With which firearm were you introduced to the joys of shooting? - Page 6

With which firearm were you introduced to the joys of shooting?

This is a discussion on With which firearm were you introduced to the joys of shooting? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; 1936 K98 Mauser. I'll never forget the bruise that thing gave me on my shoulder! :) I was HOOOOOKED!...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: With which firearm were you introduced to the joys of shooting?

1936 K98 Mauser. I'll never forget the bruise that thing gave me on my shoulder! :) I was HOOOOOKED!

single shot Stevens .410
    CowboyColby likes this.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    I can't remember if it was a .22 or a .410 if memory serves me right it was a single shot .410 I learned to shoot with (not counting bb guns) then a Henry Lever Action .22 was my own first real gun. I wont' tell you how old I was as I doubt I was walking yet

In basic training M14. Then in 11B training the M60, ma deuce, and M79. Then 1911. AFTER arrival in Vietnam the M16.

I started with a .410 Iver Johnson shotgun that looked like a lever action, but it was a single shot and the lever broke the action open. Started shooting rabbits and squirrels when I was 6-7. My first rifle was a .22 bolt action and I cannot for the life of me remember what kind it was or what happened to it. My brother has the .410 and he is a big lib, but not anti gun. I know he has not shot a gun in decades so I hope that one day he gives the .410 to me.
    My next shotgun was an Iver Johnson 12G single shot with a full choke and 30" barrel. I still have that one and use it for turkey every great once in a while. I will say that gun made me the duck hunter I am today. When you learn to hunt em with that tight of a gun and a single shot at that, you learn to make every shot count.
    A word to the wise isn't necessary, save it for the stupid

About 9 years old and it was a Remington 1100 12 gauge, a Marlin .22 and a Ruger .22 pistol. We were on an old abandon Japanese air strip on Guam. I loved my Dad. Thanks for the memories.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

Leaned to shoot in high school

I was in the 10th grade in 1963. One of our required courses at the time was ROTC. My high school had a rifle range in the basement of the building. Once a week we would spend an hour shooting a single shot 22 short bolt action rifle of some unknown make. It was great fun. I have been shooting ever since.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Sponsored Links