Are guns a good investment?

This is a discussion on Are guns a good investment? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I bought another gun today, a Ruger Mini-14. Thanks to employee discounts, at $533, I couldn't pass it up. When I mentioned it to a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Are guns a good investment?

I bought another gun today, a Ruger Mini-14. Thanks to employee discounts, at $533, I couldn't pass it up. When I mentioned it to a relative, she questioned my sanity. "What do you need with another gun?"

I went on the defensive. "It's an investment. I can always get my money back."

"I buy quality stuff. The truth is, the worse the economy gets..the more chaoctic the world gets, I'm betting that I can convert my guns into cash quicker than you can convert gold coins."
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

2. Remove Ads

I see gun purchases as an investment. I would much rather buy firearms than blow my money on other crap.

Sounds about right.

I look at them as a hobby or interest that I don't have to worry about loosing money on. I've bought and sold many guns this year and never lost a dime on doing it. There aren't many things you can do that with.

I wouldn't consider buying most mass produced guns an investment. You can get a lot of use out of a glock and sell it for about what you paid for it, but you sure aren't making anything on it. They're good tools, though.

On the other hand, certain collectible items (cars, guns, watches, paintings, or anything rare) can be very profitable investments if you know what you're doing. I never really met anybody who did that thing professionally, but I do watch Pawn Stars, and they seem to be very well off. For instance, you could have bought a late 60's GTO in the 90's and sold it for twice, maybe three times as much in the mid 2000's.

When the Zombie Apocalypse comes, there isn't anything that's going to be more valuable than guns and ammunition.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Most of them seem to hold their value very well compared to most other things you could be buying.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    When the Zombie Apocalypse comes, there isn't anything that's going to be more valuable than guns and ammunition.
    Also this ^^^

But really, potable water will be the most valuable commodity in any disaster

I tell myself that they are a good investment, but that has just been self deception. For example, I bought an AK47 underfolder a month before the election. It had never been shot, but was selling as a "used" gun for $500 because some guy traded it. Now prices on Gun Broker are all in the $800-$1000 range. But I like the gun a lot, and to generate a gain I would have to sell it.

Guns are only a good investment if you can stand to leave it in the box and then sell it after a while.
    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine

A good investment. No. Not if you are trying to make money or earn on your investment. Are they readily turned into cash or bartered for something else? Yes.

I have only ever sold one gun and that was to a family member. Usually if I purchase a gun, or anything else for that matter, I plan on keeping it until it is worn out and essentially useless. However with most guns, that point will never be reached if they are maintained properly.

Do I worry about "loosing" money on guns. No not really, not like most other things you purchase. If you look at the value of your autos, household goods, electronics, or even other tools or toys you might buy, then guns are a much better "investment" if you want to call it that than many other things you could purchase with those same dollars.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    Most of them seem to hold their value very well compared to most other things you could be buying.
    That's my thought. I don't buy plastic. I buy stuff that interests me. However, when I got to thinking about it, other than a trunkload of drugs, what else can you convert into cash in a hurry?
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    A good investment. No. Not if you are trying to make money or earn on your investment. Are they readily turned into cash or bartered for something else? Yes.

I have only ever sold one gun and that was to a family member. Usually if I purchase a gun, or anything else for that matter, I plan on keeping it until it is worn out and essentially useless. However with most guns, that point will never be reached if they are maintained properly.

Do I worry about "loosing" money on guns. No not really, not like most other things you purchase. If you look at the value of your autos, household goods, electronics, or even other tools or toys you might buy, then guns are a much better "investment" if you want to call it that than many other things you could purchase with those same dollars.

Thanks. Sorry I missed your post before I shot my last one in there. You are correct and your post more accurately conveys my thoughts. Thanks.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Rare collectibles, such as one of the two .45 ACP Lugers, might be a good investment. Collecting stacks of guns and piles of ammo is survival. Nothing is worth more (or less) than what you get for it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

First when dealing with others ,of course you don't need another gun it is not a need but a want that stops that.
    As far as investment if you want to tell yourself that works for me.
    If you buy right and never fire them and things keep going you may turn a buck. But just for the sake of discussion . New Brady bill of some kind. SC goes with us 1/2 way and says it ok to ban stuff but what they already have is grandfathered. But there is a catch you can't sell them. There goes your investment.
    Can't happen you say, take a look at executive orders in the last 3 1/2 years. It can
    Buy a weapon because you want it . The AK's and SKS I have had for 30 years have tripled what they cost but I won't be here for another 30.

Distinguished Member
    I consider them a good investment, thankfully so does my woman. But I also consider guns, shooting and growing my collection - a hobby. I could (really want to) go off the deep end and buy everything I want and consider it an "investment", but a safe full of guns with an empty checking account isn't gonna do me any good for my everyday life, lol.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links