Tragedy as Father Accidentally shoots 7 yr old son - Page 2

Tragedy as Father Accidentally shoots 7 yr old son

This is a discussion on Tragedy as Father Accidentally shoots 7 yr old son within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by OldVet So sad for the family. Another points deduction for Taurus. So stupid unsafe gun handling is now Taurus's fault? I am ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Tragedy as Father Accidentally shoots 7 yr old son

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    So sad for the family. Another points deduction for Taurus.
    So stupid unsafe gun handling is now Taurus's fault?

I am not a Taurus fan and this is tragic but it is entirely the father's fault.

Pray that no more kids get shot. Let me know how it works out.
    darbo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    So sad for the family. Another points deduction for Taurus.
    Sorry OldVet I respect your opinions greatly but what the heck does this have to do with Taurus? This is how the anti's think blame the tool not the user. If it had been a Glock would you have posted that comment?
    darbo and Ghettokracker71 like this.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Tragedy: Man carrying pistol in hand, NDs at gun store, kills 7 y/o son.

I can't imagine the heartbreak. Please everyone be extra safe EVERY SECOND!

Officials: Boy, 7, shot to death at Pa. gun store | Press & Sun-Bulletin | pressconnects.com

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports that the boy was shot when his fatherís handgun went off as the man got into the truck while holding the gun.

Police say 44-year-old Joseph V. Loughrey told them he had emptied the magazine but didnít realize a bullet was still in the chamber.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Tragic, but preventable.

Running here, too.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...r-old-son.html
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    I heard of this incident and it made me more angry than anything else. I feel for the family but this should never (and need not ever) happen. In my state a couple of years ago, a 9 year old boy shot himself in front of his father and the range officer with an Uzi at a sanctioned event (run by the local chief of police). Why is a 9-year old handling an Uzi!!? Absolutely tragic. "Treat every gun as if it is loaded" is the first in the dictum of safe firearms handling. I'm not a gun control advocate by any mean, but let's face it, some people have no business owning a firearm. I've seen so much clueless, lazy, dangerous, and stupid behavior at ranges, while hunting, and just when people want to show me their latest "toy" that it's staggering. We're in a battle with this current administration and many regular citizens to preserve our second amendment rights, we don't need people behaving so irresponsibly. My condolences go out to this family, they've experienced a loss that is worse than any I can possibly imagine. But there must be a way without adding tons of legislation, to ensure that people who buy guns have some clue as to what they are doing.
    shockwave likes this.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    I would like to know:
    1. Why the father pointed the gun at his kid
    2. Why he pulled the trigger.
    3. If someone tells me that isn't what happened, then what did?
    4. I understand he thought the gun was empty. So what?
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Doc View Post
    I would like to know:
    1. Why the father pointed the gun at his kid
    2. Why he pulled the trigger.
    3. If someone tells me that isn't what happened, then what did?
    4. I understand he thought the gun was empty. So what?
    Freedom Doc nailed it.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

As the father of a 7 year old, I'm a little numb with this one. These little pieces of metal are made to kill people...you have to respect them or something tragic is going to happen.

I don't think all the facts are out on this one.

There's definitely more to this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Well if it is what I think it is -- we will never hear about it.

I think the father was playing a (STUPID) practical joke that turned tragic.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

I've read a few different accounts now, can't shake this boy from my mind. Like someone else said, one of my boys is that age... I read one account he was backing out, but have also seen the following:
    " The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reported that the boy was shot when his father's handgun went off as the man got into the truck while holding the gun."
    Police: Pennsylvania father accidentally shoots, kills 7-year-old son | Duluth News Tribune | Duluth, Minnesota

Getting into the truck while holding the gun seems to make the most sense. Maybe carrying it with his finger on the trigger, he thought it was empty. The safety rules really don't seem that hard...

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RAL View Post
    Originally Posted by Brady I cannot even imagine... words fail me. Romans 8:26-27

From ValpoHawkeye: Really?! This horribly tragic event and you're going with "it's god's will"? What a horrible god.
    __________________________________________________ _________________________________

Romans 8:26-27 says - And the Holy Spirit helps us in our distress. For we don't even know what we should pray for, nor how we should pray. But the Holy Spirit prays for us with groanings that cannot be expressed in words. And the Father who knows all hearts knows what the Spirit is saying, for the Spirit pleads for us believers, in harmony with God's own will.

I agree with Brady. My heart breaks for the family. I will be praying for God to heal the hearts of this hurting family. I will be asking that the mother be able to forgive her husband, and the father be able to forgive himself.
    Thanks RAL, it never occurred to me that someone would reply like that without even reading the verses.

Valpo, in-depth discussion of religion isn't allowed here and I have no desire to argue, but feel free to pm me if you would like to discuss this civilly. My God is a GOOD God and he is righteous in every way. We don't always like it or understand it but then, He created us, not vise versa.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Distinguished Member
    If the barrel is pointed at something you would not want destroyed - major fail. The safety rules are there for a reason and, if they are ALL followed, this should never happen. If just ONE of the rules are not followed, tragedy can result. Complacency kills.
    darbo, msgt/ret and shockwave like this.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

I wouldn't like to argue either. I regret bringing it up. Fwiw, I read the verses. I've read the bible, cover to cover, a dozen times. But that's not the point. I get sensitive at the notion that god is in control or we should pray to him for comfort at times like this. We buried my sister 7 years ago on this very day. I've heard all about the "god of comfort". I used to preach it myself. But I can't resolve an almighty, omnipotent omniscient god who is "love" allowing and not preventing awful things like this. It's so heartbreaking. So my apologies. I don't want to hijack a thread or offend. I just have to swallow some bile when I hear about god's hand or comfort in matters like this. But I think we're all in agreement that no matter what we believe, our heart breaks for that boy, his father and the family. So sad.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links