Defensive Carry banner

Are guns a good investment?

7K views 32 replies 28 participants last post by  ANGLICO 
#1 ·
I bought another gun today, a Ruger Mini-14. Thanks to employee discounts, at $533, I couldn't pass it up. When I mentioned it to a relative, she questioned my sanity. "What do you need with another gun?"

I went on the defensive. "It's an investment. I can always get my money back."

"I buy quality stuff. The truth is, the worse the economy gets..the more chaoctic the world gets, I'm betting that I can convert my guns into cash quicker than you can convert gold coins."

#5 ·
I wouldn't consider buying most mass produced guns an investment. You can get a lot of use out of a glock and sell it for about what you paid for it, but you sure aren't making anything on it. They're good tools, though.

On the other hand, certain collectible items (cars, guns, watches, paintings, or anything rare) can be very profitable investments if you know what you're doing. I never really met anybody who did that thing professionally, but I do watch Pawn Stars, and they seem to be very well off. For instance, you could have bought a late 60's GTO in the 90's and sold it for twice, maybe three times as much in the mid 2000's.

#6 ·
When the Zombie Apocalypse comes, there isn't anything that's going to be more valuable than guns and ammunition. :image035:

#9 ·
I tell myself that they are a good investment, but that has just been self deception. For example, I bought an AK47 underfolder a month before the election. It had never been shot, but was selling as a "used" gun for $500 because some guy traded it. Now prices on Gun Broker are all in the $800-$1000 range. But I like the gun a lot, and to generate a gain I would have to sell it.

Guns are only a good investment if you can stand to leave it in the box and then sell it after a while.

#10 ·
A good investment. No. Not if you are trying to make money or earn on your investment. Are they readily turned into cash or bartered for something else? Yes.

I have only ever sold one gun and that was to a family member. Usually if I purchase a gun, or anything else for that matter, I plan on keeping it until it is worn out and essentially useless. However with most guns, that point will never be reached if they are maintained properly.

Do I worry about "loosing" money on guns. No not really, not like most other things you purchase. If you look at the value of your autos, household goods, electronics, or even other tools or toys you might buy, then guns are a much better "investment" if you want to call it that than many other things you could purchase with those same dollars.

#13 ·
Rare collectibles, such as one of the two .45 ACP Lugers, might be a good investment. Collecting stacks of guns and piles of ammo is survival. Nothing is worth more (or less) than what you get for it.

#14 ·
First when dealing with others ,of course you don't need another gun it is not a need but a want that stops that.
As far as investment if you want to tell yourself that works for me.
If you buy right and never fire them and things keep going you may turn a buck. But just for the sake of discussion . New Brady bill of some kind. SC goes with us 1/2 way and says it ok to ban stuff but what they already have is grandfathered. But there is a catch you can't sell them. There goes your investment.
Can't happen you say, take a look at executive orders in the last 3 1/2 years. It can
Buy a weapon because you want it . The AK's and SKS I have had for 30 years have tripled what they cost but I won't be here for another 30.

#15 ·
I consider them a good investment, thankfully so does my woman. But I also consider guns, shooting and growing my collection - a hobby. I could (really want to) go off the deep end and buy everything I want and consider it an "investment", but a safe full of guns with an empty checking account isn't gonna do me any good for my everyday life, lol.

#17 ·
Are guns a good investment??? Almost nothing you will ever buy at retail prices from a retail store will be a good investment.
You start out with the disadvantage that both the wholesaler and the retailer need to make a living, so the cost
of the item to you is way above the actual value of the item. This true for just about everything you might ever purchase.

Some things retain value better than others; scarcity or uniqueness may once in awhile play to your advantage, but
usually you will lose if you are starting out with a retail purchase. YMMV.

#18 ·
I think they are valuable on many levels - and it's better to have too many than too few. I don't "need" to bear arms - but if I ever do, and I haven't "kept" them - it won't even be an option. It's an investment in freedom. I don't expect or plan to ever sell any of the guns I own in a crisis situation - what would I sell them for? Cash? Gold? They are more valuable than those since they are actually useful (assuming you have ammunition for them).

As for "investing" in guns so that when you run low on cash you can quickly sell a gun at any gun store - no. They are a terrible "investment". That is just wishful thinking and irresponsible spending. You're better off with money in the bank earning interest - at a minimum.

Austin

#19 ·
It's an investment like collecting rare art is. If you really know what you're doing, you can probably flip them and make some money. However, the vast majority aren't going to be able to pull that off, and it would require quite a bit of knowledge of surplus and older weapons for you to really make headway on that front. So, for your average person....no, it's not an investment. It's a great way to protect your other metallic investments though (silver and gold).

#21 ·
They can be a good financial investment, sometimes. If you are careful. Whenever I buy a gun it's always with resale options in mind. Not only can it hold its value, but how well of a market is there for such firearm? A person may invest 4 or 5 figures into a collector's edition firearm, but the market may not be there to turn around and sell it, perhaps.

Another investment aspect of it is inflation. I'll give you case in point. My father bought a Model 70 30-06, in 1956. He paid $100 for it. Now, because of the demand for pre-64 Winchester actions coupled with inflation, that rifle is worth $500 well used. If it was in pristine condition, it would fetch even more.

However, as mentioned in the previous posts, they have a value beyond monetary. So, it's an investment on different levels.

#22 ·
If you are talking about purchasing firearms as an investment to turn a future profit then certainly some firearm values have increased astronomically in value.

If say you would have bought up all of the COLT Six Shooters & vintage 1911s back when nobody really wanted them you would be an incredibly wealthy man these days.

If you would have purchased a few Colt Pythons & DIRTY HARRY wheelies and kept them pristine/NEW IN BOX - you would be making a nice profit right now.

I wish that I would have bought 6 more GALIL rifles back when they were first imported by Magnum Research because they have more than tripled in value. Original GALIL Empty Cardboard Rifle Boxes are fetching $200.00 these days. :blink:

Had you run all around Pennsylvania, Ohio, & West Virginia 30 or so years ago and bought up all of the flintlock Pennsylvania rifles out of barns and out of country folks attics you could own your own mansion in Hawaii right now. :yup:

The "trick' is knowing what to buy coupled with a willingness to hold onto them.

If you are talking about having extra firearms to sell in a true nationwide TEOTWAWKI/SHTF environment then probably anything that expels a projectile will be worth something but, so will many other things.

#23 ·
About 15 years ago I bought a Colt Python 4" for $500 (Less than 50 down the pipe) because of the sweet trigger. I new nothing about Pythons at the time. Comparing it with the ones that sell today, it has been a great investment! I won't ever see a return because I propably will never sell it.

#26 ·
My acquisitions have always tended to "go down the black hole," never to be offered on the market but recent actual sales of similar examples are encouraging. Blue steel and walnut from quality manufacturers commands much more respect than aluminum alloy and plastic at this point in time.

Knowledge about the firearms chosen for investment and their market would benefit. Condition is everything.

Luck and time plays a large role.

For instance. I purchased what appeared to be a run-of-the-mill Model 1917 Enfield in nice condition to plug a hole in a budding U.S. military arms collection back in 1976. Gave $75 for the rifle which was no bargain at the time. Fast forward to today. Turns out that by accident I managed to purchase an original unmolested rifle with all matching parts which never had gone through an arsenal rehabilitation program. Most 1917 Enfields extant have been Parkerized, had parts mixed and matched, restocked with refinished wood having additional post World War I arsenal overhaul markings. Worse yet are the "garage restored" Model 1917s lurking at gun shows that have been put together by Bubba and there are a lot of those seen these days. This one is just as it left the Remington plant at Eddystone, Pennsylvania in September of 1918. It would be of interest to an advanced U.S. military collector and valued at perhaps ten times it's original hang tag price when I got it. Until I "bought the book" only a couple of years back and studied up on the it, I attached no special significance to the rifle and it's condition attributes.

And it only took 36 years. Depends on how one defines a "good" investment.

#27 ·
Hard to say guns are "good as gold"........with a government that can start drying up ammo with an executive order (remember the '90's?), seems like ammo is a better investment. Without the ammo, all you have is a nice club or paperweight. The ammo is a consumable product, gun is not. In a pinch, ammo is the limiting factor, thus the more valuable commodity. Just a thought....

#30 ·
Would not call them an investment as investment means someday it will need to be sold.
I would phase it as a necessity.
As for ammo if I sold what I have stashed around I could buy a new car and bike cash. But aint selling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.