With which firearm were you introduced to the joys of shooting?

This is a discussion on With which firearm were you introduced to the joys of shooting? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Back in the early 1950's, my dad would take me shooting his Remington (1946) semi auto .22 rifle. I still have the rifle today....

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: With which firearm were you introduced to the joys of shooting?

Back in the early 1950's, my dad would take me shooting his Remington (1946) semi auto .22 rifle. I still have the rifle today.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government".
    Patrick Henry

2. Remove Ads

Like some others, a Daisy BB gun around age eight or so then a single shoot .22 around age ten.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

In 1959 my father taught me how to shoot his J.C. Higgins 9 shot .22 revolver, I was six years old. He gave me the revolver before he passed away.
    If you died today and stood in front of God and He asked you " Why should I let you into My Heaven?" what would you say?

First firearm I ever shot was my dad's M1 Carbine in 1963. Was six so he "helped." A year or two later I was shooting a Marlin bolt action single shot .22 around the lake cabin with supervision. First handgun was one of my uncle's revolvers, either a Smith & Wesson Model 15 .38 Special or a Colt Single Action Army .45 "Artillery Model." Don't recall which was first but the Colt .45 belted me in the face. Was probably the summer of 1968. First shotgun was a Fox hammer model double barrel 12 gauge, lent to a cousin and I to share for an afternoon's dove hunt. One of my older cousins came by and suggested that I: "shoot the mud, it's neat" so I aimed at a mud bank in a shallow creek, fired and managed to cover the three of us in mud. This would have been dove season of 1968.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

When I was done with my bottles/sippy cups my dad took me and my brother up a dirt road and let us shoot them with his 22mag revolver. That's when I learned what a powder burn felt like and why you always listen to the guy teaching you how to shoot.

A few months later dad bought us a chipmunk 22lr single shot rifle.

When I was 11 he let me start shooting his 12 gauge during squirrel season

A bolt action .22 rifle when at a summer camp in the mid 60's. Was 9 years old then. A few years later got my first rifle for Christmas, a Glenfield (Marlin) Model 75 semi-auto rifle. Still have and still enjoy shooting that rifle.

An FN Browning Hi-Power complete with German military stampings that Dad brought back from WWII, followed by a Marlin 30-30 with a Zeiss scope. The Hi-Power is regrettably no longer in my possession, but the Marlin and the scope are safe and sound.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

VIP Member
    Remington model 12 pump action, octagonal barrel .22. I was about 11-12 when I first shot it. It was my dad's. I now have it and it is a great little gun. Takes down easy - not as easy as my 10/22 take down - but easy enough and is fun to shoot. I really like the tubular magazine.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    Springfield 1903 a3
    Kimberpackn likes this.

The first gun I shot was a Daisy .22 that used a round that was way ahead of it's time in the early 70's. I think it was a Daisy, but the rifle was a single shot that fired a round that had no case just a bullet with the powder or charge which was solid and ignited by air pressure as the gun had no firing pin. I don't even know if you can get ammo for the gun today.

Re: With which firearm were you introduced to the joys of shooting?

My fathers Colt Trooper MKIII 4" .357. Love that revolver.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    As a kid, my Dad took my brother and I out with a nondescript 20 gauge single shot a couple times. That was it until boot-camp when we shot a couple mags in a 1911. I liked that. My first own firearm was a S&W 28 that I bought after I got married. That was fun and I learned a lot with it.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Here is a picture of the ammo used for the Daisy VL. vl 001.jpg Daisy VL.jpg
    bmcgilvray likes this.

The first gun I ever shot as an adolescent was a S&W Model 19 .38, which had previously been my dad's service weapon as a LEO in CO in the 70s. We went to a local range and put a couple hundred rounds downrange between the two of us.

VIP Member
    Stevens .410 at 5 years old..still remember how bad that hurt.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links