With which firearm were you introduced to the joys of shooting?

This is a discussion on With which firearm were you introduced to the joys of shooting? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ithaca 12 ga. SxS. Dad's help was there but I still ended up with a slighty bloody nose....

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: With which firearm were you introduced to the joys of shooting?

Ithaca 12 ga. SxS. Dad's help was there but I still ended up with a slighty bloody nose.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Well my first shooting experience was with a Daisy BB gun. Powder fired guns would have been a bolt action single shot .22 in the YMCA Indian Guide program, back in the 50's.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Great question. Really takes me back...

After the BB guns I had, the first real firearm I became familiar with was my buddy's muzzleloader which his dad gave him as a kit. We shot that thing endlessly, never really tiring of the procedure. After that, he got a Ruger 10/22 or a TC Contender. Can't remember which came first but I think it was the TC. It was back in the 80's anyway, my memory's fuzzy on the specific order of things. Anyway, my friend kept me interested in firearms since my family wasn't into them (not anti, just busy with other things). Later, I got my own 10/22. After that, they just kept coming in rather rapid succession.

I don't remember the exact date/age, but I went from a bb/pellet to a bolt action .22 over 6 decades ago.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My first fun day with guns was in 1998. When my brother in law brung his guns out to play. A berreta 9mm ruger mini14 colt 38 12 ga shotgun ruger sinle action 357 and a 45/70 single shot rifle. A fun day indeed alot of lead went down range that day. And Ive been hooked ever since.

Dad made me shoot a single shot bolt action Winchester .22 until I could prove myself to him safe to carry ( by 10 or 11) my semi auto Remington 550-1 that my old Uncle gave me when I was 5 months old. Started shotguns with a Stevens M 94 in 20 ga until I could prove myself and pump a Remington Pump. First pistol I remember shooting was an H&R top break .22 with what in my memories was a 10" barrel. This one had been traded off before I left home, but it was my first. Look what this exposure has wrought. We lived on a farm and could be in the woods on the creek in minutes, and we did!

M1 Garand at ROTC Summer Camp in '63. Came from a home with no firearms, no hunting so other than plinking a friends 22 a couple of times this was my intro. Did well, they said it was probably because I had no bad habits for them to break.
    There isn't a wall high enough to stop illegal immigrants when the reward on the other side is free health care, jobs, driver's licenses and free college tuition subsidized by American taxpayers.

My first firearm experience was in the Boy Scouts. Just a simple single shot bolt .22 and then a few different types of 20 gauge shotguns. My Dad had stopped hunting by the time I was born because he had no time to do it, but after I took interest in target and skeet shooting we went out occasionally. My first handgun experience was with his single action .22 revolver.

The actual joy of shooting? M16A1 then i became the unit armorer and got to fire everything we had. Fired shotguns when I was young but without proper guidance (just shoot it you'll be fine) it wasnt a joyful experience

Started with BB guns until I was a teen. Then graduated to Browning A5 20 gauge and eventually to 12 gauges. Lots of great memories shooting clays on Saturday mornings with dad.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    The first gun I fired was a Remington Sportsman 48 12 gauge. I recently inherited it when my dad passed. The one that really set me on down this path tho was a Remington 510 target master I shot at Scout camp. Up until recently I still had my first 22 rifle, A Marlin 60 that I paid $29.99 for at K mart in 1975. I recently gave it to one of my adult sons.

Here it is after a squirrel hunt a few years back.

And after I cleaned it up and replaced the stock.

Not a bad look for the old girl! I'm working on cutting down another old model 60 for my grand daughter. 16" barrel, 10 shot magazine, and a proper sized stock for small sized girl! I'm trying to cut weight off the front of the gun. DR

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    In the mid 40s, my brother got a cheap .22 bolt action rifle with a peep sight and I learned about shooting from that. I suspect it was a J.C. Higgins, because my dad bought me a J.C. Higgins revolver later when I graduated from grammar school. I've been shooting ever since.

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    Marlin model 60 when i was a kid then gave guns up for most of my life.

VIP Member
    Remington Target Master 510P single shot bolt action 22lr.

Llama ? 32 pistol.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

For me it was a Colt Woodsman.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links