Kahr CW45 converted to .38 super

This is a discussion on Kahr CW45 converted to .38 super within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Let me apologize ahead of time if I've posted in the wrong section. This forum seemed like the best fit. But if it does need ...

Thread: Kahr CW45 converted to .38 super

Kahr CW45 converted to .38 super

Let me apologize ahead of time if I've posted in the wrong section. This forum seemed like the best fit. But if it does need to be moved, many thanks to the Mods for your help and patience.

I was hoping to borrow the collective knowledge of the site to determine what it would take to convert a Kahr CW45 to 38 super. I was just trying to imagine my ideal CC firearm and was wondering if this would be possible. I think the Kahr's dimensions are perfect for carry (IMO) and I felt like the .38 super would allow a slightly higher capacity while providing a little more "oomph " than the 9mm. I also imagine a slightly extended barrel to squeeze a little more performance out of the 38 (its my experience that barrel length has little effect on concealability).

I realize that firearms are built around specific cartridges with functions and tolerances designed around, and relevant to those calibers. I know gun models, for the most part aren't just empty shells waiting to be filled with whatever cartridges you can stuff inside. However I also know 1911's are often converted from .45 ACP to .38 super. So I thought maybe it would be possible.

Anyway I'd really be interested to know how it could be done and what it would take or even why it WOULDN'T work if that were the case. I would also be interested in peoples thoughts on why it would be a bad idea or not worth the time and effort even it were possible.

Thanks for your time. I'm excited to hear what you think.

Happy holidays!

Bricks

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    It could be done, but I'd expect to need (besides the barrel), new magazine, ejector, maybe extractor, firing pin and probably have to address feed problems (all that is based on what you need to change on a 1911 to get 38 Super to work). Other than that, piece of cake.

But I like the idea of another 38 Super, particularly as a CCW.

It would need a 9mm slide assy + .38 Super barrel + custom magazines at a minimum for parts then add a bunch of gunsmithing to make it all function.
    1911s come from the factory in .38 Super so parts are readily available and the engineering has already been done. You can fit a 9mm or. 38 Super slide assy with the proper barrel on a. 45acp 1911 frame and be good to go, just order some mags. Much easier than trying to do it from scratch with a gun that was never offered in that caliber.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

VIP Member
    A friend was just complaining last weekend about how there ought to be more offerings in .38 Super, especially in a more compact frame than a 1911.

Sorry, I can't help you with your gunsmithing question. Good luck with it though.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Quote Originally Posted by Bricks View Post
    I felt like the .38 super would allow a slightly higher capacity while providing a little more "oomph " than the 9mm.
    Bricks,

Have you ever fired a 38 super pistol? It has more than just a little "oomph" over a 9mm! I have no clue if your particular gun can be converted, but I wouldn't carry a conversion gun as my primary.

Good luck!

VIP Member
    Anything is possible. The real question is, do you have the money it will cost for the conversion? Your not going to just order the parts and put them in. The biggest cost will be the barrel. My guess is it will have to be specially made for the gun.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Much easier to step up to a 357 Sig. Available in several options about the same size for far less money than it would take to convert your Kahr...
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    As much as I'd loved to have a 1911 in .38 Super, with the advancement in 9mm +P and +P+ the gap in power has all but closed in commercial ammunition. Throw in the .357 Sig and .357 Mag and there's no real reason for any gun maker to continue the .38 Super (except for export to Mexico and the like).

I think the expense to convert a .45 caliber down to 9mm would outweigh any benefit except as a curiosity.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 12 gauge View Post
    Much easier to step up to a 357 Sig. Available in several options about the same size for far less money than it would take to convert your Kahr...
    I do believe this will be your best bet since the 357SIG is based on the 40S&W the breechface and extractor will not need to change and you will be able to use the same mags also. The only thing is you will need the CW40 first.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Just have to get a heavier wolff recoil spring set and a someone to make you a barrel. for the 40sw kahr.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    As much as I'd loved to have a 1911 in .38 Super, with the advancement in 9mm +P and +P+ the gap in power has all but closed in commercial ammunition. Throw in the .357 Sig and .357 Mag and there's no real reason for any gun maker to continue the .38 Super (except for export to Mexico and the like).
    38 Super / SC rules the roost in USPSA/Ipsc Open Division. I understand this isn't big numbers... but it most likely will not go away. The Sig example, maybe not so much.

While there is much to like about the 38, in this case, I think I'd save my pennies and use a 9 with good ammo.

I know it's popular for matches, but how does a 38 Super do in SD applications?
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

A Kahr CW45 converted to .38 super is (IMHO) an exercise in theoretical, outrageously-expensive gunsmithing. Just as a suggestion, but it'd be much, MUCH less expensive, more practical & more functional just to buy a Colt Lightweight Commander originally chambered in .38 super & enjoy the advantages of a factory handgun. I have one, it's great! There's one on Gunbroker right now for $1095. That's LOTS cheaper than this experimental, temperamental hybrid you've got in mind.

The .38 super was an earlier .357 sig-type development. It's a FINE defensive caliber. Approaches .357 mag performance (in the lighter bullet weights) & punched through car doors like butter.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Links