Building an AR - Page 2

Building an AR

This is a discussion on Building an AR within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've built several AR's from kits which is where you save money,building a top tier gun isn't gonna save you a lot.I think my next ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Building an AR

I've built several AR's from kits which is where you save money,building a top tier gun isn't gonna save you a lot.I think my next AR's will be 2 Colt 6920's me and wife,and then change out the handguard for lightweight quads and mount aimpoint PRO's,light and VFG,that should just about do it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Just an update. I have done a little more research and this is what I have come up with as far as cheapest parts cost from ebay, gunbroker and Cheaper than Dirt.

BM gov profile non-chrome lined barrel - $130 (ebay)
    SPIKES stripped flat top upper Comes with forward assist and dust cover - $100 (GB)
    SPIKES stripped lower - $115 (GB)
    BCM bolt carrier group - $150 (ebay)
    UTG milspec buffer tube kit - $31.99 (ebay)
    Colt pistol grip, collapsable stock, hand guards - $60 (ebay)
    Gas tube - $12 (ebay)
    DPMS trigger group - $28 (ebay)
    front sight gas block with sling swivel - $14 (ebay)
    Windham complete lower parts kit - $68.95 (CTD)
    Barrel nut - $11.11 (ebay)
    Delta ring - $12.99 (ebay)
    Flash Hider - $8.44 (CTD)
    Charging handle - $11.50 (ebay)
    Total = $725.98

So for a little over $700 bucks for an AR build. Of coarse once tax and shipping are included it would probably well exceed $800.
    If I am leaving anything out please feel free to chime in!

I think if you shop around and be patient you will save some money. I was looking to spend around $700 on a new pre built AR15 at my local gun store. It came down to a S&W M&P sport for $675 OTD, a DPMS for $742 OTD, or a Del Ton for $742 OTD. I ended up spending about $665 total on a rifle built in a way that kept the price low while at the same time using parts I preferred. It has a Palmetto State lower and upper assembly, a Joebob premium M16 BCG, a Spikes tactical charging handle, and Magpul stock and grip. So far it has function flawlessly.
    I saved about $10-$77 over buying one of the prebuilt ones in the store. From what I have heard from from several gun store associates and from reading online, a Palmetto State Armory AR is a step above the ones I would have purchased. Some even said they would put it in the $1000 price range of ARs. I don't know if that is true because I never owned or shot another AR.

IMO the biggest thing for me was the joy I had picking the parts, putting it together, and gaining some knowledge of how the rifle goes together and its inner workings.

+1 luvmy40. It was a feeling of accomplishment and a sense of pride for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links