this.

He got that from the same place he got the response that if the Guy hadn't of had a gun he wouldn't of killed his girlfriend,because strangulation,stabbing,drowning,beating with a hammer/baseball bat,brick/fists would have never been an alternative if he didn't have a gun
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics.

The problem with Bob Costas' 40% comment is that 97.58% of the horse crap spewed by Sports Broadcast celebrities is believed by 73.91% of this country's obviously ignorant population. Why do we CARE what the hell Bob Costas says or thinks? What qualifications does he have to sway ANYONE'S opinion on Domestic Gun Issues? He's a New York born, Syracuse University dropout, Sports Broadcaster. Let's call Rosie O'Donnell & see what HER take on all this might be?!? Now THERE'S an opinion maker.
    darbo, Eagleks and msgt/ret like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Here in Nevada as long as the buyer is a Nevada resident I can sell with no paperwork whatsoever. Also here as a CCP person there is no background check. The law assumes that the CCP background check is much more comprehensive. Did that murdering football player (Belcher sp?) have a CCP?
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links